Popular Tags: flgs [+] recommendation [+] [View All]
Chris Engle
United States
Ellettsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I'm interested in hearing about cool destination game stores in your area. I mean a store that is so good it's worth driving a hundred miles to go to.

When I was a teenager I remember going to a Game Workshop store in London. It was cool for a Midwestern kid.

I asked about this over on RPG.net and learned about stores all over.

Games Plus in Chicago
Dragon's Lair - Austin Tx
The Source - Minniapolis
The Complete Strategist - NYC
Games and Gizmos - Redmond WA
Endgame - Oakland CA
etc.

I'd like to here what BGG can come up with.

BTW I'm in Bloomington Indiana.

Chris Engle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemasters in Pittsburgh, PA is what I consider a destination game store. I have to drive nearly an hour to get there, so it's not a store I casually drop by on my way to somewhere else. I go 6 to 10 times a year, usually for an all day gaming session. The place is well-stocked with boardgames of the Ameritrash and Euro type, plus card games, war games, collectible card and miniature games, plus regular minis and gaming accessories. A snack center, coffee machine, and soft drink fridge make it even better. There are four gaming tables in three different rooms. At any given time, there is usually a Twilight Imperium game, a miniatures game of some kind, and a Euro in play. Best of all is the owner, Phil, who is one of nicest guys you will meet. Not only does he operate a great store, but he will also special order stuff you are looking for, and provides some in-store discounts for big orders. Like I said, it's around an hour each way, but well worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hit Sci-Fi City in Orlando, FL while visiting the in-laws over the holidays. I'll plan on hitting that each time I go back now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not in my area (anynmore, cry ) but Game Parlor in Chantilly and Woodbridge VA (DC suburbs) is a GREAT store...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Engle
United States
Ellettsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wonder about ones in Atlanta. My wife is a puppeteer and she loves excuses to go down there to the Puppetry Arts Museum.

Chris Engle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van Sant
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games of Berkeley, Berkeley CA
American Eagle, Bellingham WA
Gauntlet Games, Lincoln NE
Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ

Anyone know of anything in San Antonio TX? I will be making a trip there soon and I love checking out games stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Thomson
United States
Weirton
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Gamemasters in Pittsburgh, PA is what I consider a destination game store. I have to drive nearly an hour to get there, so it's not a store I casually drop by on my way to somewhere else. I go 6 to 10 times a year, usually for an all day gaming session. The place is well-stocked with boardgames of the Ameritrash and Euro type, plus card games, war games, collectible card and miniature games, plus regular minis and gaming accessories. A snack center, coffee machine, and soft drink fridge make it even better. There are four gaming tables in three different rooms. At any given time, there is usually a Twilight Imperium game, a miniatures game of some kind, and a Euro in play. Best of all is the owner, Phil, who is one of nicest guys you will meet. Not only does he operate a great store, but he will also special order stuff you are looking for, and provides some in-store discounts for big orders. Like I said, it's around an hour each way, but well worth it!

Have you ever tried Gamemasters Realm which is in Hopewell? They have next to no board games but they have ample playing space for any gaming at all. It's only a few minutes from where you live. They play alot of Battle-Tech and mech warriors there from what i understand. I make there once a quarter or so to play in the Heroscape Tournaments.

I just wish he stocked more board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Night Games in Salt Lake City, Utah (http://gamenightgames.com/).

Game Night's euro game selection has been variously described as "ridiculously large" and "insane". The store is clean, has a nice atmosphere and a staff which actually knows about the games they sell.

They have a great website with all kinds of gaming-related information. Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sapp
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Headquarters in Oklahoma City-Good selection of boardgames, GW, lots of historical minis, huge selection of RPGs including some indie ones not usually seen in stores. They also have two big game rooms and host large Magic tournaments. Bright and clean with friendly, helpful staff.

Valhalla's Gate Columbia, MO-The most family friendly game store I've ever been in. Great selection of boardgames, lots of RPGs, GW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've already got my suggestion from RPG.net...

The Source for the Mpls/St. Paul area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Engle
United States
Ellettsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Cool! lots of new stores. Still none in Atlanta. In the Mayfair game Empire builder I'm into NYC, Chicago, Seatle and LA. That just leaves Atlanta (not that I'd need it to win.)

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lam
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Brookhurst Hobbies (www.brookhursthobbies.com) in Garden Grove, California as well as Game Empire in both Pasadena (www.gameempirepasadena.com) and San Diego (www.gameempire.com).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Great Hall Games in Austin, Texas.

Lots of minis, board games, chess, go, cards. But what is best is that there is something going on most evenings and lots of great gamers to talk with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Peebles
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit of self-promotion here, because I work at this store (If there's a problem with this, feel free to delete whatever needs to be), but we do get visitors from all over coming on a regular basis. We have consistant visitors from up to 200 miles away, and we've had a number of customers make special trips here while on holiday elsewhere in Canada.

The store is The Sentry Box located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
www.sentrybox.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someday I will make a pilgrimage to Le Valet d'Coeur in Montreal. I love them online. (Of course I love the Strand online and but it makes me physically ill when I visit in person, so I could be disappointed...)

I've gone to the Chantilly and Woodbridge Game Parlors a couple of times each and each time I wonder why I bothered. They seem clean and decently stocked and at least one has lots of (and large) tables, but, to me, they are charmless. I'd rather buy online -- I find greater variety and everything's much cheaper.

I love Child's Play (a toy store with a great selection of Euros) in my neighborhood (Chevy Chase section of Washington, DC). My mother looks forward to going there whenever she visits from CA.

I guess I want a store with personality (and a personality I enjoy, LOL!) And/or with stuff I wouldn't find elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal favorite in the Delaware Valley is:
All Things Fun!

This is a well-lit family place that breaks the negative trends you can see in some game stores. They have an extremely attentive staff with both the social skills and the knowledge to discuss games and the gaming hobby. You know how some stores have the mysterious guy skulking in the back or playing World of Warcraft while you browse? Yeah, I hate those places. This is not one of them. There is an full schedule of competition in a variety of games. All of the major collectables are included as well as some others. A Wings of War league recently started there, and I've never had a problem getting a group together for those longer weekend games that are Arkham Horror length or better. I'm always pleased with the selection and variety of titles. The managment has a good grasp on what is coming out and when.

I've been able to special order dozens of games through them, and have made good friends at their Wednesday night open board game night. I rank this store above the scattering of central and north jersey stores I've visited.

http://www.allthingsfun.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
Someday I will make a pilgrimage to Le Valet d'Coeur in Montreal. I love them online.

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. I travel quite a bit, and try to hit game shops when I travel. Le Valet d'Coeur is my favorite game shop that I've visited. They have a great collection, as well as some lines you rarely find in US game shops (check their Web Site, and you'll see - everything there is on the shelves, as well). It's also the only shop I've visited that has open copies of some of the games for sale for you to look through (although I didn't see as much of that on the last visit).

I saw some evidence of why they are so great - I was there in late October one year and saw some suitcases full of what I knew were brand new titles that I hadn't seen before..I asked them, and they had just returned from Essen. So, they know board games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second All Things Fun! in West Berlin, NJ, and also add The Game Parlor in Woodbridge, VA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSquatch wrote:
My personal favorite in the Delaware Valley is:
All Things Fun!

This is a well-lit family place that breaks the negative trends you can see in some game stores. They have an extremely attentive staff with both the social skills and the knowledge to discuss games and the gaming hobby. You know how some stores have the mysterious guy skulking in the back or playing World of Warcraft while you browse? Yeah, I hate those places. This is not one of them. There is an full schedule of competition in a variety of games. All of the major collectables are included as well as some others. A Wings of War league recently started there, and I've never had a problem getting a group together for those longer weekend games that are Arkham Horror length or better. I'm always pleased with the selection and variety of titles. The managment has a good grasp on what is coming out and when.

I've been able to special order dozens of games through them, and have made good friends at their Wednesday night open board game night. I rank this store above the scattering of central and north jersey stores I've visited.

http://www.allthingsfun.net/

I have to ditto what Wes said. I stopped gaming when I got to college. 10 years later, my wife & I were shopping for furniture when we saw the sign for All Things Fun. We stopped in on a whim, 4 years laters I'm still there for every board game night.

Its a great place. A very large, well lit, clean place with great people. Its a place I feel comfortable bringing my kids. The atmosphere for gaming is fostered by the staff. For the most part, Weds Night Gaming averages about 15-25 people in the summer, the ages range from 9 years old to 50+. There is always something for everyone. The people who play & shop there are competitive but generally put the fun of playing first which makes for a great gaming experience.

This past Weds. night for example one group was playing everyone's favorite AGRICOLA, another group was playing MUNCHKIN, yet another PITCH CAR then BINGO. The night ended with everyone playing WEREWOLF with 15 people.

The place is really great. I look forward to going there every week because I know I will have a good time

ALL THINGS FUN, West Berlin NJ (20 minutes from Philadelphia)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Boardgame King in Bayonne is the only store I've gone to specifically for games that is more than an hour each way from my house. They have a huge collection of games to play in-store and a large collection of games for sale. They demo a lot of different games at various times of the week and have regularly scheduled game tournaments. They run the store like a club where you pay a membership fee and can play any of the games in their collection. There are at least six tables in the back, if memory serves, and the owners are very helpful. Here's a link to their website but they haven't put much time into maintaining it. I don't think the site has been updated since they opened more than a year ago.

http://boardgameking.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brookhurst Hobbies is pretty awesome. When I'm visiting my sister office in Irvine, I make sure that I go there but generally more for the other stuff they carry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gamekeeper in Pawtucket, RI is an store worth going to just to play with Larry's collection of games. It's free to do so, no membership fee or anything! You can also get into a league or a tournament sometimes, but for the most part it's just free play. Plenty of games on the shelf to buy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheet
United States
Rochester
NH
flag msg tools
badge
Never tell me the odds!
mbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:
I hit Sci-Fi City in Orlando, FL while visiting the in-laws over the holidays. I'll plan on hitting that each time I go back now.

Great selection, but full retail prices. I prefer www.coolstuffgames.com in nearby Winter Park. Not quite as many titles in stock as Sci-Fi City, but their prices are comparable to the best on-line retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Yollege wrote:
You've already got my suggestion from RPG.net...

The Source for the Mpls/St. Paul area.

Well I figure this is as good of time as any to finally sign up at BGG.

I had no idea The Source was considered a board game "destination". I live 2 miles from it, and was actually there today. My friends have recently gotten into board games and this place has been my stop the past few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Duluth
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the ATL gaming scene got a little gutted, and is working its way back up. 2 years ago, this would have been a very easy answer, The War Room, but it has since closed.

Currently, we have Tower Games in Lawrenceville, and The Gaming Pit in Lilburn that I know of, both of which are up and coming, but I would not call destination stores yet.

There is also Dr. No's in Marietta that is mainly comics, and Titan Games and Comics in a few location that I would also consider mainly comics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |