Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was staying in a hotel room last night, I went online through my phone and found a listing for a game store a few minutes away from me. Upon plugging the address into my GPS I headed out and was at the store in about 3 minutes. The store itself (Called "Spellbound" and located in Waterville, Maine) was kind of buried in a basement.

As I entered the store I saw a bunch of people hanging out, drinking sodas and playing on a few Nintendo DS systems. I was greeted by a friendly salesmen who asked if I needed help finding anything. I told him no, I was just browsing and saw a tiny shelf of board games. Granted, there were only about 20 different games available for purchase, but the prices on them seemed excellent for a brick-and-mortar store.

I picked up a copy of Arkham Horror for $42 out the door. After looking on the marketplace here for the lowest price (including shipping), the best I could find was about $40. I gladly will pay $2 to not have to wait for the package to arrive. They also had the Dunwich Horror expansion for $30, and Shadows Over Camelot for $45. Both were darn good prices, but I couldn't bring myself to buy both, seeing as I had just already spent a total $150 buying other games at another LGS in another town laugh

I didn't think it was possible to find a brick-and-mortar game store that had very good prices, but it has indeed been found....the Holy Grail of FLGSs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Run away. Run away fast.

There is something very wrong here.

They are probably some kind of Cult. And they are just trying to lure you in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sloan66 wrote:
Run away. Run away fast.

There is something very wrong here.

They are probably some kind of Cult. And they are just trying to lure you in.

I think that it's just a huge coincidence of mis-pricing every game that I saw there. They obviously forgot to calculate the 75% LGS Tax gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kids drinking soda and playing Nintendo DS??? Games a game store sells below MSRP???

Dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
I didn't think it was possible to find a brick-and-mortar game store that had very good prices, but it has indeed been found....the Holy Grail of FLGSs!

I didn't think LGSs that had low prices were too hard to find... Finding them again in a year, now that's the tough part. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's probably not THIS store:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/spellbound-augusta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j&j cards in Waterloo Canada is a retail store that has prices on par with online places AND they've been around a long time AND they have excellent selection. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
I checked the prices of the games you mentioned on boardgameprices.com. They're actually cheaper online. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
j&j cards in Waterloo Canada is a retail store that has prices on par with online places AND they've been around a long time AND they have excellent selection. Highly recommended.

I can confirm that! Great selection, great prices... I'm lucky to live here!

In fact, if anyone is considering post-secondary education options, Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo are only a 10 to 20 minute walk from J&J's. How big is your student loan? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mb
ed95005 wrote:
I checked the prices of the games you mentioned on boardgameprices.com. They're actually cheaper online. Sorry.

Did you add shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:

Add shipping in there as well. I still paid $2 more than I would have elsewhere. For me there is a $5-10 "fee" for having the game in my hands the instant I make payment instead of waiting for shipping, that I am willing to accept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This may also have to do with whether you are seeing older inventory. With the drop in the value of the US Dollar, many Euro games are now more expensive to buy. You may have been seeing "older" prices.

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PrairieBoy wrote:

In fact, if anyone is considering post-secondary education options, Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo are only a 10 to 20 minute walk from J&J's. How big is your student loan? devil

Props to the U. of Waterloo for housing the Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games!
http://www.gamesmuseum.uwaterloo.ca/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:

Highly Agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely this is a sign of the coming apocalypse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the Necromancy, but I am sure this link would help this topic.

http://www.spellbnd.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PrairieBoy wrote:
agent easy wrote:

In fact, if anyone is considering post-secondary education options, Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo are only a 10 to 20 minute walk from J&J's. How big is your student loan? :devil:

Wow! That's awesome. Mmmm... how close to Queen's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keng Ho wrote:
PrairieBoy wrote:

Props to the U. of Waterloo for housing the Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games!
http://www.gamesmuseum.uwaterloo.ca/

Mmmm...forget Queen's. Waterloo sounds VERY good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:

Thanks for the tip, Miguel. I'm going to be in Waterloo in July and will definitely pay them a visit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls