Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent T.
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Airlines Europe Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Mayday Games "Eaten By Zombies!: In Cahoots" Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Indy BoardgamerMicrobadge: Indianapolis Colts fanMicrobadge: Sirlin Games Yomi Contest participant
I will be visiting the Copenhagen area (Ballerup) in late March and was wondering if anyone knew of a place to buy games. I wanted to look through the inventory and get something interesting - like a game I have never seen/heard of before, or one of my favorites in a foreign language. Does anyone know where you would be able to find Euro type games that fit into these categories?

I appreciate the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2007 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2008 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2009 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2010 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2011 Secret Santa participant
Well,

there is Jorcks Passage: http://www.gamesweb.dk/
Adress:
Games København
Jorcks Passage
1161 København K
tel. 3312 5999

It is a sidestreet of Strøget, which is a very big shopping street (longest in Europe if I'm not mistaking)

Then you have the Fantask (www.fantask.dk)
Adress:
Skt. Peders Stræde 35
DK-1453 København K.
Danmark
Telefon: (+45) 33 93 85 38

This is a bit of a walk :]

Be prepared for some VERY expensive games though. Gaming is not cheap in Denmark.

Have fun =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Beatles fanMicrobadge: Black Sabbath fanMicrobadge: KISS fanMicrobadge: Judas Priest fanMicrobadge: The Beatles fan
www.fantask.dk

Their store is about 5 minutes walk from Tivoli & Ströget in the center of København (The main shopping street of Copenhagen). http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sankt+Peder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome to Denmark!

Some of the games avaliable in Danish:

Settlers of Catan = the Settlers

Carcassonne (at least some of them)

Wreckage

Thurn & Taxis

Diamant

Zooloretto

Portobello Market

Oltre Mare

Mykerinos

Lord of the Rings = Ringenes herre

Top Race = Race

Category 5 = Ta6!

Manhattan

New York New York

Around the World in 80 Days = Jorden rundt i 80 dage

Chicken Cha Cha Cha = Hønsefræs

Elfenland

Samurai

Ticket to Ride (notice that you can get TtR - Nordic Countries in Denmark)

Tigris & Euphrates

Doom

Metro = Metro

El Grande

Citadels

Kingdoms

Ingenious = Genial

Hoity Toity = Grever & Baroner

Colossal Arena

Some bookshops have a small amount of games - visit
Gad (list with shops in Copenhagen: http://www.gad.dk/pages.asp?p=cms&id=1&subid=10)
or Bog & Idé (in Copenhagen: http://www.bog-ide.dk/Default.asp?ID=30&Region=13).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Clash of Cultures fanMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures fan - my cities are happy!Microbadge: Clash of Cultures fan - I don't care what mood my cities are in!Microbadge: Clash of Cultures fanMicrobadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
And yes, games in Denmark are insanely expenssive. Almost twice the price surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent T.
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Airlines Europe Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Mayday Games "Eaten By Zombies!: In Cahoots" Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Indy BoardgamerMicrobadge: Indianapolis Colts fanMicrobadge: Sirlin Games Yomi Contest participant
Wow! What a lot of great information!

I don't mind paying more for a unique product, I don't get over there often (about every 4 years or so). This will be the first for my wife though. I am a big fan of the Scandinavian countries and I know this isn't the last time we will go. The limiting factor for the whole trip is cost and the dollar is getting killed, but I'll save some on the side for some great games. I'm especially interested in a copy of Settlers, ticket to ride Nordic countries and Hoity Toity, although I may go with something I haven't experienced before.

Thanks Nick, Hakan, Andrea and Christian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Jensen
Denmark
Stenlose
Sealand
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Innovation Deluxe fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game FanMicrobadge: I love Vlaada Chvátil!Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
for a real kick in the pants, pick up a Danish version of Scrabble. Since we have an additional three letters in Danish as compared to English, that would be rather unique, and possibly an interesting twist to playing the game in English

Also, I second visiting Fantask, which is a great, quaint shop with both games, comics and all the geeky stuff that goes with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhuge wrote:
I'm especially interested in a copy of Settlers, ticket to ride Nordic countries and Hoity Toity, although I may go with something I haven't experienced before.
I saw TtR Nordic and Settlers in Fantask yesterday - not sure they have Hoity Toity though. It's a small shop but they have a lot of interesting stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Jensen
Denmark
Stenlose
Sealand
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Innovation Deluxe fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game FanMicrobadge: I love Vlaada Chvátil!Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I just stumbled across some games I had heard of, but forgotten.

http://www.skalk.dk/Sider/0023spil.html has an old viking game and the game Gnav. That would make for something very nordic to buy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Trygve Myhrer
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Android userMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Math GeekMicrobadge: Alternate History fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries fan
Not a game you are likley to have heard about is Tciket to Ride Nordic Countries, but it is only sold in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland. It is rare for people who do not want to pay a lot for shipping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent T.
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
I just stumbled across some games I had heard of, but forgotten.

http://www.skalk.dk/Sider/0023spil.html has an old viking game and the game Gnav. That would make for something very nordic to buy
Yes I'll agree, when clicking this link I have no idea what any of those games are about! I might be posting for a translation on here when I get back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Leth Jorno
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
There's an entry in here for the first (viking) game under 'Hnfatafl'. It's sort of a chess and looks really cool. There's also some danish guys who's designed the new game 'King of Chicago'. A mobster game. I really enjoy it. I don't know if they're distributing it to the U.S.?
Has anyone mentioned 'Farao's Cigarer?' on 'Skindergade' pretty close to Games. Have a nice trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Dyrbye-Skovsted
Denmark
Odense
fyn
flag msg tools
if youre looking for something very original i would recomend Babe Quest, im pretty sure its made by two danish guys and it pretty much sums up danish culture....drinking and blondes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent T.
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey you all, just got back from my small European tour and was in the land of great beer and quality steer (who knew) for 4 days. Wouldn't you know it, but the stores were closed(Fantask - Jorcks was also closed when I was able to get there) from Friday through Monday for Easter! I know I was going during a holiday, but for God's sake (pun intended), who takes 4 days off!?!?! Must be nice not to need the business.....

Needless to say I was very disappointed I was not able to purchase a game. Otherwise the trip was a rousing success! Rundetårn, Kronborg Slot, The Crown Jewels, Little Mermaid all were visited and enjoyed. Too bad it was cold and snowy the entire time. I heard it hadn't snowed all winter. Thanks for all your advice and I'll have to save up to ship something home.

Skål, Bunden i vejret eller resten i håret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Jensen
Denmark
Stenlose
Sealand
flag msg tools
Well yes... it's one thing we Danes tend to neglect while we're bitching over our 25% VAT and 50% income taxes... namely the fact that the minimum annual vacation for anyone working is five weeks, and the spring time is FILLED with holidays where the country just shuts down. (Easter is the worst though).

Too bad you didn't get to buy anything. Feel free to let me know if you need assistance buying, sending, or generally acquiring anything for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi everybody!

Does anybody know where I can buy board game "Survive!" in Copenhagen or Malmo?

PS:I have checked http://www.gamesweb.dk and www.fantask.dk web sites but there is no this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: My cat destroys games in progressMicrobadge: Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me!Microbadge: Fantastiqa fanMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: 2-player Games fan
Hi! Has anyone ever seen the Z-Man game BRIDGE TROLL available in Denmark anywhere? I'm the designer, my mother is Danish, and I designed the game based on the Scandinavian story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff. The game is selling well in 24 countries, but not, as far as I can tell, in Scandinavia!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Jendreizik
Denmark
Brabrand
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2009 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2015 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2016 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2018 Secret Santa participant
As far as i can tell it's not available in Denmark. Iv'e checked all the online gameshops i know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: My cat destroys games in progressMicrobadge: Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me!Microbadge: Fantastiqa fanMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: 2-player Games fan
Thanks for looking into this question, Boneslammer!

Last month I contacted different Scandinavian stores and many now carry Bridge Troll, including in Denmark. It's now available here in DK:

http://www.gamesweb.dk/view.php?template=products&page_id=21...

http://www.fantask.dk/default.asp?id=1&cbochoice=games&itemi...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fanMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: International Gamers Award Jury memberMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Posthuman fan
alfseegert wrote:
The game is selling well in 24 countries, but not, as far as I can tell, in Scandinavia!
Generally, games don't sell well in Denmark. Period.
The fairytale, btw, is of Norwegian origin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Mik!
Yes, the tale is Norwegian. But I hoped it would still have some interest in Denmark (am I wrong about that?) Maybe you can help me with a question: I'm not all that clear about how much those things associated with Scandinavia by non-Scandinavians (trolls, Vikings, IKEA) are of actual interest to people living IN Scandinavia. Any thoughts on that? My mom is Danish and loves (and fears) trolls and talks about Vikings a lot, but I'd do well to gain a broader view....

Thx!
Alf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fanMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: International Gamers Award Jury memberMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Posthuman fan
In Denmark, games are for kids - or immature men.

Obviously we have a small community of gamers, but they actually prefer to buy English language games, so a shop like FANTASK will most likely sell more copies of the English edition of your game, than a Danish.

As to whether modern Danes likes trolls or vikings?
Only roleplayers will know about the trolls, and only history buffs would be interested in Vikings.

How many Americans are interested in the Wild West?
I don't think modern Americans are too occupied with the subject. Let's see how well Carson City will be selling in US shops.

As for IKEA - it's Swedish! [pfft]
We don't like Swedes and certainly not their stupid furniture that are impossible to assemble!
Yes, we do shop in IKEA, but only because we have to, as we cannot afford to buy furniture elsewhere - thanks to the highest tax level in the world.

All the above are generalisations, naturally.
Personally I buy most of my furniture from IKEA, and have never had any problems any of it. I am also fairly interested in Vikings, but then, I am interested in history. As for trolls, I don't know much about them. I don't think they have ever had a large part in Danish folklore. Ther belong to the great woods and mountains of Norway and Sweden.

We Danes are much more interested in the little Nisse (a house god that looks like a gnome, but isn't)
External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls