Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
587 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [24] | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Inkscape Extensions for Boardgame Development rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Inkscape [+] diy [+] gamedesign [+] game-design [+] graphics_programs [+] [View All]
Re: Inkscape Extensions for Boardgame Developlemt
cosimus2000 wrote:
It would be cool, if we could change more than one parameter from an object (e.g.: 2. 3. 4. .... Parameter started with "SUB"), it would be also nice, if it is possible to define a default value of the parameter, which is used when te cell is empty.
Default values would be very useful.

I had a quick look at the code and remembered that just after uploading 1.4 I started a big rewrite. Given that nothing important broke it should be much easier to add things like default values now or any other special header types now.

Not sure I understand the SUB part. Would it not not be better without having to add a special string ("move[...],move[...]"...)? Not sure that works now, but I think it should work.

Other things I thought of is a way to say "this value should be the same as the value in column C on this row" and "this value should be the same as the value in the row above".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Haas
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Land SurveyorMicrobadge: FrankenMicrobadge: Azure Wish Enterprise fanMicrobadge: Alternate History fanMicrobadge: Carl Friedrich Gauss fan
"SUB"-Part:
I have a TextField "Move" with text=4 (color = white, font = VeraSerif
I want a "move"textfield in the counters which could be 5 or 6 if it is a "arm"unit ("arm" movement is in "color3" to show the extra heavy equipment and the "arial"font shows, that the "arm"unit is an SS-unit. The "move"textfield could be 5-7 if it is a "mech"unit ("mech" movement is in "color5" to show the heavy equipment)
Default Values are "4", "color2", "VeraSerif" and if I want a SS-arm unit, I have to change 3 parameters from the textfield at the same time (1xdata(text) and 2x layout-parameters). If it works with 1.4 I have done something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have uploaded (experimental!) version 1.4.3 with the following changes:

- Default values in headers are now possible, using the syntax attribute=defaultvalue (see small example below).

- There were several problems with the style replace thing that has been fixed. Not sure if this also solves the problem Norbert had with replacing several styles?

- The countersheet effect was almost completely rewritten (not tonight; most of it was done in early June, I just never got around to upload it). Expect things to be broken.

From gallery of pelni

From gallery of pelni

EDIT: The download is as always here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
By the way, if you look at that countersheet image, and also one of the other examples I posted here a bit up on page 3 of this thread, you will notice that the diagonal lines look extremely bad. They don't really look like that. Something bad happened to the images when I uploaded them to bgg and/or when I scaled them down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilcox
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Inkscape userMicrobadge: Linux userMicrobadge: Vim userMicrobadge: I obey copyleftMicrobadge: Anarchist
Here's a trick I've been using in my latest development.
In this situation I wanted to impose the value from the front of a card to the back of the card, easy right? Just use the ">" annotation and the value will be transfered, however I wanted the back of the card to differ in illustration. This is the countersheet I ended up with:
From gallery of Erulisse

These are the resulting images:
Front:
From gallery of Erulisse

Back:
From gallery of Erulisse

The trick is this: the multi select tool is still able to ignore text after "-" so the mice in the "card" group have object id's "mouse-1", "mouse-2" and so on and the mice located in the "cardback" group have the id's "mouse-1-x" and "mouse-2-x"

The multi-select tool can be used to get very complex results!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for sharing Daniel! Nice trick. Those mice are very cute... but maybe a bit disturbing as well... wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Haas
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Land SurveyorMicrobadge: FrankenMicrobadge: Azure Wish Enterprise fanMicrobadge: Alternate History fanMicrobadge: Carl Friedrich Gauss fan
I have still some problems to change more than one Value from an objekt.

have a look at the example:

External image

External image

External image

?????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilcox
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Inkscape userMicrobadge: Linux userMicrobadge: Vim userMicrobadge: I obey copyleftMicrobadge: Anarchist
pelni wrote:
Thanks for sharing Daniel! Nice trick. Those mice are very cute... but maybe a bit disturbing as well... wow
Yes the mice are quite disturbing There will be a bloodless version as well (not everyone wants their 5 year old exposed to graphic violence )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inkscape 0.47 was released yesterday!

That is probably good news in general, I just hope it will work with these extensions, or at least work without too many changes.

Nice and long changelog anyway:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes047
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilcox
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Everything seems to be working fine for me. I've been using the .47pre build for quite some time. No bugs to report here. The .47 build of inkscape is a substantial upgrade from .46 by the way. Everyone go and download it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm so happy to hear that Daniel.

I was a bit worried about the entry in the release notes describing how the effect INX files now have a namespace and so on, but I guess they thought of making the change backwards compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dorfman
United States
Fort Atkinson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Constantly thinking about game designMicrobadge: plusMicrobadge: Statistics fanMicrobadge: ... versus ...Microbadge: Perfectionist
Fabpat wrote:
Hi!

Sorry to bother with a maybe dumb question... but... how do you install the extension on a mac computer? I had no problem in installing inkscape and the required X11, but no way... I can't understand how to let the software "see" the boardgame extension package... sigh...

Can someone help me? :-P

Thanks!

Fabio
I know my reply is 9 months old, but I just discovered this thread and was able to install these extensions on my Mac. Here's how: The Extensions folder is inside the application bundle. To get to it follow these steps:
1. Right-click (a.k.a. control-click) on the Inkscape application and choose "Show Package Contents"
2. in the window that opens, double-click "Contents"
3. in the window that opens, double-click "Resources"
4. in the window that opens, double-click "extensions"

Now that you have that extension folder open, copy all .inx and all .py files into it. Now when you open Inkscape, you'll see a Boardgames submenu in the Extension menu.

If those instructions confuse you, here's another way to open the extension folder: open Terminal and paste this line and hit enter:
open /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Join us every Tuesday night at the Woking Gaming Club!
badge
Interested in knowing in which games I'm working at the moment? Send me a geekmail to discover!
Microbadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Rolling Stock fan - game end cardMicrobadge: Talon fanMicrobadge: Kalua fanMicrobadge: Woking Gaming Club member
Hi guys, I finally got my 56 card game prototype using this technology and now I want to print it and play.
The problem is that I have an A4 page with 56 cards overlapping one another. How do you solve this?

Do I need to break the whole game into small csv files and treat them independently or is there any trick you can do like some kind of multi-page option on Inkscape that will allow me to print all 56 cards but in separate pages, let's say 10 per page or so.

Also, how do you do to resize the SVG when printing so they are exactly the size of standard gaming cards?

Thank you so much guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Interested in knowing in which games I'm working at the moment? Send me a geekmail to discover!
Microbadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Rolling Stock fan - game end cardMicrobadge: Talon fanMicrobadge: Kalua fanMicrobadge: Woking Gaming Club member
I've solved the size issue. It was easier than expected, just select the patron object and change the size in millimetres in one of the bars.

I'm still looking on how to split them in different pages without having to have various csv files and svg files.

9 cards per page is what I can fit (just for info!).

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Each layer wlil fill up and then a new layer is created, which is probably what you mean by overlapping images. If you want fewer cards per page, the simplest way is to just decrease the page size until you get 9 cards per page.

There is an option when running the effect to generate PNG images for each sheet (back+front). I'm not sure that works on all platforms, but if it does it is exactly what you need.

Otherwise just display one layer at a time and print it or export to a bitmap. The layer dialog (ctrl+shift+L) makes this rather easy.

For advanced users, Inkscape can be run from the command-line with flags to export subsets of drawings. If you save the generated drawing you can run inkscape from a command shell to quickly export each layer (each has a unique group id like "cs_layer_1" or similar) to an individual drawing (svg or png) and then print those. If you have many sheets to print it would be rather easy to script that (a BAT file in Windows or some kind of shell script in Linux or MacOS).

Here is an example command-line for exporting (it can also be used to export individual cards):

inkscape --export-png sheet-1.png --export-dpi=300 --export-id=cs_layer_1 --export-id-only mygeneratedcards.svg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thank you so much for the answer. In the end I separated the cards in different svg files, but now I will try the png export option.

Inkscape is so very powerful!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Unix programmerMicrobadge: Silicone Muffin Cup ForeverMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fanMicrobadge: Eurogamer
For first, I have to thank for this great tool !

I have two problems; maybe these are not yet implemented.

1. I can not refer to a color which is set in the .csv. For example

------- very stripped csv BEGIN -------
BO[style:fill],CC[style:fill]
#009100, < BO
------- very stripped csv END -------

will not work. (there is no space between < and BO)

2. I can not set the color of a text.

N[style:fill]

(where N refers to a text object) is not working. Tried with reference color ( < ), too.

Can I request these features ? Is 2GG enough inspiration whistle ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'll have a look tonight. One thought about the first problem is that the color reference will pick the color from the SVG, not the color you set BO to in the other column. There might be some other problem as well. For instance I believe only rectangles will be searched for matching id.

The intended normal use case is that you create some rectangles in the document and then you can use the Inkscape fill dialog to select nice colors for those rectangles and use as a palette to pick colors from in the CSV file.

GG is always nice, but the best inspiration is to see or read about projects using the extensions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Unix programmerMicrobadge: Silicone Muffin Cup ForeverMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fanMicrobadge: Eurogamer
OK, I can live without referencing a color defined in the csv, but it would be nice to have a possibility to re-color a letter.

However, when I missed one step and left a

N[style:fill]
< FOO

where N is an id for a letter object, and FOO was deleted meantime, the python code "said" FOO was not found; so, the code reads that cell, tries to resolve, just does not use it. Maybe that helps to modify it. Again, there is no space between < and FOO, but if I write it that way, the forum engine "eats" most of the post.

Sorry, I am not speaking python (but I am a unix engineer, so if I can help using any debug-heavy version with sending back some logs to you, just contact me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Eveninger
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Pele - i got some problem.
I've just download newest inkscape (4.7 portable) nad 1.0 version of your plugins and it don't work.
Look at the folder tree (red color on image) - i've myself made two folders "extensions" in two different places with files of your plugins but no effect (no additional options in "effect" menu).

External image

Can you help me somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
bryczqa wrote:
I've just download newest inkscape (4.7 portable) nad 1.0 version of your plugins and it don't work.
Look at the folder tree (red color on image) - i've myself made two folders "extensions" in two different places with files of your plugins but no effect (no additional options in "effect" menu).
If I see it right, on windows the extension are in "c:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\extensions". Have a look in your share/extensions directory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bithalver, there is no more debug heavy version. You can probably figure out how to add more debugging if you want to find something. You would probably have no problem with Python if you had a look.

Is this with the latest experimental version or the old 1.0? I know I have used the latest version recently to color text. Hm. But actually I think I hardcoded black and white in the CSV rather than using colors by references. I'll try that. FOO is a rectangle, right? Again only rectangles can be referenced. That should probably be changed sometime. For instance it could be useful to be able to copy attributes other than color, and a text object typically has many attributes (or style values) that are not set on rectangles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't know what version 4.7 portable is or what platform that is, but I agree with bithalver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I tested a very small example with text color by reference and found no errors (using latest experimental version).

Created a tiny SVG with a green rectangle (id=FOO) and a group containing a rectangle (id=T) and some black text (id=N). The CSV created looks like this:

T,N[style:fill]
1,< FOO

(And yes, I also had to add a space before FOO to make bgg happy.)

EDIT: You can have a look at the files here and here.

EDIT2: Forgot to say that it worked. Result was green text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Eveninger
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
bithalver wrote:
bryczqa wrote:
If I see it right, on windows the extension are in "c:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\extensions". Have a look in your share/extensions directory.
It is on windows XP and Bithalver you have right - and extensions now work. Thanks a lot, somehow i didn't noticed it before.

Few tips for Pelni:
add milimeters (not only inches) - easier to manipulate and fit onto known paper formats (like a4)
add possibility to remove dots from center of hexes
add possibility to turn off coordinates in hexes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [24] |