Brett
United States
Santa Clara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,

I am moving to South Bay within the next few months and do not know the area very well. I would like to be relatively close to a few game stores that have weekly meet-ups. The area that I will be working in is located in Sunnyvale and am looking for somewhere maybe around this area?

I don't know much about the bay (except for traffic) and don't know where would be a "nice" area to live. I don't want to live any further south than Sunnyvale, and I don't know about living further north than Millbrae, as that would be too long of a commute I believe.

I do know about EndGame and have been there on many occasions, but this is the only store I know of that has weekly meet-ups.

Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived in the Bay Area for 8 years before moving to NYC. Gator Games in San Mateo is a pretty nice store. I'm not sure about their meet-ups, but I did notice several gaming tables.

I know of another one in Mountain View off El Camino: Gamescape. There is also one in SF.

Scenario Hobbies in Fremont was by far the best, but I heard it's closed down. cry

It's been three years since I've lived there, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Good luck on the move. I lived in Burlingame and loved it there. Menlo Park is also nice and anywhere on the 101 or 280 corridor. I would stay away from East Palo Alto and some areas of Redwood City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Lafayette
CO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you don't mind a short drive up the Peninsula, we meet the last Saturday of every month:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boardgameaddicts/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm shooting from the hip here, because I don't have access to details like addresses at the moment. But I can get you those details when you are closer to arriving.

zonk67 wrote:
I know of another one in Mountain View off El Camino: Gamescape. There is also one in SF.

The one in SF is still there, but the one in Mountain View is gone. cry It was half a mile from where I work!

Game Kastle near the San Jose airport is an excellent store. They host some gaming, but I'm not sure about schedule. Legends in the Vallco Mall in Cupertino is a nice store, although I don't think they host any sessions.

Gamers meet at Yahoo every Monday night, and in Mountain View every Tuesday (I think).

Los Altos Game Day is held at the Los Altos Public Library every six weeks or so -- the schedule is irregular because the room has to be reserved one event at a time. There's a mailing list.

And finally, you can drop me a GeekMail when you're settled. Helen and I live in west San Jose near Cupertino, and we'll have you over to our place to meet us and some of our gamer friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monthly games day in Los Altos. Typically, there are about 50 people there:

http://davekohr.users.sonic.net/gamesday/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
Sunnyvale and Mountain View are reasonably priced places to live for the San Francisco Bay Area

Castro street in Mountain View is a nice area if you can find a reasonable place near there.

I grew up in Palo Alto. Unfortunately most of the gaming stores in the South Bay have closed. I think it was just too expensive with bay area rents, more games available online, etc. You know about Endgame, and Black Diamond games in Walnut Creek also does some events, but those are both a haul. I attend the SF Games group up here in SF. That one is pretty cool, so I'm guessing its sister group down in Sunnyvale is cool as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
kentreuber wrote:
Monthly games day in Los Altos. Typically, there are about 50 people there:

http://davekohr.users.sonic.net/gamesday/

I'd put it a bit higher than that, but yeah.

SB-Boardgamers meets every Monday evening from 18030 - 24:00 at the Yahoo! cafeteria in Sunnyvale. Typical attendance is in the 30+ range and Yahoo! offers a subsidised cafeteria and covered parking ($5 three course meal).

Dukefish meets every Monday night in Jake's Pizza in Sunnyvale. Typical attendance is around 8-10 IIRC.

SVB meets every Tuesday night in the Mountain View community centre from 18:30-22:00. Typical attendance is in the 20+ range.

Endgame Oakland meets every Wednesday in Oakland, but you know about them. Attendance was ~12 last time I was there.

SJ Boardgamers meets most Wednesdays nights (slightly erratic schedule) in a pizza join in South San Jose. I understand attendance is usually 4-6.

BA Eurogames meets every Thursday night up in Redwood City area. I understand that typical attendance is in the 3-6 range.

TrivalleyGamers also meets every Thursday night over by Santa Rosa (up 680 way). Typical attendance seems to be in the 2-4 range.

BAP (Boardgame Addicts of the Peninsula) meets every last Saturday in Foster City from 10:00-17:00. Typical attendance is 25+. This is an unusually family and kid-friendly group.

Endgame Oakland, also on the last Saturday of the month. I understand that attendance is ~15.

The Los Altos Gamesday (see SVB) meets in the Los Altos Public Library every ~6 weeks from 10:00-02:00ish (16 hours). Attendance commonly ranges from 60-80.

There are also a large number of semi-private and private gaming groups in the area. The last time I attempted a survey I made a list of over 60 total groups in no more than a few hours of searching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My recommendation for game group is sb-boardgamers, which meets at the Yahoo! headquarters. When you say you're going to be working in Sunnyvale, possibly you mean you'll be working there. However, you don't have to be a Yahoo! employee to be in the group. Lots of us aren't. But it would be convenient.

sb-boardgamers, Sunnyvale, Monday nights
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/sb-boardgamers/

We are quite a large group with usually four or five games simultaneously. The good thing about that is that you have some options about what to play. You don't just have to play what everyone else wants to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
clearclaw wrote:
SJ Boardgamers meets most Wednesdays nights (slightly erratic schedule) in a pizza join in South San Jose. I understand attendance is usually 4-6.

Just moved to variously erratically scheduled Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Quote:
TrivalleyGamers also meets every Thursday night over by Santa Rosa (up 680 way). Typical attendance seems to be in the 2-4 range.

Actually that's also Wednesdays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not in the South Bay, but the Berkeley Board Gamers have been meeting every Thursday at 7PM for about a year and a half now at Eudemonia in Berkeley. Check out our Meetup group for past attendance levels, which I think are pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Crumpler
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BBG! woot woot!

I mean, The berkeley board game group is a great place to spend Thursday evenings =o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Santa Clara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, It looks like I have a lot of options and I am glad to see that. Keep me posted through geekmail if you know of any events going on in the area, and once I move down, around March, I will hopefully see a lot of you at these groups. Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
logicalgambit wrote:
Keep me posted through geekmail if you know of any events going on in the area, and once I move down, around March, I will hopefully see a lot of you at these groups.

Almost all of the groups listed above have mailing lists. Subscribe to them and you'll receive notifications on their events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mirassou
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exclusively a game store, but another place that has weekly gaming is
Illusive Comics & Games, 2725 El Camino Real, Suite 105 Santa Clara

Website
http://www.illusivecomics.com/

The website list game day as Saturday, but I think they do some gaming on a weeknight as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls