BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Subject: looking for a good game store near New Brunswick NJ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: new_jersey [+] [View All]
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I just moved to New Brunswick New Jersey and I am looking for a good game store to buy from. Anyone know of any? I like a variety of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Room in the Woodbridge Mall on Route 1 has a decent selection but you will be paying suggested retail.

The BG King is a bit further but they have a huge selection, better pricing and a play area. Check out his website.
http://www.boardgameking.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Room has the surliest employees I've ever come across. The selection is pretty good, though.

For a smaller selection and a friendlier experience, check out Little Shop of Comics in Scotch Plains.

My favorite store is Time Warp in Cedar Grove, but that's a bit of a trek from New Brunswick.

Anyway, welcome to the state!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, I have been to the Game Room. It is really over priced. Maybe I will check out the over places

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fenwick
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Tower Games (now blended with Bad Moo Collectibles) in Denville is pretty good. They have a fair collection of wide ranging games.

Denville's probably a 1/2 hour to 40 minutes away from New Brunswick.

You can check their website (http://www.badmoo.com/) for directions. Don't despair if you look at the site, their web site doesn't focus on their board game selection much, but they do have a pretty good one!

Also, there is a kiosk I just stumbled over at the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne that had a fairly surprising selection of games. The dude running it said it was just seasonal, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, the Game Room. I recall it well. I bought my copy of Settlers there. And never went back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Gamer's Realm" in West Windsor is not far from New Brunswick. Used to go there all the time when I lived in the area, but have not been there for several years. At the time, they had a great selection of boardgames, miniatures, CCG's, RPG's, books, and comics, including many OOP games. They have a large gaming area and host weekly board game nights, a good way to meet gamers in the area.

You can search store inventory on their site:

http://www.gamersrealm.com/store1/index.php

Good luck, and welcome to New Jersey! I kept telling people someone would move here in 2007, but they were too busy packing to listen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Rosen
United States
Wimauma
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have looked far and wide in this state for a good game store and the answer is there simply is none. I have been to every one of the stores already mentioned and they all suffer from a small to very small stock of games. There are a few stores in the south of the state, one on Route 70 (the name escapes me) that is about the best of the worst.

The only game store I can truly say that I found impressive is Days of Knights, in Newark, Delaware. Their stock of games is simply not to be believed and far surpasses any other store I have ever been to in any state. However, like most brick and mortar game stores, they charge list price for games. However, as it is Delaware, there is no sales tax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Well, I grew up around West Chester Pa and a new store called The Games Keep opened up in West Chester about 2 years ago. It has a nice selection and the guy that runs it is pretty cool. He sells stuff about 5% to 15% off retail but its way to far from me know. I am going to check out BG King tonight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Volz
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The spirit in the machine.
badge
I can almost make out a shape...
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several hobby shops that carry small game selections. They're not great, but they should have games you can't find in Barnes & Noble. To add to the ones listed here already:

Maplewood Hobby (http://www.maplewoodhobby.com/) has a ton of stuff, including a selection of board games.

There used to be a Wizards of the Coast store in the Bridgewater Commons Mall, and they had all of the WotC board games, but they closed down years ago, sadly.

There also used to be a game shop called Boyhood Dreams in Piscataway. When I moved to the neighborhood I remembered it and was thrilled with the idea that I'd finally moved near a shop I could patronize, only to find out it closed it's door less than a year earlier. *sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Evans
United States
West Berlin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

It looks like you are getting some pretty wild suggestions so I thought I'd throw my hat in! I have friends in New Brunswick (and went to school at Rutgers) I can usually get from the store to downtown New Brunswick in 1 hour (as long as the traffic isn't too bad!)

I own All Things Fun! we are located on Rt 73 in West Berlin, NJ (Exit 4 off the NJ Turnpike.) Depending on the time of year we stock anywhere from 1,500 to 2,500 different card and board game titles. We also stock a full compliment of CCG, CMG and comics. In addition to a full schedule of events we run a weekly Open Board Game Night which has become a great place to meet your fellow game players and to learn about all kinds of great games.

You can check out our website and get more information at www.allthingsfun.net. I hope you'll make the trip!

Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions!

Have a great holiday!!!!
-Ed

Ed Evans
All Things Fun!
Toys, Games, Comics & Adventure
185 C Route 73 North
West Berlin, NJ 08091
(856)719-1414
www.allthingsfun.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason roberts
msg tools
mb
Yeah the Game Room in Woodbridge used to be good but as a wargamer they carry limited companies + charge full retail.I wonder if they sell half the the other junk they have there.yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW talk about digging up posts from the grave. The last time this post was active and replied to was December of 2007 almost 4 years ago. But, in case others from NJ are looking for a place to purchase games.

Have a look at

Toys for Thought http://toysforthought.com/store/
310 3rd Street
Lakewood, NJ
732-363-4009

Ask for Mike and mention BGG (He's active on BGG as well)

Though the store is mostly a toy store they do carry a selection of Board Games and if you don't find what you are looking for, Mike will gladly order it for you at a resonable discount as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, If we're bringing this thread back to life ...

... Family Fun Hobbies on Rt 33 in Hamilton has a good selection of games. They also do boardgame night every Tuesday Night.

They also do a Dungeon and Dragons night (not sure which night) and Magic the Gathering on Friday nights. Google the name for their website.

The owner, Rob, is great at customer service and has a good knowledge of games. Best of all, he doesn't act like he knows everything. I brought Roll Through the Ages to game night last month, he had never played it but he liked and now he stocks the game.

And he does a %20 discount on pre-orders.

It's a great store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, the Game Room chain consolidated the vast majority of their gaming stock down to their Point Pleasant location on Route 88 a few years back. I was last there 3 years ago and while they had a nice big room in the back with a decent selection of games, the whole place was mostly dedicated to Warhammer. I went in on a Friday night and the place was packed to the gills, hot, muggy, and had such an incredibly foul odor that I had to walk out.

When I was a teenager I used to hang out at The Gamers Realm when it first opened, and a few other now-defunct stores with names that escape me. Wonder how that shop is doing.

I'm in Jackson now and it seems that there really aren't good stores that you can just walk in and get a pick-up game going, at least none within a half-hour radius. Might have to venture out and try All Things Fun someday. As for buying games I can also vouch for Mike over at Toys For Thought in Lakewood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought on this: the Freehold Barnes & Noble seriously has the biggest and best game selection of any store I've been to in the local area. Of course you'll have to pay retail, but they have the occasional sale and a thrice-yearly clearance for games that aren't selling. Last week I was able to grab Hive for $15 which was a good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason roberts
msg tools
mb
Does any of these mentioned in this thread carry Wargames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
buffalojoe wrote:

Games Keep has a couple of shelf sections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalojoe wrote:

Family Fun Hobbies has some wargames, your not going to find obscure stuff but they some current popular games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
king robert
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey i was visited your site maplewood .It is very nice site .

New Brunswick NJ Locksmith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
I've been on the lookout for decent game stores in New Jersey, and Time Warp Comics in Cedar Grove is FANTASTIC. I found it because it is listed as a retailer for Star Realms on their website, so I figured they must have a decent selection, and I drove 30 minutes out of the way to check it out.

I was really glad I did, because their selection was incredible. They had literally hundreds of games, including most of the classic and popular games that BGG fans like. I can only think of a couple games I'm interested in that they DIDN'T have, and even then they had expansions for those games so they were probably just temporarily out of stock. The downside is that prices are MSRP, but I was so impressed by their stock that I purchased Ascension: Dawn of Champions at full price to show my support. I'm glad I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls