Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hickman
United States
Huntington Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are there any game stores off the 101 on the way to San Francisco?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gator Games (http://www.gatorgames.com)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gator Games is quite good. It's where I shop. The other place I know of is Game Kastle (http://gamekastle.com):

"Game Kastle
1350 Coleman Ave.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
(408)727-2452

Directions:
From 880: Take 880 to Coleman Ave exit, make a right on Coleman Ave.

From 101: Take 101 to De la Cruz Blvd exit, bear left on Coleman Ave."

Gamescape in San Francisco would be another one. Sadly the one in Palo Alto is no more. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Gamescape in San Francisco would be another one.shake

My old stomping grounds back in '85-'87. I have some great memories from when they had the gaming room in the back, which was removed to extend the store area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean_H wrote:
Are there any game stores off the 101 on the way to San Francisco?

It's just "101", not "the 101" unless you want everyone to know you're from LA...

Gamescape in SF has a good selection. Their employees don't seem to know that much about the board games they sell though (I think they know more about RPGs). They have a "must have" list up on a white board that has some good entries like Ingenious and Puerto Rico, but also mysteriously Zombies!!

Also, I was in the store one time and an older woman who had pretty clearly played nothing more complicated than Monopoly came in looking for a game for grown ups (she wasn't even sure if she was in a board game or video game store). The clerk proceeded to sell her Cuba (nothing wrong with Cuba, but not exactly a gateway game, especially when you are going to have to learn by reading the rules).

Kvetching aside, their staff is nice and they do have a good selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the south bay you have Legends at Valco (280 and Wolfe) and another location as Oakridge (85 and Santa Theresa). The Valco location is their main store and the staff is pretty knowledgeable.

-dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you live on the bay side of the peninsula and commute, it's "the 101"...

There is also a toy store on Market street in San Francisco between 2nd and 3rd I think. It has a decent selection of games. Not as good as the dedicated games stores others have listed but good enough that if you are in that part of town and need a time waster...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved to the BA in '96 and nearly everyone I met used "the 101". I then moved to San Diego in '00 and it's the exact same here and in LA; no difference detected.

The "from LA" thing doesn't hold up in my experience. I think "from California" is more appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tham Yong Hsiang
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game store near Marriot Union Square?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes- Jeffery Toys @ 685 Market St has a good selection of games, and is only a few minutes away from your hotel (Market btwn 3rd and Kearney).

It isn't a game store though, which means it does NOT have a knowledgable staff, but it does have a wide selection of BGG style games.

An easy cab ride away is:
Gamescape: 333 Divisadero St

An easy train ride away is:
Games of Berkely (take Powell St Bart to Downtown Berkeley station).

there are many other great game stores in the Bay area, but those three are the easiest to get to without a car or too much of a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BashiBazouk wrote:
If you live on the bay side of the peninsula and commute, it's "the 101"...

It's always "the" up here in the Sacramento region, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
An easy cab ride away is:
Gamescape: 333 Divisadero St

I used to live at 334 Divisadero. No cab ride for me back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oynayannis Bolbolli
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travellerne wrote:

it's in San Mateo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
Yes- Jeffery Toys @ 685 Market St has a good selection of games, and is only a few minutes away from your hotel (Market btwn 3rd and Kearney).

After 45 years, Jeffreys in SF is closed forever. Like a lot of the old cool things in SF, the tech "revolution" took another victim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suboptimal Play
United States
Edgewater
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's sad. Jeffrey's was a regular lunch time stop for me when I worked on New Montgomery years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noam Rosen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Games of Berkeley no longer right next to the Downtown Berkeley BART station -- it has moved about a mile away to 2510 Durant Ave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rio Chang
United States
Walnut
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swaits wrote:
I moved to the BA in '96 and nearly everyone I met used "the 101". I then moved to San Diego in '00 and it's the exact same here and in LA; no difference detected.

The "from LA" thing doesn't hold up in my experience. I think "from California" is more appropriate.

I've heard "the" in many parts of this country. I think East Coast folks are more inclined to use "the" for their major mode of transportation (subway/bus/light rail lines). Thankfully, we don't get fined for inappropriately using definite articles in front of our public infrastructure. laugh

I used to go Gamescape in Palo Alto when I worked in Silicon Valley. Too bad it's gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Melkata
msg tools
Yep, gator games is terrific. Staff really knows their stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rio Chang
United States
Walnut
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
ze_stom wrote:

After 45 years, Jeffreys in SF is closed forever. Like a lot of the old cool things in SF, the tech "revolution" took another victim.

I went to Jeffrey's during its closing week. They had a good stash of comics. That was a sad closing. But I think they're in Berkeley now.

There's Ambassador Toys near the West Portal station. They had a small selection of designer euro games like Splendor and Stone Age when I last visited in 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls