flag msg tools
badge
mb
The trade is at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/28232

Please read and study the information contained therein. There will be a test.*

I don't know if it's tradition, but the request GeekList is at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/28246

Please keep your discussions confined to this thread unless you are commenting specifically on an entry--in that case, please comment directly on the GeekList item.

Thank you for your participation. I hope to make this a most enjoyable trade for everyone.

* There will not actually be a test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The summary is at:

http://igor.thehuskygroup.com/bgg/games-cabin.txt

First, everyone needs to take a look at the summary. We had a lot of people not using the altname syntax, and so I had to spend around half an hour cleaning those up. Thus, the descriptions on some of them aren't the most accurate, but you'll have to live with it. (Next time, it'll be a requirement in my trades.)

Only the summary posted at the above URL will be considered official. That is, while Jeff's tool will almost certainly have the correct data, it's my job as moderator to have a single "official" list; the one on my Web site is it.

However, please feel absolutely confident in using Jeff's OLWLG; it's the tool I personally use to compose my want lists.

So, how do I expect lists to be submitted? I'll explain by way of example:

(carl67lp) 0001-MACHE : 0041-THEBE 1710-THEBE

(carl67lp) 0002-THROU : 0041-THEBE 1710-THEBE

First is your BGG username in parentheses. Then comes your item number. Next is a colon. Finally is the list of items that you would like to receive for your own item.

Each item should follow this format, so make sure you have the username and colon in each case.

Between each item you should have a blank line, like I do above. This will help to prevent errors in copying and pasting.

Send the information to me in a GeekMail, or (and this is preferred), use Jeff's OLWLG for faster, more reliable results. It's not mandatory, but I promise it'll make your life easier. At least, it makes my life easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The official want list file (at nearly 1.4MB!) is at:

http://igor.thehuskygroup.com/bgg/cabin-wants.txt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
OFFICIAL RESULTS

994 trades! That's 42.8% of the whole. Fantastic!

http://igor.thehuskygroup.com/bgg/cabin-results.txt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Most wanted items:

http://activityclub.org/bgg/28232-mostwanted.txt

And a human-readable summary:

http://activityclub.org/bgg/28232-results-summary.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for running this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jdludlow wrote:
Thank you for running this.

It's my pleasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Go, Carl, go!

PS- You may want to make a request Geeklist instead of a thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the OLWLG gonna be available for this trade? It looks to be a biggie already and I'm way to lazy stupid not gonna have enough time to go through every page and make notes on what I want. It's already up to 7 pages for cryin' out loud.

Please, for the love of Gravy, make it available JeffyJeff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuttleboy wrote:
It looks to be a biggie already and I'm way to lazy stupid not gonna have enough time to go through every page and make notes on what I want. It's already up to 7 pages for cryin' out loud.

Isn't that part of the fun! I love window shopping on these lists and spotting the good, the not so good and the c**p. There's always the hope that my thrift find swaps for a brand new Agrikola (yeah, really likely).

BTW - Clashing with a Europe Trade at this moment in time, so may not be too many Europeans coming in until the last minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rossum wrote:
Go, Carl, go!

PS- You may want to make a request Geeklist instead of a thread.

Perhaps I will. I was torn--I almost didn't make a thread at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tuttleboy wrote:
Is the OLWLG gonna be available for this trade? It looks to be a biggie already and I'm way to lazy stupid not gonna have enough time to go through every page and make notes on what I want. It's already up to 7 pages for cryin' out loud.

Please, for the love of Gravy, make it available JeffyJeff!

I emailed Jeff last night, and he has graciously agreed. Thanks Jeff!

And as an aside, I'm shocked at how large this has already gotten, less than 12 hours in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, help out a newbie!

I'm still a little confused as to how things work. I just need to respond "add item" reply to the main list, correct?

For the want list... what happens if I end up not wanting anything from the list for the game I listed? Could someone provide me with a sample format for a want list?

I'm guessing it is in poor taste to request everything from your want list and post every game on your trading list? Any suggestions to pick and choose?

Is it generally better to wait until you see a game you want before starting to list your own games?

And sweeteners are things to make your trade more enticing by adding a little more to them?

Appreciate the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've decided to make things easier and move the request thread to its own GeekList. I've amended the header of the trade as well as the first item in this thread. The request GeekList is at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/28246

Thanks for your understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Ok, help out a newbie!

Happy to do so.

1. To participate in the math trade, just "Add Item" to the main list and follow the examples of the previous games. Add whatever you're keen on trading.

2. If you put nothing on your want list for Game X, then you will not (cannot) trade Game X. Thus, math trades are considered "no-risk." That is, if we get to the deadline and you find out that all the available games are crap, you can just take your marbles and go home!

2a. This is totally unofficial, so don't use this, but a sample want list for, say, Power Grid might look something like this:

1-PWRGD 4-TIGRI 17-AGRIC 713-HANSA

That is, you're trading Power Grid, and you're willing to accept Tigris & Euphrates, or Agricola, or Hansa (in that order, since we're using linear priorities).

The format of the want lists will be published later.

3. I think it's generally better to just add games you're willing to trade. If everyone waited until they saw something they want, no one would add anything! The flip side is that your game may draw someone else to add more stuff, or to participate at all. I say, add first, browse later.

4. I like to think that sweeteners are a good thing, but I've had success with and without them. For the most part, they simply pad the value of the overall item (that's why you'll see, for example, card game bundles) or they differentiate your item from an identical one elsewhere in the list (like if two people offer Blood Feud in New York, both brand new--not that that would happen --one person might add a sweetener to attract people to his/her lot).

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I'm guessing it is in poor taste to request everything from your want list and post every game on your trading list? Any suggestions to pick and choose?

Looks like you added this one while I typed.

There are no hard-and-fast rules, but I think it's fine to request what you want, up to a point. As an example, there are nearly 200 games on my want list; I'm not going to request them all. Instead, I might simply ask for the ones I really, really want. I guarantee you'll see more than just that subset on the trade, anyway. (Of course, you have just 15 games on your want list, so you could probably get away with asking for all of them.)

As for posting every game on your trade list: That's perfectly acceptable, and indeed isn't a bad idea. The more the merrier! Just keep in mind that offering, say, Battle Line by itself isn't likely to net you Roads & Boats--to get the bigger fish, you have to use bigger bait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, 2 more questions. How do you add the id and picture for the sweeteners? I couldn't figure it out.

Also, let's take your example for roads and boats... Say I post 3 separate games up for trade, and they total roads and boats value.. would that kind of a trade be possible.. or do I need to post a game and sweeteners equal to the value of roads and boats?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Ok, 2 more questions. How do you add the id and picture for the sweeteners? I couldn't figure it out.

Also, let's take your example for roads and boats... Say I post 3 separate games up for trade, and they total roads and boats value.. would that kind of a trade be possible.. or do I need to post a game and sweeteners equal to the value of roads and boats?

Thanks!

Use the following format (removing the spaces):

[ GAMEID=xxxx ]
[ IMAGEID=yyyy ]

That'll get you the format that I use.

As for your other question... Keep in mind that you'll only be able to trade one lot for one lot; that is, if your entry is #457 on the GeekList, then everything in that entry is one "lot," main game, sweeteners, and all. So, lot #457 will (or could; nothing is guaranteed) trade for a single other lot in the trade.

So, no--three separate items/lots, no matter what their cost, cannot combine to trade for a single lot. So if you have all the Ticket to Ride games, for example, in separate lots, you cannot trade them all for a single lot of Roads & Boats.

That's when bundling comes into play. Post all the Ticket to Ride games in one lot and you'll have a better chance that you'll get Roads & Boats. Obviously, again, nothing is guaranteed, but at least now you'll have a chance.

I'd suggest reading the math trade guide linked from the main GeekList if you haven't already; I think it explains a lot of the nuts-and-bolts ideas of math trades. I know it took me a while to get my head around them!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty, I think I got it now...

But also, in your example.. putting all ticket to ride games together reduces your chance of trading them for 2-3 other games... Seems harder to get the more expensive games because there will be less trade circulation of them compared to the much more numerous lower priced games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Alrighty, I think I got it now...

But also, in your example.. putting all ticket to ride games together reduces your chance of trading them for 2-3 other games... Seems harder to get the more expensive games because there will be less trade circulation of them compared to the much more numerous lower priced games.

You're exactly right. So you have to ask yourself: Do you feel luck--sorry, wrong quote. You have to ask yourself whether you want to get a lot of bang for your buck (i.e., trade several smaller, reasonably-valued lots), or do you want to go for the big items?

I'll say this: I've been surprised at what I can get with some of the lower-valued lots. You never know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I also comment here?

You do need to be open-minded. Not for any particular altruistic reason, but simply because you generally do not get your first choice of target. You can already see from the list that there are a few really good, rare and popular items on offer. These will be in great demand. If you want to snare one of them you will need to be offering something very worthwhile. Using the previous examples, all the Ticket to Ride packets may well be enough (may well be overkill), but if you want one particular big game, you may have to go that route. If you offer small, your trading potential is more limited.

Having said all that, it's always worth the effort to seek what YOU want. Sometimes works better to not follow the herd and look for that smaller bargain that you may want somewhere further down your list. I've done a few of these and have always gained something, although not usually my first (or second or third) choice. That is my choice to keep my offers basic and not pump them up.

If you are happy just to be refreshing your collection and maybe changing games that you will never play for games that you want to give a tryout to, then list a lot of options against each of your entries. You have more chance of a trade, although it may not be the golden trade that you really hoped for. These trades are darn good fun and always worth a punt. There are also a lot about, so even if you miss out this time, there's always another around the corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I got the hang of it.. one more question.. when submitting your want list eventually.. do you need to supply the number of the post in the math trade, or just the game in general?

For example, 262. Blue Moon Expansion - The Aqua , has sweeteners of piller and Hansa...

Should I be putting in 262 or Blue moon expansion the Aqua in my want list? Someone else might present just the aqua without the sweeteners... What if I only would want it with those specific sweeteners?

Thanks again!

Additionally, some people are posting foreign language versions.. should I specify in my want list that I'll want english only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Ok, I got the hang of it.. one more question.. when submitting your want list eventually.. do you need to supply the number of the post in the math trade, or just the game in general?

For example, 262. Blue Moon Expansion - The Aqua , has sweeteners of piller and Hansa...

Should I be putting in 262 or Blue moon expansion the Aqua in my want list? Someone else might present just the aqua without the sweeteners... What if I only would want it with those specific sweeteners?

Thanks again!

Additionally, some people are posting foreign language versions.. should I specify in my want list that I'll want english only?

You'll list the "lot number" as it were--thus, the whole group. So for your example, you'd put 262, not the individual items.

If you only want a game with specific sweeteners (in other words, you want a single lot), then you specify that lot only.

If you want English only, then you'll need to only include English-only items in your want list.

Once I publish the final list, it'll make much more sense, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, sounds good. I hope some of my non bgg lists have enough interesting items to generate interest! (I should have waited until the top of the next page was available though.. my items are at the bottoms!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another question... in the want lists.. could you put in the same game as a want for a couple of your own without the possibility of getting the same game twice?

If that makes any sense...

Let's say you had 3 games a b and c.

Could you put Game D for all three in case the first 2 didn't enable you to get that game? Or is there a chance you'd get 3 of the same game if more than 1 are available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [38] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.