Subject: Gaming stores in Anaheim/LA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Pearse
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am going to be on holiday in Anaheim for around three weeks at the end of the month and was wondering where I could get my gaming fix! Which stores are best (any instructions/directions would also be much appreciated!). I play Warmachine so if there are any tournaments in the area news of them would also be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brookhurst Hobbies is not too far from there:

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gollum9 wrote:
Hi all,

I am going to be on holiday in Anaheim for around three weeks at the end of the month and was wondering where I could get my gaming fix! Which stores are best (any instructions/directions would also be much appreciated!). I play Warmachine so if there are any tournaments in the area news of them would also be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Adam

Brookhurst Hobbies is your best bet near Anaheim. I haven't been there in years, but the store is pretty good sized. It's in Garden Grove at 12188 Brookhurst St.

www.brookhursthobbies.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bas Luyten (BaSL) will eventually link his thread to yours, directing you to his ongoing list of requests for stores in different regions of the U.S.

It's not a list of stores, but rather a list of other threads asking for info on stores in specific areas. If you're willing to take the time to check over the mass of links there, you'll find some references to several stores in the Southern California area.

I'll agree with the other posters, Brookhurst would be your best bet in the Anaheim area. The only other significant game store that I knew of in the area just recently closed its doors in December.

Also, visit www.socalgamers.info for a site devoted to the Southern California gaming scene. Lists of stores and area events can be found there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Gill
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Gameology is in Claremont which is roughly an hour north east of Anaheim. It is a great store and has game events happening almost every day of the week: http://www.gameologyshop.com/

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After you're finished shopping at Brookhurst Hobbies, travel a further 18 miles west to check out The War House in Long Beach. They're one of the few remaining "old school" type of American game shops (and if you're at all into RPGs, they have a pretty impressive selection (and a back room filled with deeply discounted, out-of-print items).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Bas Luyten (BaSL) will eventually link his thread to yours, directing you to his ongoing list of requests for stores in different regions of the U.S.

It's not a list of stores, but rather a list of other threads asking for info on stores in specific areas. If you're willing to take the time to check over the mass of links there, you'll find some references to several stores in the Southern California area.

Indeed! Got a new list now, sorted by US States:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War House, mentioned above, is quite easy to get to by freeway from Anaheim, take the freeway of your choice to I-710, then 710 South, get off on the Willow Street exit, head east and War House is on the right after a few blocks, just before a Bank of America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, Game Castle (which was right in Anaheim) is gone now. Brookhurst is likely your best bet. There is another store in Brea (just up the freeway a bit) called The Realm.

Only Gameology has Warmachine regularly, although you might also check Game Empire in Pasadena (www.gameempirepasadena.com), even though that is a bit of a trek. Both of those stores can be under an hour drive if you plan around LA traffic (which, admittedly, is increasingly difficult to plan around - but at least you aren't going to the West side).

Can I assume that Anaheim means a visit to Disneyland? If so, let me know if you want any suggestions. I know the theme parks pretty well, too.

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pearse
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice - so much so quickly!!

@ ER Burgess: No, not going to Disney. I am a huge american sports fan so trying to fit in as many games as possible! Cheers anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I didn't drive all the way down here to play a peace game
United States
Ogre Kingdoms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, Brookhurst and War House are not too far from Anaheim and worth a look. They're a hellacious drive for me, but I've been down to both a couple of times to dig into their impressive inventories of WWII scale naval miniatures. Brookhurst in particular is really big and carries a bit of everything. I seem to recall they had a couple of game tables in the back, but not a whole lot of play area.

Game Empire in Pasadena is more of a drive for you, but worth it if you want to actually play some games. They have a huge open play area (at least 8 or so large tables) and run organized play in all popular systems. Call ahead for Warmachine schedule. They have a reasonable inventory of euros also, and you will almost certainly find some fellow BGGers there on Wednesday nights or Sundays. Truly a gamer's game store.

Not that far down the freeway from Game Empire is The Last Grenadier in Burbank, a fun stop for game shopping. There's not much gaming space, but their shelves are jam-packed with a large inventory of euros, both current and out-of-print hex & chit wargames, various scales of modern and Napoleonic military minis and terrain pieces, military history books, bins of dice, and lots of RPG stuff, too. I don't think they stock much in the way of Warmachine any more, so don't expect to see that.

An hour or two of shopping at The Gren followed by a visit to Game Empire to get your Warmachine on would be a very nice day. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls