Subject: A Quick Review of The Werewolves of Millers Hollow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: The Werewolves of Millers Hollow (TWMH)

Publisher: lui-meme

Number of Players: 8-18

Game Length: 20-30 min

Recommended age: 10 and up

Game Designers: Philippe des Pallieres and Herve Marly

Theme: In TWMH you take the place of one of the townsfolk in the little town of Millers Hollow, deep in the American countryside. Each night a number of your fellow townsfolk transform into Werewolves and murder your friends. Everyday you and your fellow townsfolk vote on who they think the Werewolves are and hang them.

Components: There are 24 Cards including four Werewolves, one Fortune Teller, one Hunter, one Witch, one Thief, one Cupido, one Little Girl, one Sheriff and thirteen Ordinary Townsfolk cards. The cards are made out of regular cardstock and depict stylized pictures of the characters. While not the highest quality product, TWMH is priced fairly for what you get.

Rules: A moderator is chosen (in my experience, it is usually best if the most experienced player acts as the moderator in the first game of the evening). The moderator then shuffles the cards and deals each player one character card. The players all look at their cards. The moderator puts the town to sleep by saying “Night falls, the town is asleep, and everyone closes their eyes.” The players all close their eyes. Then depending on which cards are in play, the moderator guides the various characters through their options. In the first “setup” round, the Thief has the option to choose a different card, Cupido chooses two lovers and the lovers recognize one another and must look out for one another for the rest of the game. In a standard round the fortune teller wakes up and gets to learn the identity of one of the players. The Werewolves choose a victim; the little girl can spy on the Werewolves during this turn. After the werewolves choose a victim, the Witch has the option to revive the victim or choose another player to poison. Next, the townsfolk wake up and everyone opens their eyes. The moderator reveals the Werewolves victim. If the Hunter dies, he retaliates by killing another character. If one of the lovers dies, the other dies as well. The townsfolk then argue and debate as to who the werewolf is. Upon a signal from the moderator, each player points his or her finger towards a player that they want to eliminate. The player with the most fingers pointed at them is convicted of being a Werewolf and lynched. If there is a tie between the accused, no one is eliminated. Eliminated players are not allowed to communicate with the living for the rest of the game. The moderator puts the townsfolk back to sleep and the standard round begins anew. The Townsfolk win if they manage to eliminate the Werewolves, the Werewolves win if they eliminate the Townsfolk and the lovers win if they are the last surviving pair.

Level of Strategy: TWMH is a simple game to learn and is incredibly fun as a party game. The game can be played by both adults and children at the same time.

Replayability: TWMH can be enjoyed again and again, or at least whenever you have enough people to play.

Party Game Rating: The Werewolves of Millers Hollow is a great game for a large number of people to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McFadden
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Game night any night!
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhenderson wrote:
TWMH is a simple game to learn and is incredibly fun as a party game.

Thanks for the review, BJ. I would like to add to the above statement-

1. It is simple to learn, but takes some time to get "good at" Werewolf. And after the group improves, the gamers will evolve and change their styles, forcing people to try new strategies and sharpen their skills. I have NEVER played or moderated a dull game!

2. True, it is great as a party game. Perhaps this is even where this game is "at its best." But this game is also great as a hardcore game of observation, negotiation, and bluffing. I play with one group of dedicated gamers, and this is a favorite of the group.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to be a jerk, but this seems to be more of a rules summary than a review. Congratulations on it getting approved, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Abrams
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbow wrote:
Not trying to be a jerk, but this seems to be more of a rules summary than a review. Congratulations on it getting approved, though.

Seriously, you weren't trying? Wow. That's an impressive display of natural talent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanabrams wrote:
Longbow wrote:

Seriously, you weren't trying? Wow. That's an impressive display of natural talent.

Thanks, I have my moments! What a great comeback. Thumb for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Abrams
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbow wrote:
ryanabrams wrote:
Longbow wrote:

Thanks, I have my moments! What a great comeback. Thumb for you!

And a thumb for you as well, for being a good sport.

Also, a thumb to the reviewer. I think that reviews of all types have value, including ones that simply review the basics of the game and give a quick opinion. This type of review can often be enough for someone who is unfamiliar with a game to get a sense of if they would like it, and can serve as a jumping off point for a discussion if people want more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a counter-point, I find that reviews of this type are not good additions to BGG.

I could describe much more, but there's in my experience there's no point, since there are little to no standards of objective quality for BGG submissions, and everyone's subjective thoughts on quality are considered equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yankinlk yankinlk
Ireland
Newport
County Tipperary
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thumbs up for the OP. I have been searching for a translation of the rules since I bought my copy in Austria. I knew the basics but wasnt sure of the extra cards included. This is a great game and I always whip it out when im at/having a party of non-gamers in a big group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Tan
Singapore
flag msg tools
Bought this game from my FLGS last week
was the last copy
truth be told i think i paid for the rules mostly
the game cards though nice can be easily subsituted by a deck of playing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dw
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mhmm... have to agree with you. The original game is good, but it doesnt warrant the cardboard and production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
As this is currently the only review of Werewolves on The Geek, I wish to make a counterpoint to the positive review above. In my opinion, Werewolves is not a good game, as it suffers from the elimination problem: every round at least one player is eliminated and cannot play anymore. I personally played this game twice, and both times I was eliminated in the very first round, not having been able to contribute anything at all, and being forced to watch other people play for the next 45 minutes. Not a good experience. I will not play it anymore.

What the game needs is a mirror-game, in which people are added every round. That way, those eliminated from Werewolves can enter the mirror-game. I have to come up with something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dw
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
totally agree with you there man,

it sucks to be eliminated. maybe they can take part in narrating the gameplay..although that doesnt sound fun much,.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fun game could be one of a growing colony where new immigrants constantly arrive and in some way disrupt the accomodations reached by the first arrivals.

Perhaps you get to draw a card as you arrive that explains where you're from and why you've come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tofu Emu
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Why not just set up any old quick mirror game, say a deck of cards and play Euchre or some such? Cocktail conversation? Belly dancing? Come on man, use your imagination!

If none of that sounds interesting, we sometimes take poker chips and bet on who (choose one person) is going to be eliminated next round. Every time you get it right, you get a chip. That way getting eliminated first is actually an advantage - you have more opportunities to bet. Takes some of the sting out of getting knocked out as you now have a better chance of doing well in the mirror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The problem I have with the review is that it does not explain what this game/contents adds to a simple game of werewolfe played with say a set of blank business cards and a magic marker. I opened this review with that specifically in mind and did not see what this game adds that I cant go myself. Are there different roles I might not be aware of? Is the card art unusually great/bad?

I think the person who said that the review was simply a rules explanation was pretty close to the mark; although it might have been better to say that the rules are already publicly available and the review is the same thing as reviewing the public game...

For instance look at this review of another werewolfe game, he describes some different roles, card art, and some additional functionality on the cards:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/341493/fantastic-edition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.