Popular Tags: [View All]
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From ConsimWorld: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@378.lLbCdzR6ODD.8@.1dd15...

Jerry Taylor wrote: "Next project - already under way - is "Hoka Hey" (Sioux for "This is a good day to die"). Topic: The Sioux Indian Wars, 1862-1877. Strategic level game with the map including North and South Dakota, northern Nebraska, Wyoming, and Montana. Probably about 100 blocks with each federal block step = 1 company or so. You'll also get blocks for a couple of dozen forts. I am really fired up about this one - really interesting situation that has never been gamed before. Ought to be playtesting by summer at the latest. Maybe I'll even have something to show at the WBC to compliment the release of WotR."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if anyone is following this thread, but if they are, here's something Jerry wrote about this game in one of the WotR threads (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/380438)

Quote:
The Sioux game may well become a Euro-game ... my first. If it goes in that direction, it would be a multi-player game where each player is in charge of a sub-tribe of the Sioux (Brule, Oglalla, etc.). The U.S. army has no player - their perfidity is played-out via the cards. At the begining of each turn (year), each player would draw a total of x cards from three distinct decks - a hunting deck, a trading deck, and a raiding deck (say, one from each, two from one and one from another, or all three from one). Players would use these cards to build up their tribe and, as you might expect, cards can be traded between players. You might get bonus draws from certain decks each year based on where you are on the board (for instance, if you're near Ft. Laramie, you might get a bonus draw from the Trading deck). Cards might be good or bad - and the really bad ones, for instance, might be a major campaign against you by the U.S. army. If the players don't help one another against the Americans, they're going to get creamed. But some tribes will be more militarily capable than others (if they draw from certain decks anyway, but if they do, they'll be weak in other areas), meaning you'll have to choose between when to help another tribe and when to let them hang in your own self-interest. Only one player wins - he who has the most tribesmen under his control at the end of the game. Could make for a very enjoyable dynamic.

But ... it wouldn't be a wargame.

Also of obvious interest is the possible operational level Henry V game mentioned in the same thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls