Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a 24 hour layover in Amsterdam next week, and was looking to pick up a copy of Union Pacific.
Any idea's on where to pick on up (and what is the prices?) or only other local advice on games or anything else?

I've already checked out the following threads on the BGG Forums:
Boardgame shops in Amsterdam http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/165106
Game Stores in The Netherlands http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15712
FLGS of the World - A List of Game Store Advice on BGG http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

and sounds like I need to check out The Gamekeeper & V&D
Thanks
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the Game Keeper has the largest selection of board games in Amsterdam. Het Paard Go Winkel has a nice selection of board games and an excellent selection of abstract strategy games (chess, GO, GIPF Project, etc.) and supplies. You can easily walk to both stores from Centraal Station and I think Het paard has Union Pacific, but either could have it as 999 Games seem to have the most availability in town. You might want to look for the free 999 games postcard settlers while in either shop and check out the QWG Master Series games that feature Mike Doyle Artwork as I am not sure on their availability in the USA. Have fun and let me know what day next week and perhaps we can get together for some kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
You might also want to check out Vroom & Dreesmann, it is a department store that sometimes has really good sales on boardgames. They are on the Kalverstraat and it is about a 20 minute walk from Central Station. The only thing is that I don't know if the one on the Kalverstraat has a decent selction of games since I usually go to the one in Alkmaar (that is a whole different city) which is a little more family oriented it seems. BTW, if you have time there is also a comic book/warhammer store in Alkmaar and they have boardgames upstairs (sometimes the upstairs is closed but if you ask they will open it for you). Last time I was there they still had UP and Stephensons rocket and loads of Formula de tracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Oops, I see you knew about V&D already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty much the same stuff at V&D, intertoys, bart smit, and bijenkorff. You might pay a fraction more at the specialty shops but they certainly have a better selection. The aforementioned mostly carry 999 games, goliath, and a smattering of Amigo. The American Bookstore carries a nice selection of board games and RPGS but it's all the same stuff you can get back in the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls