Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Duplantis
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I am a 18 year old from the US. I am going on a senior trip to London March 8th through March 16th of this year. I was wondering if anyone would be open to let me join them in a gaming session if any guys are gaming these days. I am not a frequent gamer due to the fact that no one near me plays board games (although I have tried to start, but I only have San Juan, Ticket to Ride, and Yspahan at the moment). If there are no groups avaliable, could someone give me some insite on the nearest gaming shops to where we are staying.

Hotel Imperial
Russel Square

If anyone could help me with this, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone and if you needs anymore information feel free to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gamer looking for group in London AND nearest gaming sho
Here's a list of game shops I pulled off the BGG wiki for London, UK for you, not sure which is closest to where you are staying though. I've visited Compendia and they were really nice but probably not closest to you. Have a nice trip and I hope someone in the London area posts about a gaming group for you to visit.

London

Compendia
10 The Market, Greenwich, SE10
020 82936616 (Fax: 020 83051900)
rob@compendia.co.uk

Hamleys
188-196 Regent Street, W1
Tube: Oxford Circus
0870 3332455

Leisure Games
100 Ballards Lane, Finchley, N3 2DN
Tube: Finchley Central
020 83462327 (Fax 020 83433888)
shop@leisuregames.com

Orc's Nest
6 Earlham Street, WC2H 9RY.
Tube: Leicester Square
020 7379 4254

Pandemonium
125 Sheen Lane, Mortlake, London, SW14 8AE
Train: Mortlake
020 8878 0866

Playin' Games
33 Museum Street
Tube: Holborn or Tottenham Court Road
020 73233080

Village Games
65 The West Yard, Camden Lock, NW1 8AF
Tube: Camden Town
020 74850653
sales@villagegames.compulink.co.uk

AB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russell square is going to be about 5-10 minute walk away from Playin' Games. So there's your nearest gameshop. As for groups: seeing you're in the town centre, Swiggers, London On Board and the GLC Games club are the groups playing nearby. See the Wiki for more details: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/UK_faq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to consider, don't expect games to be cheaper in the UK, they aren't. London is fortunate in that with Playin Games and Liesure Games it has two good games shops the UK as a whole suffers from very high game prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoid Hamleys, unless you just go to look. It is grossly overpriced in an already overpriced market.

Playin' Games is right by the British Museum, so you could do the culture trip in conjunction with a game buying visit (and it is near to Russell Square).

Enjoy London.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hillier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swiggers games group meets in a n upstairs at the Shipwrights Arms pub, 2 minutes walk form London Bridge tube station every Wednesday evening. Games generally get going from around 6 and last as long as there are people around to play, which is usually around 10.30ish. Euro style games make up the majority of what is played, though sometimes someone brings Battlelore or something of that ilk, and tend to be games more recently published. As a usual turnout is in the 20-25 people range there is always plenty of variety and I never fail to come away without having played something for the first time.

Everyone there is a friendly bunch, there is no subscription fee or anything and the pub down below offers decent pub standard food and drink throughout the night.

The address is 88, Tooley St, London, SE1 2TF. From Russel Square tube, take the Picadilly Line north to King's Cross and then change to the Northern Line Bank branch and take it south to London Bridge station. Then when exiting the station, walk right along Tooley Street so the bridge is to your left and behind you. Keep going past the London Dungeon on your right and the pub is two minutes walk.

Hope you have a nice time in London.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls