Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of football fans on this site. I'm not talking about English football, I'm talking American football. The old pigskin. The gridiron. The game of inches. Our football season occurs during the fall and winter which brings cold weather giving us all the more reason to sit inside. But when you're sitting inside, do you watch the game, or play a game? Thanks to Tempt Destiny, you can do both.

Tempt Destiny takes a unique approach to the interactive game genre. Instead of using a DVD or video, Tempt Destiny uses football games. Professional, college, or Canadian, any football game will do. All you need is a football game, and a deck of Tempt Destiny cards, and you've got yourself a game.

Rules

Tempt Destiny really easy rules which is good because the game is far too light to have a deeper ruleset.

There are two decks of cards: a red deck and a blue deck. To start the game, deal each player 3 blue cards and 4 red cards. Any time a card in your hand matches what happens on the TV, place it down in front of you. However, a player may only play one card per play or commercial. For example, if the QB fumbles and the defense recovers and scores a touchdown, the play could only play either a Fumble or a Defensive Touchdown card, not both.

The game ends when one player runs out of cards or when the quarter is over. The player with the most points as shown on the cards they played is the winner.

During commercials players may discard one card of each color and draw a replacement.

The blue cards are simple plays, such as:

The red cards feature all the other things that can happen during a game and commercial breaks, such as:

As stated, the rules are really quite short. The game isn't about rules, its about enjoying football.

Components

Tempt Destiny is a card game. There's nothing else to the game besides teh cards. Fortunately, Maverick Inc. got it right and produced cards that are almost identical in thickness, coating, and flexibility to good playing cards. I have no doubt that these cards will last a long time. The box is big enough for both decks and rules come on 2 cards which fit right inside the box as well.

Gameplay

Random and unpredictable. Thats the best way to describe this game. Players have almost no control over any aspect of the game. We certainly can't control the football game no matter how hard we try. However, the creator has put in a few ways to minimize luck. First is the rule that only one card can be played per play or commercial. That prevents one player from having a lucky hand and playing 4 cards on one freak play. Secondly, there is the option to discard and draw new cards. That gives players a small measure of control regarding their options. Luck is at least 95% of this game, but those small tweaks make you feel like you have some control.

There's no turns like in most games. When a play happens that matches a card in your hand, you play it. Its that simple. There's no thinking about the optimal solution. You just watch the game, root for your favorite team, and hope the cards and plays go your way.

What makes the game fun to play is the experience. It adds a layer to something that many of us already enjoy immensely. Tempt Destiny gives you one more dimension of enjoyment for a football game. Even games that are blowouts or are really boring can be made exciting by this game. Its quite interesting to me that I find myself cheering for certain events as opposed to just cheering for my team. Even though we have no control over the events, real fans feel like the louder they yell at their TVs, the more likely the players are to hear them.

This game would also be right at home in bars where there's constantly a football game on during the season. There could easily be 10 people playing at one time which makes this a great game for social settings.

Tempt Destiny also has a very flexible game length system. You can basically play as long as you want. We usually play through a whole quarter, but there's nothing stopping you from doing it for a half or the entire game. Play it however you want, the system is really quite flexible.

Compare it to...

Fantasy football. Like fantasy football, Tempt Destiny adds one more layer to a football game. Both games add interest where there might not normally be any. Is your local team off, so you're forced to watch some game you don't care about? If you have Tempt Destiny or a fantasy team, there's probably something there worth watching. In short, both of these games provide a way to make football even more exciting than it already is.

Overall

Tempt Destiny has given gaming football fans something to cheer about: a way to combine two of our favorite things. Tempt Destiny is the ultimate interactive way to enjoy football and is a must for any football fan. This is a great game that really adds enjoyment to football. Many people will probably not view this as a game. It is a game, but its really more about adding to the football experience than the game itself.

I rate this game a 9, but its situational ranking. Basically, I look at it as I always want to watch football and I pretty much always want to play this game when watching football. Thats a pretty unusual way to rank it, but I think thats the best way to quantify my enjoyment of this game.

Tempt Destiny also serves as a great way to teach someone about football. Since many of the plays are broken down, you can teach someone on a play-by-play basis. There are certain basic elements to football which are easier to understand in small chunks, and Tempt Destiny helps new fans do that. This game really helped my fiancee to understand what I like about football and now she wants to play this constantly. If it gets her to watch football, I'm all for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a drinking game for teetotallers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all. Its a card game that you play based on the events of a football game. Liar's Dice is a drinking game. A$$hole is a drinking game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ugolini
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Sounds almost identical to the Monday Night Football: Interactive TV Card Game.

When my group played, we each picked a card before each play, and scored if the event on that card occurred during the play. This added a bit of control and risk management, and gave a little edge to the people who knew football well. It's pretty much roll-to-see-who-wins otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this is not my kind of game, I know a lot of people who would really enjoy this game. Thanks for letting me know it exists!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help! This is a great little game to give as a gift to a football fan. It only costs about $10 which is quite affordable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By "drinking game" I meant those games where you take a shot every time something particular happens during the game, such as this one for the Independence Bowl:

http://tinyurl.com/2md2m6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Allen
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on this review, I decided to give this one a go. Hey, it's only $10. I'll post my impressions of it when I get my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Allen
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it Sat. before the Super Bowl. Your review was spot on. I had to play it "solitaire" mode because I've got 2 kids under the age of 4 and my wife had to work (sigh....). After I finished pondering how sad my social life has become and the kids were in bed, I broke it out for the second half (along with a couple of beers). I had a blast (of course it helped that it was a good game). The tough one was that "10 point - Blocked Extra Point" card. I got that on the first draw and couldn't bring myself to discard it. Lots of fun and I give it a 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.