Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Roberts
United States
Lead
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was introduced to Blue Moon several months ago at a game night hosted by a friend I met on the Geek and immediately fell in love with it. Subtle hints throughout the Christmas season paid off and I found this game under the tree!

I trotted it out a couple of nights ago and she took to it as a fish might take to water. We've played several times over the last few days and she really seems to enjoy it. Here are the results of our games to date:

1st Game - Me: Hoax/Wife: Vulca
This was her very first game and my first in quite a few months... We played with open hands and made lots rules mistakes (when we ran out of cards, we shuffled our discards into a new draw deck and kept going) but still really enjoyed it. Plus, she won!

2nd Game - Me: Hoax/Wife: Vulca
Ok, this one was for real. She had 2 dragons when I ran out of cards. Drat!

3rd Game - Me: Vulca/Wife: Hoax
I was hoping for a victory here, since the consensus seems to be that the Vulca are easier to play. Perhaps for some, but I only managed to pull out a tie. Update: Turns out this was a loss for me.

4th Game - Me: Vulca/Wife: Hoax
Apparently, my wife is some sort of "phenom" when it comes to this game... another victory for her. I'm sure I just need to throw more money at this game by buying expansion decks... then I'll beat her!

I'm really impressed with Blue Moon.. for a card game of this type, it is remarkably intuitive and lots fun. There were only a couple of "huh?" moments when trying to figure out card interactions and rules. I'm sure that Blue Moon will be on the gaming table many times this winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spyridon wrote:
3rd Game - Me: Vulca/Wife: Hoax
I was hoping for a victory here, since the consensus seems to be that the Vulca are easier to play. Perhaps for some, but I only managed to pull out a tie.
Nice report. But there are no tied games in blue moon. If all the dragons are on the board, the player who ran out of cards first loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Complete & Sufficient Statistician
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun first experience. A new convert!

It seems like the Vulca are dominating in those games. That's pretty typical among newer players. Expect that to change with experience. From more recent plays, I've found the Hoax vs. Vulca matchup to lean a little bit in favor of Hoax. That's the odd thing about this game. I keep on thinking that I'm finding imbalances, but the imbalances tend to swap sides or even out with further plays.

So you want expansion decks? It's very hard for a new player to use, but if you want DEEP strategy, try Flit out. When I tried it out, I thought the deck was kind of annoying and I had trouble winning with it. Then I played against an experienced Flit player. The deck IS annoying, but for the guy playing against it. It's a very subtle and very difficult deck to master, but I think it's the perfect deck to play with (and against) if you want to get better at Blue Moon and are looking for a deeper playing experience.

The Khind would be a good pick too. The Pillar gets trashed on these forums regularly, but I also find it fun to play with even if it is slightly underpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls