T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am traveling tomorrow to Oslo, Norway for two weeks on business and was wondering if there are any game stores and/or game groups in the city? I was also curious if there are any games that are only available there, and not in the US, that I should try to pick up? Feel free to respond here or send me a GeekMail message. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
You could pick up Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries for me...

eh?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, good call David! I'll try to see if I can find some copies while I'm there. Want to research a store for me to go to? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outland 1:

Paleet (small shopping center)- Karl Johan Avenue - 5 minutes walk from King`s Palace.

Outland 2:

Continue down Karl Johan - at the end you find Oslo City shopping Center. In the same building you got the Railway Central with a lot of shops. Outland is in second floor.

Have a nice stay!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll definitely check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outland 2 as Oystein describes had a reasonable good selection of games when I was there last Summer. I was nearly tempted by a copy of Paths of Glory, but everything was very expensive, as you'll soon find. Yes, you may find some German games that aren't generally seen in the US, but nothing that rare and which you couldn't easily get much cheaper by mail order even in the States. Certainly T2R: Nordic Countries is the one to go for.

I couldn't actually find Outland 1, even though I went looking for it. Can any Norwegian actually confirm that it is still there?

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
I am traveling tomorrow to Oslo, Norway for two weeks on business and was wondering if there are any game stores and/or game groups in the city? I was also curious if there are any games that are only available there, and not in the US, that I should try to pick up? Feel free to respond here or send me a GeekMail message. Thanks!
Remember, there's 24% sales tax added to every purchase made in Norway, including food.

You can probably get all or most of that back after the fact via customs when you return. SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS. But know that the sticker shock you might feel is due to that.

The cheapest eats in Norway are Kebab places and hot dogs bought at petrol stations. About $8 US for the hot dog... but they're large and you can put "shrimp salad" on them. Basicly, baby chilled shrimp. I'm allergic--but my buddy from Oslo swears by it.

Are you sightseeing at all? If so, be sure to see Vigeland's Park and the Viking Ship Museum. The museum dedicated to the Kon-Tiki expeditions is excellent as well.

Walk up Karl Rohan and down to the waterfront behind the City Hall building. Lots of history and stuff to see.

Peace,
Christian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, and I am seeking a copy of the TTR Nordic Countries also.

I am sure that any copy you bring back will be easily traded...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions Paul and Christian, I really appreciate it! I'll try to check out Outland for sure. Thanks for the warning about the sales tax, I'll see if I can figure out how to get it back on the way out. Hmm, shrimp on a hot dog sounds intriguing, I'll investigate further and report back. I'm hoping to have time for sightseeing, but I doubt there'll be much. The Viking Ship Museum definitely sounds interesting, but not sure if I'll be up for that park you mention, given the weather website's forecast of freezing, mountains of snow, and no daylight

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have to go now, but keep 'em coming, perhaps I'll have Internet and be able to check additional suggestions from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.gulesider.no/kart/map.c?id=a_180672&q=Karl+Johans...

THis is were the other Outland is.

www.outland.no Be aware of that this page is very seldom updated. If you find something you really want, you can be sure that they`re sold out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the prices, on that Outland website, it's kr 549 for Tigris & Euphrates, which converts to $104.20 (according to http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic), and Ticket to Ride Nordic for kr 399 to $75.73 apparently! I could pick up a few copies and bring them back, but not sure people are willing to pay quite that much. Maybe if I recuperate the sales tax then it'll be worth it, we'll see.

So no English-speaking game groups this weekend, on the off chance that I have some time? Maybe I'll try to find one of these Outland places and see if people are playing there.

I guess Wikitravel wasn't kidding when it said Oslo was like one of the Top 5 most expensive cities in the world, huh! I never would have guessed... I also never would have thought I'd ever go there either, live and learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In bookstores in Norway Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries usually costs 299 NOK. A bookstore-chain called "Notabene" would be your best call, they sometimes have some good deals on good games (I picked up Aqua Romana for 199 NOK just the other day).
Have a nice stay, and welcome!

ps. Outland 2 usually have CCG-players playing all the time. The store is almost always open, as well. I guess some of the CCG`ers also are willing to play board games with you. Almost all Norwegians speak English by the way, so the language isn`t an issue.

If you`re interested in music, cd`s are actually quite cheap in Norway. Make sure to pay www.platekompaniet.no a visit. They have stores all over Oslo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need some help with navigsting the Norwegian pages, I can translate for you. Don`t be afraid to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes -it is very expensive. But remember they are situated in most expensive place in Oslo -among Rolex shops and similar. They probably need the money for rent. Most of sale is cheaper fantasy cartoon - DVD.

When visiting Oslo I have an half hour visit just to have a look. Maybe buy something on sale.

I buy my games from a local web shop or eBay - much cheaper than Oslo.

Hope a local group will contact you. If you are visiting Stavanger please contact me, and I will introduce you to my gaming group.

edit:
thanks for the Gtip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
Yes -it is very expensive. But remember they are situated in most expensive place in Oslo -among Rolex shops and similar. They probably need the money for rent. Most of sale is cheaper fantasy cartoon - DVD.

When visiting Oslo I have an half hour visit just to have a look. Maybe buy something on sale.

I buy my games from a local web shop or eBay - much cheaper than Oslo.

Hope a local group will contact you. If you are visiting Stavanger please contact me, and I will introduce you to my gaming group.
My family lineage is from near Stavanger.

Vetrhus in Rogaland. (there are two) Just south of Sauda. I would guess that I am related to the Vetrhus Blues Band folks, LOL.

Anyway, I may get over that way again, to see that plot, and visit Stavanger...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toreengeland wrote:
Yes, that's where I was looking. I went all through the shopping centre and all I could find of interest was a good bookstore. This was in August 07. Do you think it was open then.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice - I am a member of local Blues Club and Vetrhus have played there.

See you have a Fjords microbadge.

This place is called the Pulpit - a place between Stavanger and Sauda.

In this area you find crazy basejumpers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svein Main
Norway
Joerpeland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Eker for showing the Americans the neighbourhood of my gaming group Preikestolen Gamers, or Pulpit Rock Gamers(See another link on Norway forums). Im at the Pulpit rock 4 times a year. Cant find a better view, dingeling your feet looking 600 meters streight down to the fjord.

You American cant expect to get some good buys in Norway.
1. Norway is an expencive country, like Switzerland.
2. The $ is extreamly low, that makes it even more expensive.
3. A trick can be to take a game with you from the U.S. that is common, and not so expensive for you. Ask to change it, into Nordic or something else you want. Could be possible.

Try out some Norwegian games, like Oilboom, Oregon, Phenomena.
Did I forget some, Øystein?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No - maybe mention your club policy is the same as a Scottish Golf Club. Women not allowed. Except Notre Dame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svein Main
Norway
Joerpeland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I didnt know that its possible to compare Boardgames to Golfcool

But yes, no girls allowed.
I should get that in the Preikestolen Gamers tread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How come girls are not allowed to join your club?

In my gaming group we are usually two women and two men, no problems what so ever:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody

I spent 4 hours today wandering around Oslo. I saw the National Theatre, Parliament, Oslo Cathedral, City Hall, Nobel Peace Center, Royal Palace, Oslo University, National Gallery (where I spotted The Scream), stopped by the harbor (where I spotted an FDR statute), and all the way down to the Central Station. Of course I stopped by both Outland 1 and Outland 2. Didn't see anything I couldn't get in the US except for Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries, which was 399 kr (which I gather is about $80). I was sad to see that they have the regular Mayfair version of Tigris & Euphrates too, heh, ah well. For myself personally, I'm not interested in a copy of TtR Nordic for that price, but I can probably lug back a couple of copies for other people if they're willing to pay that price plus shipping from New York plus a little finder's fee (or if you live in NYC that would make it even easier!)... I stopped in a bunch of bookstores as I walked around, only found one bookstore with the game, but it was still 399 kr there, and the other 5 or 6 bookstores didn't have it, about half didn't have any games as far as I could tell, and the other half had just Monopoly and such. Anyway, I had forgotten to look for something called Notabene, so maybe I'll ask the concierge where to find that and check it out. I don't think I'll be here long enough to order from online, although you never know, I still don't have a ticket back to the US...

Anyway, it's a nice city indeed, although I'm so disappointed that there's no snow! It's so warm here, and rains all the time, feels just like London actually, heh! It better snow before I leave

I wanted to go to the Viking Ship Museum, but it's so far away, not sure if I'm going to make it.

I tried the Whale from Alex Sushi, but haven't had a chance to try the Reindeer yet, hopefully for dinner sometime soon. I've gathered besides those two dishes, the only other thing to try is some sort of fish jello, but I might not be adventurous enough for that, and it might just be a Christmas thing, so I could've missed it, shucks, heh.

Also looked for gifts for others while here, non-games, and was told that a good gift would either be a cheese grater (since it apparently was invented here) or a sweater. Hmm, think I might pass on the cheese grater, but I did find some beautiful sweaters! I was sad to see that they all cost about $330. Hmmm, either the dollar needs to get stronger, or I need to get out of the city center area, or both, or maybe I'll go with some scarves/hats/mittens/etc. Other Norwegian gift ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svein Main
Norway
Joerpeland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
toreengeland wrote:
How come girls are not allowed to join your club?

In my gaming group we are usually two women and two men, no problems what so ever:-)
Of course we can play couple to couple play also, but that is off the club. In the club there is only men that can play games. Why? Because where we live, there are a lot of womenclub, women societys, where weman comes together to talk and eat. Men, doesent come together to talk and eat, we have to have a reason to participate. Since the footballclub(soccer) her is dull, we only can gather around a table playing games, espesially in wintertime when the dark comes early in the evening. Thats why we just have a mens club! Easy and understanable.

And back to you americans finding Ticket to ride-Nordic for $80. Your right, its not wearth it. Come back when the dollar is strong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried visiting Notabene today to see if I could find the game for less there (299 kr instead of 399), but no luck. I found Notabene, but it was still 399 there. So I picked up all their copies anyway (2) and then went to Outland and cleaned them out as well, so now I've got 4 copies to bring back. Feel free to post here or send me via GeekMail your offers (money or games on my wishlist).

On a touristy note, I went to the Vigeland Sculpture Park this afternoon, and it was pretty incredible. I definitely encourage anyone visiting the area to check it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trygve E. Rosenvinge
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a theory about the Notabene chain, for anyone interested. Typically the stores are located in lower end suburban malls, and they are usually the only Norwegian conventional bookstores to carry a decent selection of boardgames. What's more, they often sell them at a discount, but I suspect this is more common in stores located in smaller towns where the market would be less significant. I've only ever visited Notabene shops in smaller towns, and particularly in search of discounted board games, at which I'm usually in luck. Often the discount is as much 50%.

I really do not know what to expect from the Notabene stores in Oslo. I've lived in Trondheim for about 1.5 years now, and I haven't found a single one here. The Notabene 30-50% discount sale has been going on for almost 5 years now and I suspect they'll discontinue selling board games eventually.

Edit: Had a look at the company web page, and found a downtown shop I intend visit. It's located in a department store I haven't visited since I moved here. The mall has a January sale as well, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |