Subject: Day of the Saxons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a report of a three player game played at the Stabcon convention. It was a first game for all three participants. My good friends Alan and Tim took the Normans and Vikings respectively, whilst I defended the homeland with the Saxons.
[1st comment: who would ever wish to play the Britons?]
An early Norman reconnaissance in Dover was pounced upon by Harold and his army. Unfortunately the Norman tourists, including William, got lucky, escaped unharmed and even killed a Saxon leader.
There then followed a run of extraordinary bad luck for the would be invaders. The Storms chit was pulled three times in the first three turns. All Viking boats were destroyed, including a re-built boat. The Normans were left with a single boat.
[2nd Comment: Suggested house rule. Storms in Winter which score a hit just damage, rather than destroy boats in coasts/rivers. Say put on turn track to bring on for free in 1-3 turns.]
The Normans tried some speculative Vasalage attempts, including one on London, but the citizens stayed loyal to their rightful masters.
After a turn or three of building, the Normans launched a small force into Southampton. After overwhelming the local constabulary this force moved north to Bath where it built a castle and settled down to wait.
Next the Normans land in Norwich with William and his main force. Again ther locals are overwhelmed and William, feeling confident split off a part of his force to ravage (well walk about) the midlands. At the same time the Vikings land in the north, take Stamford and try to take York. The York garrison held firm and Harald was killed in the assault.
Harold now launched his counter-stroke. First the Normans in the Midlands are Vassalled with 3 dice to 1. The Normans go native and move to Norwich, along with several good Saxon units. The battle of Norwich turns out to be William's Waterloo. His force is routed and he himself dies. Harold force marches to Stamford where the Viking remnants are put to the sword.
We stopped there. Six turns. Two dead Kings and the only enemy left is the small force holed up in Bath.
We enjoyed the game, although the event chits meant some of us enjoyed it through gritted teeth. Is it history? Not really. Is it worth playing again? Very probably.
Our only problem was interpreting what to do with fleets when land combat occurs in a coastal (or river) square. We let the defender choose whether to retreat them immediately or use them to soak up attacks. Another house rule may well be needed. If they do take part in the combat they should have some chance of inflicting a hit.
Overall this is a wild and chaotic game on a little gamed subject. Well worth trying with three.
[Comment 3: House rule. To balance up the Vikings, allow them to purchase the Britons for say 2 or 3 gold. The Britons would function as Vikings i.e. no separate campaign marker holding.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The RallyBird Baseball board game
badge
The RallyBird Baseball board game
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
[1st comment: who would ever wish to play the Britons?]

I don't know if you know about this, but the living rules offer an optional rule that gives the Britons a special victory power--they win if no one else does. See the red text below.

[23.0] VICTORY CONDITIONS

23.1 The game is won by gaining control of Britain. At the end of the game, players determine who is the winner according to the criteria below.

23.2 To win a game, a player must do both the following at the end of the game: 1) have any one king he controls, including Tostig, in a large town in Britain with a printed feudal value of two or three; and 2) occupy towns and large towns anywhere on the map that total at least 20 feudal points. For that second criteriaon, pillaged squares and off-map areas count as zero.

23.3 Any other result, or combination of results, is a defeat for the player. There are no levels of victory; it’s all or nothing. You either become king of England or you lose the game.

23.3/A Optional Victory Condition. The Briton player wins if at the end of the game neither the Anglo-Saxon, Norman nor Viking player has fulfilled the conditions of rule 23.2. This allows the Briton player to win if no other player dominates Britain. Players should agree before starting whether they’ll incorporate this optional condition in their play of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been interested in this game for a while. What do you mean that no one would want to play the Britons? Are they just doomed from the outset? If no one plays them, are they played by the game system or something? I would seem, historically, hard to leave them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My session report was my only game of this played so far. From memory the Britains are a loose term used to give definition of a faction whihc comprises various "locals". Again from memory, it struck me that they are weak and do well only by holding on to as much as possible from what they start with. As I said this is based on my memory from one playing where the Britains were not controlled by an active player, but they just did not look like a fun faction to play, however well they may do VP wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.