Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firepigeon has long had my admiration for his many contributions to BGG. He also is a fellow tuckbox designer and enthusiast. I could not believe he has not already been Geek of the Week. So, I have decided to remedy the situation right now.

I am very happy to introduce Firepigeon as the one hundred and twenty third Geek of the Week. Manuel, enjoy your time in the spotlight.

Here is a link to his profile:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Firepigeon

Firepigeon wrote:

Wow!! Helen, the queen of the tuckboxes, the one we all follow the steps of, was asking me to be GotW? Wow!!! Thank you Helen, for this unusual passage of the GotW; from one tuckbox maker to another (Helen's are better BTW!!). I just hope I measure up to a pale of your high standards!!

I'm 37 years, have been married for almost 17 and I'm father of a 9 years boy. I'm the crazy gamer of the family with my son learning from me. My wife can be persuaded to play some games, but not many.

When I was younger I played Monopoly, Petroleo and at some friend house Risk. On my teens I was fascinated by the board wargames I saw at magazines, but by this time I started on the computer to play that kind of games (they where starting to appear - my most vivid memory of that time, is the game Desert Rats on the ZX Spectrum - a pure hex and counter game translated to the computer). I was already married I found a little novel about mechwarriors that drove to find one amazing universe: Battletech!! This was the one that really started everything. I found a couple of players in my area, and together with a friend of mine we embarked on several years exploring this fantastic universe set by FASA. This included a plunge into the world of CCG's (Battletech CCG mostly).

Several years later the group got ourselves into Mordheim on what was my true first contact with the Games Workshop giant, also coupled with Warhammer 40000 for me. By this time my work entered heavily in the equation and I just stopped gamming for 4/5 years, and the gamming group just was gone. One day I just had enough. I was carving to get a hobby, because the house/work/house was completely killing me.

So it was somewhere in the beginning of 2005 that I started rounding around the old shops, finding some had gone for good, and a couple had been created. I was considering at the time to start on Warhammer Fantasy Battles when I stumbled on Flames of War. A miniatures game ruleset on small units? tactics set on WWII. The community was just starting and I jumped the bandwagon.

Was around this time that I discovered BGG but it took almost 1 year lurking around to finally commit myself to the site. During much of 2005 I played mostly Flames of War. But the increasingly visits to the BGG where taking its tool. In 2006 I succumbed to the spell, and I started buying games, first looking for the solitaire wargames or games that could be played solitaire. Almost by the end of 2006 the Portuguese community was organizing itself around the site Abre O Jogo (roughly translated to 'open up the game'); to the point that on September 2006 there was the first Lisbon's group meet up. After this it has been a rollercoaster ride. The Portuguese community grew and my collection grew, not anymore limited to just solitaire wargames. 2007 saw the realization of the first Portuguese national meetups, from where it emerged the LeiriaCon 2008 organized by the great team at Spiel Portugal (most notably the two previous Portuguese GotW: Luis Filipe e Costa(fs1973) and Paulo Soledade(soledade) ).

Manuel Pombeiro
aka Firepigeon
LUDO ERGO SUM

Two truths and a lie:

1. I much prefer to spend my time gamming than I like to spend a full month preparing and painting an army.
2. I'm a full details maniac concerning organization of bits in a gamebox and even on the game table itself.
3. I rate Puerto Rico so low because I always end up been beaten at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start you off with some questions:

1. Why do you like card sleeves?

2. Do you like wargames or the so-called Euro games better?

3. Is your son becoming a real gamer or does he just like the cool figurines?

4. What kinds of game groups/conventions do you regularly attend?

5. How big is the gaming community in Portugal?

6. What language are most of your games written in?

7. Tell us about how you create your tuckboxes.

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!!!

Sometimes we here from geeks that it is hard to find games in their country. Is it the case for Portugal also? Any tips for portuguese gamers to find more games.

You rate quite a few different kind of games than you mention in your introduction. (I thought I wouldn' trecognize any games in your collection). And quite high (Formula Dé, Arkham horror, ...) Did you forget them? devil

I would say that the third one is the lie. In your comments you mention you have other problems with Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Manuel!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah granda Pombeiro !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Manuel! I hope you really enjoy your week.

Here are several questions for you:
1) You are obviously one of the more prolific image uploaders here. What are your favorite images that you've uploaded so far?
2) How did you first get started with photography?
3) Being colorblind, if you could choose any game to get re-printed with a different color scheme to make it easier for you to play, what would it be?
4) Which of your games does your son enjoy playing with you the most?
5) What is your favorite geeklist that you've created?

BTW, you've got to be the first person I've seen who rates a "Miscellaneous Gaming Accessory" as a 10! Enjoy your week in the spotlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boa boa Pombeiro, tu mereces!

Congrats, you are a shining example of how to promote boardgaming here in Portugal. Enjoy your well deserved GotW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Helen!!! with the job getting a all time rush this will be interesting!!

hholzgrafe wrote:
I'll start you off with some questions:

1. Why do you like card sleeves?

Playability, protecting the cards and a 9 years old!!! laugh
Really, the cards are much better to shuffle with sleeves on, but also the durabilitty of the cards is much improved when they have sleeves on. Also having a 9 years kid really helps.

hholzgrafe wrote:
2. Do you like wargames or the so-called Euro games better?

Wargames, hands-down. The so-called Euro-games normally have brilliant mechanics but normally miss on theme. There's another way for this also, mostly the so-called euro-gamers are much more competitive, they need a short ruleset so they are able to have a more than a shooting possibility to win even on the first play of a game. Normally they cannot appreciate the game per si, and is hard for them to grasp the need to have several plays to have a grasp on the game and a shooting possibility at a win.

hholzgrafe wrote:
3. Is your son becoming a real gamer or does he just like the cool figurines?

It is on the transition phase, and I hope I'm able to turn him to the real thing!!

hholzgrafe wrote:
4. What kinds of game groups/conventions do you regularly attend?

There are no regular conventions in Portugal ( cry cry ) - but that's may be starting to change: LeiriaCon 2008!! My regular game group is in Lisbon, and normally all wednesdays after work I get my weekly addiction dose!!!

hholzgrafe wrote:
5. How big is the gaming community in Portugal?

On boardgames it is just starting, the first time there was a group dedicated to boardgaming was in September 2006 in Lisbon, mostly thanks to the efforts of Ricardo Madeira (ricmadeira) - the webmaster for the first true portuguese website with a space for a growing community at AbreOJogo. On the most I would put a top on 100 people that take boardgamming as an hobby.
There is also a small group of miniatures wargammers (mostly Warhammer 40000, Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Flames of War).
The biggest group of all is the CCG's players, with Magic players counting on the thousands across the all country.

hholzgrafe wrote:
6. What language are most of your games written in?

Mostly English, and the people on the hobby real prefer that way, because the translations are normally so butched that sometimes the game is totally wrong.

hholzgrafe wrote:
7. Tell us about how you create your tuckboxes.

I mostly use MS Publisher, and I just measure up the deck I need a tuckbox to (the sleeves need to be accounted for because they make for a thicker deck), than I hunt for images or scan my own. The basic framework of a tuckbox is already made, I just need to tweak it a bit, put images and voilá!! I really need to include some text as you do for the assembly process.

-Helen[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
Congrats!!!

Sometimes we here from geeks that it is hard to find games in their country. Is it the case for Portugal also? Any tips for portuguese gamers to find more games.

Thanks Kris.
Apart from the mainstream games, if we are looking for more uncommon games (like wargames!! angry ) we just have to rely on online stores. For more mainstream games or more latest eurogames there's now a local trend that we may get them in a reasonable timeframe.

KrisVerbeeck wrote:
You rate quite a few different kind of games than you mention in your introduction. (I thought I wouldn' trecognize any games in your collection). And quite high (Formula Dé, Arkham horror, ...) Did you forget them? devil

No I didn't, but that was supposed to be a short bio (you cant imagine the number of deletions I had to made, to keep it short!! laugh ).

KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I would say that the third one is the lie. In your comments you mention you have other problems with Puerto Rico.

Stay tunned for next week on this channel!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArtEmiSa64 wrote:
Congratulations Manuel!!

Thanks Ketty!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
Ah granda Pombeiro !!!

Muito obrigado Bruno!! laugh

Thanks Bruno!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fehrmeister wrote:
Congratulations Manuel! I hope you really enjoy your week.

Thanks james, I'm starting to get the hang of it!

fehrmeister wrote:
1) You are obviously one of the more prolific image uploaders here. What are your favorite images that you've uploaded so far?

This hurts!! I like almost all the images I've uploaded, but this may be an example of some of the photos I take as favourites:

fehrmeister wrote:
2) How did you first get started with photography?

Several years ago but I'm mostly amateur.

fehrmeister wrote:
3) Being colorblind, if you could choose any game to get re-printed with a different color scheme to make it easier for you to play, what would it be?

Britannia, I just played it last friday and I loved the game, we where 4 players, I took yellow, and I just knew where the blue was and that everything else was my enemy! laugh

fehrmeister wrote:
4) Which of your games does your son enjoy playing with you the most?

Lately it has been Zeus on the Loose, but also Tsuro and Ticket to Ride: Europe.

fehrmeister wrote:
5) What is your favorite geeklist that you've created?

Tell me you are only allowed one entry of questions, aren't you? laugh
Going to school and back again is my favourite so far.

fehrmeister wrote:
BTW, you've got to be the first person I've seen who rates a "Miscellaneous Gaming Accessory" as a 10!

Where would we be without them? This are precious bits to have and help the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently met in GeekChat - nice guy!

Well done fellah! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mb
Congrats Manuel!

1) Is your wife a non-gaming wife because you have the Busen Memo microbadge? Mine would hate that too...
2) What's your favorite Formula Dé track and why?
3) How do you drink your coffee? Do you feel you're addicted... I am... but I can stop at any time.
4) What's your flavor of Ticket to Ride? Why?
5) Is there any game your wife will ask to play? Any, at all?
6) Okay, you're colorblind. Your avatar happens to be the same color as your colorblind microbadge... can you see your Avatar? I always wondered about that... for some reason... I think I need help.
7) Do you know where I can find some help? My wife gave up on me a while ago...

I'll go with number one as the lie... some people enjoy painting.

Congrats!

(edited: added a question)

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Felicitações! (care of google xlat)

Is your English so good purely in order to understand the rules to your favorite games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasco Chita
Portugal
Portela de Sacavem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firepigeon is one of the biggest portuguese collector, an avid ameritrash/wargamer, one of BGG's proxies to abreojogo.com, one of the most prolific portuguese BGG contribuitor and a Lisbon boardgames organizer. For all this, well deserved!

Parabens Pombeiro!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
Congratulations Manuel! Enjoy your week in the spot light!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Congrats Manuel!

1) Is your wife a non-gaming wife because you have the Busen Memo microbadge? Mine would hate that too...

Thanks David
For that my wife would need to know what Busen memo is She really doesn't like to game mainly because she doesn't like to loose shake

DKahnt wrote:
2) What's your favorite Formula Dé track and why?

Tough crowd here!!! cool the ones I don't have!!

DKahnt wrote:
3) How do you drink your coffee? Do you feel you're addicted... I am... but I can stop at any time.

Plain, no sugar, 3 to 5 a day. And is the Expresso variety, not the cups full of dark water!! Sure....... devil devil

DKahnt wrote:
4) What's your flavor of Ticket to Ride? Why?

Europe, so far it has been the best to present to non-gamers, also been Europe is good to play with my kid has it is teaching him the European geography and cities.

DKahnt wrote:
5) Is there any game your wife will ask to play? Any, at all?

I've not been that lucky. She really likes this cartoon:
she says it is our relation come true cry

DKahnt wrote:
6) Okay, you're colorblind. Your avatar happens to be the same color as your colorblind microbadge... can you see your Avatar? I always wondered about that... for some reason... I think I need help.

Yes I can.

DKahnt wrote:
7) Do you know where I can find some help? My wife gave up on me a while ago...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
Felicitações! (care of google xlat)

Thanks (Obrigado!!)

Liumas wrote:
Is your English so good purely in order to understand the rules to your favorite games?

Mainly because of my job that is so heavly dependent on english manuals and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Luke
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Parabéns Manuel, é mais que merecido. Para mim tu merecias ser o 1º GotW lusitano

(now in english)
Well deserved nomination. Manuel Pombeiro is one of the most enthusiast boardgamers in Portugal and a great friend. I'm really happy for you, congratulations Manuel

Now for the questions:

1) Which is your 2007 favourite boardgame so far?
2) What do you think that can be done better to promote the hobby in Portugal?
3) Boardgaming related, what is your first wish for 2008?

Once again, congratulations!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on GotW! You rock!

I have a silly question:
Here in Australia, we have a chain of resteraunts called Nandos. They do Portuguese food, mostly chicken.

So, do you guys all eat alot of chicken, or is this resteraunt full of crap? (The chicken is really good and and spicy, by the way. I love it!)

xxx Shebby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
Mode: Nippon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excelent news Pombeiro. You're the best GoW this site can have. A truly passioned board/war gamer.

One of the best games of the year was 1960. I think you agree with me on this. Why do you like this game so much?

You have great pictures here but one of them is absolutely misterious. Based on your point of view, how could you play anything?!? Enlight me please.

PS: I think your lie is #3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's true that we eat chicken but that's far from beeing representative of our gastronomy. You should come here and see (i mean eat) for yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Soeiro
Portugal
Portalegre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playing any board game with Firepigeon is a great experience and joy.

He know all the rules, he live the game and make all others players around the table very happy. He is a great teacher.

Is a privilege for me playing sometimes with Manuel, and I hope that will happen for many years.

My God, how he knows very well the rules of many ( all!) gamessoblue??? It’s amazing

Congratulations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.