Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] nyc [+] newyork [+] [View All]
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm visiting New York City for a week in April, and I was wondering if anyone knows a good gamestore in the city that they can recommend? I'll also be spending a couple of days in the Port Chester/Rye area, so the same goes for that.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two stores you might want to visit are:

The Compleat Strategist on the North side of 33rd St. between 5th Ave & Madison Ave. (It's right near The Empire State Building)

This place is stacked to the ceiling with almost any game you might want that has been released in English and is currently in print.

Neutral Ground is at 15 West 37th St. between 5th & 6th Ave (closer to 5th).

They have a lot of games, but no where near the amount that The Compleat Strategist has. But, Neutral Ground has gaming tables!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sefton wrote:

The Compleat Strategist on the North side of 33rd St. between 5th Ave & Madison Ave. (It's right near The Empire State Building)

This place is stacked to the ceiling with almost any game you might want that has been released in English and is currently in print.

They have a lot of games, but no where near the amount that The Compleat Strategist has. But, Neutral Ground has gaming tables!

It's worth visiting both, as they are just four blocks away from each other, and in walking distance of Penn Station. Anyone changing trains at PS should consider putting in a layover just to see both places. Full retail though, with NYC sales tax. You'll likely not find a higher price on games within 1000 miles.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sefton wrote:

The Compleat Strategist...

Really? The Strategist used to have a medium-sized room in the back right corner for gaming tables, but I noticed with the densely packed shelves, they must've converted to stockroom shelves.

I'm in Michigan these past several years now, but I made sure to take the kids for a brief, circuitous tour a couple of years back. And the Strategist still writes on the same old gray receipt box. Damn, that was heaven! Being a teen, handing over da cash and hearing that ballpoint pen dance on that mother-loving receipt box!

Heh-vuhn!! wow

p.s. I'll have to swing by the Neutral Ground some year. Btw, ever-loving best gyros kitty-corner from Penn Station at the Gyro II. 7th avenue, east-side of street between 33rd and 34th. Best gyro sauce, ev-uh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G A
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That Gryo place has been there a loooong time (I remember hitting it in the mid 1970's and it still makes the best Gyro's around. I first discovered The Compleat Strategist in the 70's as well. A great store. Two important Manhattan icons (at least in my mind). And both places are within a few minutes walking distance from each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul canosa
Japan
shizuoka
Shizuoka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strategist has a decent enough website so you can see some stuff there

http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/

Being a native, I never actually it the gyro shop. Its on my list of places to go on my next visit.

on the food aspect of this thread

check out

Mamouns Falafel
http://www.mamounsfalafel.com/
mouth watering

and the first rays pizza at the corner of 6th ave and 11th street in Greenwich village across the street from PS 41.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donpaulo wrote:
strategist has a decent enough website so you can see some stuff there

and the first rays pizza at the corner of 6th ave and 11th street in Greenwich village across the street from PS 41.

Ahhh...been there! And right near my favorite news and magazine store in the world (if it's still there). Hmmmm... hope it carries Knucklebones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Baker
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
I was just about to ask something similar, except that I very specifically need to find me a copy of a decent quality (not candylandesque, thanks, the child's mother would kill me) kids game by... uh... 4pm tomorrow. ANY kids game, practically. So maybe the links will help me winnow down the list to stores with even a tiny option for children. Otherwise, I'll be taking the train here, there, and everywhere, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The complete strategist has a pretty big collection and the staff there is pretty friendly.

Neutral Ground does have gaming tables but a big CCG community..not sure if that's still the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls