Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eugene Zehner
United States
Saint Cloud
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, taking a quick family vacation to Stockholm 4-7 Jan 08.

Anything that we must see? Best way to get around?

Any Scandinavian game we must pick-up?

We'd like to grab a TTR: Nordic countries game while there. Where can we get a copy?

We're thinking about taking a train to Uppsala and back on Sunday. Good idea?

We'll be staying at a B&B in Stockholm while there and can play games in the evening. English - Fine, German - Good, Swedish - None

Take Care,

Gene Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hammar
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
OutpostGamma wrote:
Hey, taking a quick family vacation to Stockholm 4-7 Jan 08.
Yay. Welcome.

OutpostGamma wrote:
Anything that we must see?
Eh… You're missing the winter. It sort of went like "Eh? Me? Hell, I'm at Essen playing Agricola, don't disturb!"
Try the typical, walk through Gamla Stan a bit. It's flooded with tourists, but it's still good. I'm not much for pointing in the direction of museums, I'm much for seeing the city itself, so I'd just recommend to take a stroll around.
Don't miss the sunsets if you get any.
Try hitting Västerbron after sunset. Well, way after sunset, say at like 20:00. It's pretty off central Stockholm, but the view from there is probably one of the best. All the city lights glittering in the water.
I like the church Klara Kyrka aswell. It's very central (right outside Central Station) and beautiful.
If you get the time, and feel like some evening life, take a walk on Söder, south of Gamla Stan after office hours. "Fjällgatan" is a highly located street on Söder (eastern part) with a fantastic view out over Gamla Stan and the northern part of Stockholm. Well frequented, but worth a visit if you have a map around to follow. Or ask anyone around, it's pretty famous.

OutpostGamma wrote:
Best way to get around?
Unless you want to walk, which is a pretty good option, buy a 3 day train pass. It's a bit steep (150SEK) but it'll bring you around on all buses, commuter trains and metros. You can buy prepaid tickets for 10SEK each, and each trip will be typically 2 of those (i.e. 20 SEK), but if you plan of riding much, it'll be so much easier just having this pass.

OutpostGamma wrote:
Any Scandinavian game we must pick-up?
Not that I can think of that are available now. That would be the new Dungeon Quest, but it's out of print since a year back or so. No supercool Swedish games around that are easy to find.

OutpostGamma wrote:
We'd like to grab a TTR: Nordic countries game while there. Where can we get a copy?
In almost any bookstore, I guess. Unless they've taken away their stack. Try Akademibokhandeln, they usually have a stack, and they're easy enough to find. Just ask anyone.
Else than that, Stockholm is rather void of board game shops, the only one pretty easy to find is SF-bokhandeln in Gamla Stan. Second floor there is role playing games and board games. Ask anyone in Gamla Stan.

OutpostGamma wrote:
We're thinking about taking a train to Uppsala and back on Sunday. Good idea?
Why not? Haven't lived here for so long so I don't know what to look at, but why not check the church?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Zehner
United States
Saint Cloud
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Simon. We're kind of into just strolling around with little or no direction and your suggestions sound great!

Take Care,

Gene Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls