Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
573 Posts
[1]  Prev «  19 , 20 , 21 , 22 , 23  | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Inkscape Extensions for Boardgame Development rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Inkscape [+] diy [+] gamedesign [+] game-design [+] graphics_programs [+] [View All]
Nicola Preda
Italy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Concordia fanMicrobadge: Lorenzo il Magnifico fanMicrobadge: I print my own components.
Hello, sorry for the late answer.

I did not modify (or open) the original files before running the script but, just to double check, I have done a new test with a fresh download of the cards files from the repository.

The result has been the same, I still get the error previously reported.

I am running this on Windows 10 64bit; I am using an Italian keyboard layout but I have English settings for the "Format", under Control Panel->Region.

-----

Additional note: on a successful run of one of the other scripts, I am still getting this message:

** (inkscape.exe:728): WARNING **: 18:42:58.455: Format autodetect failed. The file is being opened as SVG.

If I go to Control Panel -> Clock and Region -> Region -> Administrative (tab) and I select "Change system locale..." I can then select "Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for worlwide language support". In this way, the script does not return an error but only the warning message; anyway, even if I don't get any error in this case, no new layers are created and the script seems to have no effect (no generation of graphics).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I created an issue on github for that warning message. It started to appear for me as well recently. It only happens for me on some files though, so not sure what it is about.

Might be a clue that changing windows encoding settings changes the behaviour of that error, but discouraging that it did not work well either way. Could you try to remove the strange non-ASCII characters (search for "cärd" in the CSV and SVG to remove...)? That should make it work I guess, unless the error is something unrelated.

I will try to experiment in Swedish Windows 10 and see if I can see something similar there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Preda
Italy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Concordia fanMicrobadge: Lorenzo il Magnifico fanMicrobadge: I print my own components.
A note, this is how I see the "icärd" text inside Excel: ic�ï

After replacing all the special characters, I was able to get rid of the errors; I now have only the known WARNING message and the generation is partially working.

I say partially because:

* the icons in the text like {g4274.png} are not replaced (the png file is in the same folder of both svg and csv), I see the original text "{g4274.png}" instead of the image in the generated cards

* the marked text (e.g. bold) does not work, I see in the generated card the original *text* instead of having text

* the import of the text from files is working fine but in the case of the marked text, such text is showing as normal text

Any hint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is an option to parse markup or not called Text Markup, on the first tab of the effect dialog. Maybe you accidentally disabled that? (It is enabled by default.)

Strange that Excel can not read the file properly. I wonder if it tries to read UTF-8 as UTF-16? I really hate character encodings. Last time I checked you could configure in Excel when you import a CSV file what encoding to use. Maybe if there is a setting there set to something that is not UTF-8 and you change it to UTF-8 it will work? On the other hand not using strange characters is often a valid solution as well to not have to fight every application to tell it how to read files (but I have no idea why some applications in 2019 still insists on not defaulting to UTF-8 for everything; makes everything so much more difficult).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪♪ These are a few of my favorite things ♪♪
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Aeon's End fanMicrobadge: I painted my gears!Microbadge: Beauty is in the eye of the beholderMicrobadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loop
pelni wrote:
There is an option to parse markup or not called Text Markup, on the first tab of the effect dialog. Maybe you accidentally disabled that? (It is enabled by default.)

Strange that Excel can not read the file properly. I wonder if it tries to read UTF-8 as UTF-16? I really hate character encodings. Last time I checked you could configure in Excel when you import a CSV file what encoding to use. Maybe if there is a setting there set to something that is not UTF-8 and you change it to UTF-8 it will work? On the other hand not using strange characters is often a valid solution as well to not have to fight every application to tell it how to read files (but I have no idea why some applications in 2019 still insists on not defaulting to UTF-8 for everything; makes everything so much more difficult).
Pretty sure that the reason there are still applications that don't default to UTF-8 is that there are still a lot of people that hate character encodings... and those of us in the U.S. don't really need any non-ASCII characters. Plain ASCII has the advantage that every byte is a single character, with no exceptions and no need to preserve any kind of state while parsing text.

I love character encodings... enough that I own at least three different versions of the hardcopy Unicode standard. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I have any ideas for how to solve this, but I'm afraid it sounds like something that's going to be extremely tough to figure out without direct access to a system that's showing the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Preda
Italy
flag msg tools
pelni wrote:

About the markup issue you were right, the option was disabled, I didn't notice the option: thanks!

So the only issue that I have is with some characters, otherwise the script is running fine.

A curiosity, how do you usually export/print the each generated layer? Are you using other plugins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khepri84 wrote:
pelni wrote:

About the markup issue you were right, the option was disabled, I didn't notice the option: thanks!

So the only issue that I have is with some characters, otherwise the script is running fine.

A curiosity, how do you usually export/print the each generated layer? Are you using other plugins?

There is built-in PDF export you can enable in one of the dialog tabs. Thst has worked well enough for mw. You can also turn on PNG export for entire sheets or individual counters.

https://github.com/lifelike/countersheetsextension/wiki/PDF-...

https://github.com/lifelike/countersheetsextension/wiki/PNG-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think I was able to fix the problem in a quick and dirty solution. I followed a stack overflow suggestion and switched the encoding from utf-8 to latin-1 in line 910 of the python script.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5552555/unicodedecodeerr...

From gallery of Critter93

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Critter93 wrote:
I think I was able to fix the problem in a quick and dirty solution. I followed a stack overflow suggestion and switched the encoding from utf-8 to latin-1 in line 910 of the python script.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5552555/unicodedecodeerr...

From gallery of Critter93
Great that you solved it, but it sounds like your file does not have the correct encoding. A more permanent solution would be to make sure that the files used are all utf-8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Don't Tread On MeMicrobadge: Interstellar fanMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: LoveMicrobadge: BoardGameGeek with gray hair
This thread should be pinned in the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Registration marks can now be added on both sides. This feature was never added because I never needed it (and no one asked for it), but I realised I missed it when I printed some double-sided cards last weekend. When cutting out the fronts and backs of cards separately to place in card-sleeves it is very useful to have some guides for cutting the backs... I would not recommend enabling this option in any other cases though, as you are only going to be cutting from one side when the sides have been glued together.

(This is in the master version on github and will be in the next release.)

Example output with registration marks on front only:

External image

External image

Example output with registration marks on both sides:

External image

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Version 2.2pre7 with the new registration marks option mentioned above as well as some new bug-fixes since pre6:

https://github.com/lifelike/countersheetsextension/releases/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edwards
United Kingdom
Melrose
Please Select State
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Holland '44Microbadge: TSS FanMicrobadge: Copper File Uploader
reg marks are very useful, i like to have the 'intrude' into the counter with small + at each corner (on one side, usually back), can I do this if I move the layer on top, or is the reg a full line? [haven't downloaded the version yet] - thanks again for update

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jzedward wrote:
reg marks are very useful, i like to have the 'intrude' into the counter with small + at each corner (on one side, usually back), can I do this if I move the layer on top, or is the reg a full line? [haven't downloaded the version yet] - thanks again for update
Currently they are either "full" lines or they are lines of configurable length outside of the are you want to cut. I by far prefer the latter. It should be reasonably easy to add crosses as well as yet another setting. I can add that to my TODO-list.

EDIT: Already had it listed for version 2.x. Not sure yet if that means it will be in 2.3 or sometime later. Top priority right now is to add more documentation and make it run with Inkscape 1.0 before that is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blanton
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: RetailerMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Cici charity auction participant, May 2009Microbadge: North Carolina State UniversityMicrobadge: Multiman Publishing fan
Hello,

First thanks again for this great tool. I've used it the last couple of years while making counters for my first game design. Working on another and have run into something I can't figure out.

I have 3/4" and 5/8" counters that I am trying to make. I have setup the templates and can create them with my file. Right now, I can only get 1 size counter on a sheet/page. Is there a way to specify different size counter on the same sheet/page? I've gone over the wiki and can't seem to make anything work. Thanks! - Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheGamersArmory wrote:
Hello,

First thanks again for this great tool. I've used it the last couple of years while making counters for my first game design. Working on another and have run into something I can't figure out.

I have 3/4" and 5/8" counters that I am trying to make. I have setup the templates and can create them with my file. Right now, I can only get 1 size counter on a sheet/page. Is there a way to specify different size counter on the same sheet/page? I've gone over the wiki and can't seem to make anything work. Thanks! - Scott
Hi! I thought there was a wiki-page describing how to use different templates in the same CSV, but seems like there is none?

Combining sizes should work. I think it probably makes most sense to split them up into different sheets or different boxes (https://github.com/lifelike/countersheetsextension/wiki/cs_l...) to make them easier to cut out (I print'n'played Car Wars a few years ago and learned how annoying it was to cut out sheets of counters of different sizes) but I do not think the countersheetsextension will complain (the registration marks will be pretty useless though).

There are some included examples that use multiple templates in the same file. I do not think there is any example of having templates with different sizes though (there should be!).

The most extreme example is the file showing all the prototype card templates (https://github.com/lifelike/countersheetsextension/blob/mast...). Each template has its own header row. Just make sure there is a blank row before it.

I hope that helped! Otherwise I have to experiment a bit and add that missing example.

Bonus tip: To break the different size counters up in different boxes or sheets without having to manually adjust the number of counters all the time you can use one of the following:

https://github.com/lifelike/countersheetsextension/wiki/ENDB...

https://github.com/lifelike/countersheetsextension/wiki/Fill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blanton
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: RetailerMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Cici charity auction participant, May 2009Microbadge: North Carolina State UniversityMicrobadge: Multiman Publishing fan
Pelle,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been using cs_layout and ENDBOX and they work great. I've been using templates to make NATO style counters, but did not realize that I could do that with a blank line in the CSV file.

I copied all the templates into the same file and had to make sure that all the elements had a different name. Once I did that, it worked just fine. I have 5/8" and 3/4" counters in the same file and on the same sheet. That will save me time and materials when mounting the counters.

Thanks! - Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I posted a new card template that is more like a template for templates, empty_poker_cards_3x3.svg (and cards_3x3.csv). Just an empty poker/magic sized card and cs_layout for 3x3 cards centered on an A4 (pretty sure it will print at 100% on letter as well). So a starting point for making card templates or (what I did) just to print an empty grid to cut out to use for pencil-prototyping.

(In master version if you want to download. Not included in a release yet.)

PDF exports of empty 3x3 sheets:

3x3 3.5x2.5in cards w/full lines
3x3 3.5x2.5in cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkmabat 32
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Pelle, thank you for you hard work! This looks like a useful tool to me. Do you have any idea why I would be getting the error:

"Unable to find rectangle with id 'card' that was specified in the CSV data file."

...when trying to use the card template csv? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Panzer Grenadier fan - Member of PG-HQMicrobadge: I play armored combat gamesMicrobadge: Panzer Grenadier fan
arkmabat wrote:
... Do you have any idea why I would be getting the error:
"Unable to find rectangle with id 'card' that was specified in the CSV data file."
I have a couple suggestions, since I have messed stuff this stuff up before.

1) Check the ID for the "card" rectangle. Copying the original will give the copy a new ID.
2) Make sure the rectangle and the stuff with it is 1 group of 1 object. This usually means make the group, so you have a group of the rectangle and 2 or more objects, then group it again. It will say group of 1 object, type group.
3) When copying a template to a new drawing, make a new rectangle, align it with the copied one, delete the copied one, change the ID on the new one, then do the grouping process.

I fix a lot of my problems those ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
plloyd1010 wrote:
arkmabat wrote:
... Do you have any idea why I would be getting the error:

1) Check the ID for the "card" rectangle. Copying the original will give the copy a new ID.
2) Make sure the rectangle and the stuff with it is 1 group of 1 object. This usually means make the group, so you have a group of the rectangle and 2 or more objects, then group it again. It will say group of 1 object, type group.
3) When copying a template to a new drawing, make a new rectangle, align it with the copied one, delete the copied one, change the ID on the new one, then do the grouping process.

This sounds as if it might be something you did to work around an old bug or something? A template needs only a rectangle in a group. Not two groups, so no "group it again". It should not hurt to add it inside multiple groups, but that is definitely not I do.

For the original issue, more information would be required to help (sorry about this late response! I vaguely remember reading this when on my phone and then forgot to look into it...). But what the error says is pretty clear that there is no template with the name card (i.e. there is no rectangle with id "card" that is in a group in the current open SVG document).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I just tagged the current version as 2.2.

Download is here: https://github.com/lifelike/countersheetsextension/releases/...

Changes since 2.1:

- New option to also put registration marks on the back.

- New option to offset backs.

- New option for spacing between counters.

- Empty value for clone removes it from the generated counter.

- Empty value for image removes image from generated counter.

- Styled text has predictable ids to make it possible to add extra style easily from spreadsheet.

- Dialog options split into multiple tabs.

- Many new templates for cards, counters, markers, standees included.

- Added and improved documentation, with illustrations added to several pages that had none.

- Many major and minor bugfixes.

This is likely to be the last version (possibly except for some minor bugfixes) that supports Inkscape pre-1.0. Inkscape 1.0 is currently in beta and could be out any day. It has a rewritten extensions API meaning that version 2.2 of the countersheetsextension does not support Inkscape 1.0 or later. Of course also if you are still using any older version of the extension it will stop working if/when you upgrade to Inkscape 1.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Panzer Grenadier fan - Member of PG-HQMicrobadge: I play armored combat gamesMicrobadge: Panzer Grenadier fan
pelni wrote:
plloyd1010 wrote:

This sounds as if it might be something you did to work around an old bug or something? A template needs only a rectangle in a group. Not two groups, so no "group it again". It should not hurt to add it inside multiple groups, but that is definitely not I do.
It is a work around, and it is a bug, but I don't think it's yours. Probably more about how Inkscape copies and imports objects in new drawings.

I start with a template drawing. All the ID's are set, base rectangle for the whole thing. So long as I stay in the template drawing, no problems.

I create new drawing for the countersheet. I import or copy the template in. Move the template outside the page or square (actually I usually just paste it there). Fix the suffixes that Inkscape adds to copy IDs. Break-up the template into its components, make sure each has a rectangle (usually background, foreground graphics and info). Group down to 1 group of 1 object. Run the extension with my csv file. Lots of nice counters with the layers all aligned in different places.

If I draw new rectangles, in the same place as the copied ones, delete the old ones, give the new ones the same names, regroup stuff, everything works. I don't know why. I think we've discussed this before. I think it is something fundamental to Inkscape, because your script seems to be doing what it is supposed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  19 , 20 , 21 , 22 , 23  |