Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but I'm a long term board games player.

My best games at the moment are: The Pillar of the Earth, Jamaica, Agricola, Marrakech, Tsuro and The Lord of the Rings (to name but a few).

I'm living in Switzerland but I will be travelling to the US next week. I will be spending a week in Los Angeles.

I'm looking for a good board games store in the L.A. area (I will be based near the LAX airport but I can easlily move around with a taxi).

There is one games I'm looking for: Mall of Horror (published by Asmodée, with the french name "Zombies").

Does any of you know where I could find this games or more generally where I could find some good board games stores in this area ?

Thanks a lot for you help.

Fabien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is going to be a major game convention this weekend at the LAX Radisson hotel. Several vendors will be there, so you should have an excellent opportunity to find Mall of Horror out there.

Convention information, including event listings and registration, can be found at http://www.strategicon.net

As for actual stores, the airport area is maybe the WORST part of the city to find a game store. Aero Hobbies in Santa Monica is perhaps closest, but is more of a wargame store.

I actually capsule reviewed several area stores in another thread recently:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2069986#2069986

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
> Aero Hobbies in Santa Monica is perhaps closest, but is more of a wargame store.

I would say its got more euros than wargames, at least in the boardgame dept. In the miniatures selection, yes its mostly war related.

They have gaming tables there you can play on. On weekends though, the tables tend to all get claimed very early.

http://www.aerohobbiesgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cisco Serret wrote:
> Aero Hobbies in Santa Monica is perhaps closest, but is more of a wargame store.

I would say its got more euros than wargames, at least in the boardgame dept. In the miniatures selection, yes its mostly war related.

They have gaming tables there you can play on. On weekends though, the tables tend to all get claimed very early.

http://www.aerohobbiesgames.com/

Not having been there personally, I hear that there is a space issue at Aero, with the store being a bit smallish. Is that true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Third Planet in Torrance (nearest cross street: Pacific Coast Highway and Hawthorne Boulevard) might have it. It's on the east side of the shopping area that includes a Best Buy. Give them a call before you head that way. The store specializes in comic books and Warhammer stuff, but does stock a fair selection of board games.

If you don't mind public transportation, the Torrance Transit #8 bus runs down that way. You can catch it at the LAX bus depot area near the airport. It's 50 cents each way (which beats the $25-$30 one way taxi fare). On weekdays, the bus runs every 20-30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider having an internet retailer deliver to your hotel. Clear this with your hotel, of course. http://www.boardgameprices.com/ will give you prices. Boards & Bits and Thought Hammer are reliable and relatively close to LA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FabienC wrote:
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but I'm a long term board games player.

My best games at the moment are: The Pillar of the Earth, Jamaica, Agricola, Marrakech, Tsuro and The Lord of the Rings (to name but a few).

I'm living in Switzerland but I will be travelling to the US next week. I will be spending a week in Los Angeles.

I'm looking for a good board games store in the L.A. area (I will be based near the LAX airport but I can easlily move around with a taxi).

There is one games I'm looking for: Mall of Horror (published by Asmodée, with the french name "Zombies").

Does any of you know where I could find this games or more generally where I could find some good board games stores in this area ?

Thanks a lot for you help.

Fabien

What day do you arrive? The convention right next to LAX runs through Monday and it will be a great show. Aero is certainly the closest but for a better selection you might find your way up to Pasadena and Game Empire (www.gameempirepasadena.com). They have a terrific selection.

Also, if you want to game while you are here, check out www.socalgamers.info for various events.

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ke7in11
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not going to be here when the convention is going on, I'd say the same thing as the above posters.

One piece of info, though: L.A. is not the kind of town you can easily put your arm up and hail a taxi. You should make sure you have a cab company's phone number handy, if you're going to use taxis as your primary form of transportation all week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

thanks a lot for all your answers.

I will arrive on the 20th, so I'm definitely gonna miss the convention. Too bad :-(

My main transportation will indeed be the taxi, so I'll make sure I carry a company's phone number at all time. Thanks for the advice.

I will look into the long list and I will let you know when I'm back.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend:

The Last Grenadier
820 N Hollywood Way
Burbank, CA 91505
(818) 848-9144

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you have a great time out here.

Sadly, the closest stores to the airport tend to be the grubbier ones.

The best stores, for some reason, all range further away from the airport. Game Empire in Pasadena, Gameology in Claremont and Seth's Games in Ventura are 3 I would most recommend to anyone. You may have varying experiences at most other stores in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

Well, I'm back in Switzerland and I had Mall of Horror in my suitcase ! Thanks to all of you.

I went to Aero Games & Hobbies in Santa Monica. I sent an email from Switzerland before I got on the plane and they ordered it for me to make sure they would have it.

They have been very helpful and very professional.

I can only recommend this store.

Again, thanks a lot for you help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls