Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
Apparently the internal changes to geeklists that were made and reported by http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/269420 have broken the XML API for geeklists.

As such, it's broken the Online Wantlist Generator/Editor for math trades (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/159648).

This affects hundreds of users who use the tool, which includes BGG admins. Please fix!

Thanks,

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Texas A&M UniversityMicrobadge: New York Mets fanMicrobadge: Wolverines!!!Microbadge: New York Thin-Crust Pizza loverMicrobadge: Alton Brown fan - Brilliant, Quirky, Food Network Host
Though there's no Math Trade that I'm involved in right now---as someone who has used this tool many, many times---PLEASE fix this!

Thanks again, Jeff---for making this tool available to the BGG community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
Merkles Boner wrote:
Though there's no Math Trade that I'm involved in right now---as someone who has used this tool many, many times---PLEASE fix this!
For what it's worth, the actual number of folks who have used the tool appears to be 522 from my stats.

I must say that I'm really surprised that we are getting ignored I had even sent a private geekmail to BGG admin Daniel Karp who had asked if anyone had geeklist issues after the changes Aldie made to them on Friday.

I was expecting at least a response or reply that said in the least that they have no plans to fix it so I could attempt to implement plan B (data mine the html geeklist pages themselves and hope the html doesn't change in the middle of another math trade).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
"The raised fist logo may represent unity or solidarity, generally with oppressed peoples."
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...
I'm sure it will be fixed at some point--Aldie is a big fan of the math trades.

I'm sorry for ignoring you, although I have to point out that you appear to have emailed me on a Saturday night. I'm not ALWAYS on email, and I'm less likely to respond over the weekend, particularly to a question that I don't really know the answer to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Daniel,

thanks for the response. would love to have Aldie in some of the mega math trades with the size of his collection! (though I doubt he wants to give up any of his games in trade unless he has duplicates).

Was kind of hoping the delay in hearing anything was that the GL changes were also going to be an BGG integrated want list generator which would be awesome

Hopefully Aldie will get a chance to at least respond with an ETA so I know if I need to hack something up as a band aid (which is bad timing for me). Depending what the actual internal geeklist changes were, my guess was that db field names simply changes so it may just be a simple change to to the sql query string the xml api uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Microbadge: GameNight! fanMicrobadge: Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game fanMicrobadge: All the Meeples of the Rainbow blog
Sorry about that - I'll get it fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie wrote:
Sorry about that - I'll get it fixed.
A million (well at least several dozen in the currently active math trades) thank you's!

ps: I gave you a token GG tip (would give you lots more if you weren't the one printing the money )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Microbadge: GameNight! fanMicrobadge: Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game fanMicrobadge: All the Meeples of the Rainbow blog
Should be fixed now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie wrote:
Should be fixed now.
I can confirm that! The OLWLG is back online! Again a million thanks!

If you plan to make it up to Boston (Wakefield) for UG-14 on the 26th, and I'll pay your admission!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
Microbadge: I play with pink!Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Geist - Plush CthulhuMicrobadge: Deep Games fanMicrobadge: 18xx fan
Thanks for getting this taken care of so quickly -- I'm running a (local) trade that closes this week, and I have a number of first-time users...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls