United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2017
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've heard about Lloyd's rules... first saw them referenced in a funagain.com review. I like this game, but we definitely do not play it as often because of the issue with players getting off to an unlucky start and then being in a losing position for the rest of the game. I found just one thread related to this topic on BGG... if there are more, please point me to them.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/162887

I do not need to know exactly what changes are made with these different rules, but I would like to know if anyone here has played Acquire using Lloyd's rules. Does it fix the problem I described above? Does it make the game more or less complicated? Overall, do you recommend Lloyd's rules?

I would consider purchasing the new reprint coming in June if the issue is fixed with these rules. If not, then I will probably just play it when playing with the people I know who own the original 3M version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brooks
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk to this guy!

Lloyd Solon
(gmcpanel)

Quote:
This is a pretty interesting tidbit since I was told just last month by an agent who is representing my "Lloyd's Rules of Acquire" and my "Acquire Concepts" that Hasbro believes there is no interest in financial board games and has no interest at this time of putting any on the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's incredibly weird to me that these variant rules are available for SALE instead of Lloyd just posting them here for people to play free of charge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Solon
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I played my first game of Acquire around 1980. During that game I watched the other players have an intense match while I played without any good tiles or money during the whole game. I came away from that experience thinking that the game wasn’t any fun. I knew that the others were having fun, especially the person who was bankrolling their way to the win. I later decided that I would reexamine the game.

There are a lot of grey areas in the many versions of Acquire rules. Many items are not addressed and assumptions have to be made. This can cause a lot of arguments depending on the people that are playing. Because of this, I felt that first and foremost the grey areas needed to be defined. After defining the grey areas I felt that there needed to be two major changes to the rules.

I changed the two rules and began to play the game the way I thought was more enjoyable and fair to all players. After many intense matches with family and friends, they began to call them "LLoyd's Rules." My older sister encouraged me to publish them a few years ago and make them available to everyone.

I have seen discussion that these should not be for sale, or that $3.95 with free shipping worldwide is too much for a rule booklet, but after the cost of copyrighting, publishing, advertising fees, credit card fees and shipping it is a reasonable price. They are printed on ivory paper and designed to neatly fit into any version of Acquire. They are compatible with all editions of Acquire.

I have tried to sell them to Hasbro but they are not interested in paying additional royalties for an established game. They would rather have one of their employees come up with the idea, which is why I have them copyrighted. I have also copyrighted "Acquire Concepts" which are numerous variations of the game to allow them to be marketed to other audiences.

"Lloyd's Rules of Acquire" are available at http://cgi.ebay.com/Lloyds-Rules-of-Acquire-For-Every-Acquir... along with many replacement parts for the older versions of Acquire. If the link doesn't work, just look under Acquire Games in e-bay and I am listed under "Items available from stores."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmcpanel wrote:
There are a lot of grey areas in the many versions of Acquire rules. Many items are not addressed and assumptions have to be made. This can cause a lot of arguments depending on the people that are playing.

"...a lot of grey areas..." - this is the kind of statement I'd love to see supported with some examples.

gmcpanel wrote:
I have seen discussion that these should not be for sale, or that $3.95 with free shipping worldwide is too much for a rule booklet, but after the cost of copyrighting, publishing, advertising fees, credit card fees and shipping it is a reasonable price.

Absolutely, I had the same issue with some playing aids I created. Thanksfully, after uploading them to BGG I had not to pay any advertising or credit card fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pincho Paxton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Somebody selling rules to an established game? Strange! I am making a computer version called Super Acquire. If I could have some ideas on how to make the game fairer, I would put them in the game.

My final suggestion to Lloyd is that he creates an offspring of Acquire.. a totally new board game, but with a similar feel, and put his rules in that game. You might think that the copyrights for Acquire would block his path, but I made a new computer version of Monopoly many years ago, sent it to Waddingtons for approval, and they sent me a reply that said blackboard hold the copyrights, but I am not breaking their copyright, because my game had so many differences to the original version. they also said "Computer games will never take off." :D

Pincho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamen
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Lloyd's Rules of Acquire and incorporated them into my last gaming session. It fixes a lot of problems with the original rules. I'm not going to give anything away but one of the things it does is eliminates the sitting around impotent because your chains aren't merging and you're broke.

Got our group playing Acquire again (and luckily one of us owns the 1999 Hasbro version...lucky bastard(ess)...)

Hit Lloyd up. He's a stand up fellow and has some pretty frigging good ideas. It's only 4 bucks and I (somehow) actually got it the next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Enola
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good grief -- If I paid $2 for every rule that someone else modified/re-wrote/fixed, I'd be as broke as Lloyd was the first time he played Acquire!

I've been on both ends of the variant/player aid sharing chain on BGG many times, and it has never once crossed my mind to start putting a dollar sign in front of any of them.

Fortunately, it seems that nearly everyone else here feels the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmcpanel wrote:
"Lloyd's Rules of Acquire" are available at http://cgi.ebay.com/Lloyds-Rules-of-Acquire-For-Every-Acquir... along with many replacement parts for the older versions of Acquire. If the link doesn't work, just look under Acquire Games in e-bay and I am listed under "Items available from stores."

This made me curious, bu the link doesn't work and "Items available from stores" makes no sense. Please send me in the right direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this out, he's trying again:
http://www.megacquire.com/home.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Nickster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I bought Lloyds rules out of curiosity. I have not played them only read through.

My recommendation is DO NOT USE

It looks like they have been created by a comittee of people wishing to remove any element of strategy out of the game.

I won't go into detail here but its like Acquire for 4 year olds. There will be no winners or losers just equal players...... any fun, edge etc. has tried to be removed.

We have all been the player that has run out of cash early and for the rest of the game has basically just sat there and added tiles to the board.

When this has happened I changed my strategy to avoid this ever again. What I did not do is re-write the rules to add new play features to stop this happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Nickster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Flix wrote:
Check this out, he's trying again:
http://www.megacquire.com/home.php

I must say that game does look very cool and if Lloyd has managed to create a version of the Acquire game that actually goes beyond the original then I must try it.

I am not a fan of the Lloyds rules and hopefully this new game is not just Acquire with Lloyds rules......I watch with baited breath
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In reading this thread, I am reminded of Max's Rules for Axis and Allies that was popular back in the late 80s. I think he was selling them, but I don't know for sure, or what arrangement he had with Milton Bradley. As this was the era before the internet, his rules were distributed in print. Notably, most of Max's Rules were incorporated into the re-released Hasbro versions of the game (based on my hazy recollection, for example, Max introduced artillery - making double use of the anti-aircraft guns - which were not in the original A&A games I played in 1985; modern versions, I think, have separate artillery units).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of thing is absolutely ridiculous. The guy plays once, while he doesn't know the strategy of the game, and then, instead of learn to play well, he decides that the game is not fun! Then he tries to sell his variant to the publisher, even to his fellow players in the world! For sure I wouldn't play that variant even if it was free. Acquire is a great game. It is hard to play well.

People that make variants should try to develop a game from scratch... they would eventually start to respect the hard work from designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt they improve the game. Many new players moan about the luck of tile draw or being stuck with shares in wrong companies and no cash, but that's about the skill of the game, what chains to buy and when not to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that Acquire has some problems is general knowledge. Random tile distribution can lead to players being unable to start corporations for free stock which gives other players a definite, and sometimes snowballing, advantage. Yeah, its a "great game" and "hard to play well" (perhaps) but it isn't perfect. Before BGG and internet, Lloyd had an idea and thought making it available to other players for a small fee to cover his own printing and distribution costs would be something Acquire players might really want. And they did (I believe he's sold a lot of his rules over the years.) It may be time for Lloyd's Rules to be freely available for downloading and home printing, but if Lloyd isn't ready to let go then I respect that.

Repeated character defamation and ridicule is what I find abhorrent. If you don't want to use Lloyd's rules in your play then don't. It's a choice all of us can make freely. No sense in making Lloyd out to be ignorant and uninformed. He appears to be an intelligent person who thought his ideas could make a difference, and improve the game Acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well roared, Todd!
Besides, isn't his enthusiasm and passion for this game something adorable...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nelson
msg tools
Been playing 25 Plus years. I win....a lot, not bragging, just sayin. Sometimes I don't even buy stock on my turn and players look at me sideways like I'm playing wrong. Lots of strategy involoved and which pieces to play is key to the game. Being random in playing pieces will ensure you lose. I've seen players get lucky and merge early etc... but you have 3 parts of the game. beginning, middle and end and you must play each very well to come out on top. Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Uriniuk
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree David Nelson.

I bought Lloyd's MEGAquire game just to see if it would allow for an opportunity to play with a group over six (maybe up to ten) given the bigger board and additional corporations/hotels and stocks, but I didn't know about all the revamped rules that he put into it. I haven't even played his game yet, but before I do I've been trying to find a way to balance the old rules within the new scope and size of MEGAcquire. I'd really like to create a set of rules for this new game that keeps the basic play and strategies of the original game but accommodates larger groups of people. In the past we've had to play two separate games at the same time while having a 3rd and 4th game occur afterwards (a championship and loser's round) -- usually quite fun, but not always ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Flix"]Check this out, he's trying again:
http://www.megacquire.com/home.php[/q

...and the site doesn't exist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renamed to http://www.megacquisitions.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.