David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to determine the best place to pick up the Euro-type games.

So far :
Go! Game Store in the Lehigh Valley Mall (usually MSRP until January when all games are 25% to 50% off)
Hobby Town in the Lehigh Valley Mall (best selection but full MSRP)
Barnes and Noble (full MSRP until February sales on select items...this year's best game at 50-75% off was Arkadia)

If you can hold your $ until after the holidays there ususally are some deals to be had right here in the Lehigh Valley (and NO shipping!)

Is there anywhere else that I left out?

Thanks for your help on this!

P.S. - If you do go to the Go! Games store in the Lehigh Valley mall be sure to ASK for any game that you would like if you do not see it. The owner is trying to make a case to his distibutor that he could sell more if they let him expand his stock. They will not order it, BUT they are tracking all the requests that come in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Pennington
NJ
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
The GO! Game Store is taking steps backward from what I can see. They had a decent selection of euro-type games until recently. Now they have very little. If you're telling us that they won't even order games and are only tracking them that's not good news.

The toy store on main street in Bethlehem (next to the Bethlehem Brew Works) carries some euro-type games. I wouldn't call the inventory extensive, but they seem to be willing to order games.

The Portal (2005 Willow Park Road, Bethlehem) has a smallish selection of euro-type games (and others).

Along with the others you mentioned, these are everything strictly local that I'm aware of.

If you're willing to drive there's quite a lot more. Lancaster, King of Prussia and Abington all have excellent game stores. Maybe too far to go just to buy a game, but if you're already in the area there are stores worth visiting. Apparantly West Chester also has a good game store, but I've never gotten to that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete Walsh wrote:
The GO! Game Store is taking steps backward from what I can see. They had a decent selection of euro-type games until recently. Now they have very little. If you're telling us that they won't even order games and are only tracking them that's not good news.

Agreed, they have cut back tremendously. The same owner also had a store in the Promenade Shops in Center Valley, but that was closed when they had their rent tripled! I talked to the owner back when that happened and again this weekend asking him why his eurostyle game selection was so small. He told me he REALLY wanted to carry them and needs to make a case to his franchise distributor that there is demand for these games.

Thanks again for your input. I assume the toy store in Bethlehem and the Portal are pretty much MSRP with limited sales as you did not mention that.

I do get to Lancaster from time to time. You can geekmail me any further info on that if you care to.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob VanBlargan
United States
Northampton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of friends run Test Drive Games, which has a small selection of games. They host a monthly games night in Catasauqua at Yorky's Front Street Cafe. The next one is 3/18. Check out the events page on their website, http://testdrivegames.com/. My sons and I try to get there as often as we can.

Also in downtown Easton, Phantom of the Attic, recently relocated there from the 25th St shopping center. I haven't been to the new store, but I know they had games and they were displaying Axis and Allies in the window.

Hope that helps. If you do go to Yorky's, stop by and say hi.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can not help you too much with this one as you pretty much mentioned the ones that I hit when I am in the area.The Go games store in the mall is the one that I have purchased from already but everything is full msrp which makes the prices a bit steep.Occasionly they will have stuff for 50% off or even 75% which is a pretty good deal.I also scored a copy of the hasbro acquire there after it was out of print so the 45 dollar msrp did not seem too high since it was going for 80 bucks on ebay at the time.I have not been there recently though but my mom stops in there more than me and she said when she was in there recently they did not have as many games as they did before and she wondered if they were closing up.I also got stuff from hobbytown already(like the old edition of seafarers recently so it would match my settlers tiles) but their prices are full msrp as well and i do not ever remember any games being on sale there when ever I stopped in.Borders bookstore by the whitehall mall next to tweeters carries some games as well but also at full msrp.Last time I was in there they did have some stuff at 50% off like the pirates of the carribean liars dice but that was awhile ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kuhn
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for telling me about this post....

Actually I buy all my games online and have them shipped. My primary source is Thought Hammer. I have had very good luck with them. In fact, until you posted I did not even know there was any game stores in the LV area worth visiting. Understand I come from the time when there was a franchise called Strategy and Fantasy World back in the 80's. Lots of neat games you could not find anywhere else. Now understand there were no "Euro games" then but they had a great selection of War/Adventure/RPG games that you could not find at "Kiddie City" (an older version of Toys R Us). I kinda thought brick and mortar game stores died off with just a few select ones left....

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get to Lancaster, I would visit Six Feet Under games. They have a pretty good selection of games in stock, and even have some used/OOP games.

They are in New Holland. www.sixfeetundergames.com

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:

Thanks for adding this link to your database!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jachimowicz
United States
Millersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have hit all the locations previously mentioned in the Lehigh Valley and surrounds. I do buy most of my games online because, as Joe mentions, most fo the stores are full MSRP and sometimes more! When I lived in New England, I had a local shop that would give me 20% off on any special order I made with them. I was willing to take that deal if only to support my FLGS.

If you want to remain "local" on-line, consider purchasing from Game Surplus (http://www.gamesurplus.com/site/index.cfm). It is a family run operation out of Lititz, PA.

I attended a few of the Test Drive Game (http://www.testdrivegames.com/)events when they were in Whitehall. It was great to have a ready-made group to try out games with, but most of the games they were trying out I either already had or had no interest in. In some cases (at that time) only one demo of a particular game could be run at any one time, so if you didn't get there at the right time, you might have missed out on playing the one game you were really interested in. Prices were still comperable to MSRP, but they did appeal to my impulse buying habit!

Chris J.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freakin' Ed
United States
Saylorsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, I'll contribute what I can, and thanks for asking and initiating this list.

Most of the stores that I know about in the area have already been mentioned but I can think of two other slim possibilities.

The Encounter, located on Union Blvd. in Allentown, just a few blocks west of Bethlehem. It's been a little while since I was there so I'm not sure what they might have on their shelves now; but in addition to the typical comic book shop fare, comic books, RPG's, CCG's and Warhammer, they did carry a small selection of boardgames. Pretty much MSRP.

Dreamscape Comics, if it's still around, is on W. Broad St. in Bethlehem. I think it's at the corner of Broad and Second. Again, they carried mostly RPG's, CCG's and comics, but I do recall them having some wargames. Now, I haven't been in the store in a couple years so I don't know if their selection is better or worse than it was back then. It might be worth a look though. MSRP.

Pete Walsh wrote:
The Portal (2005 Willow Park Road, Bethlehem) has a smallish selection of euro-type games (and others).
Considering I only live a few blocks away, this is the FLGS that I frequent the most. Their selection of boardgames isn't huge but considering the store isn't all that big, there selection isn't too shabby either. I don't know if they'd order any games or not (I've never asked) but I've had only good experiences with the staff. As a matter of fact, my mom walked in there a couple Christmases ago, not really knowing what game to purchase for me, and the girl working at the time was very helpful with my mom's purchasing decision. I acquired a new copy of Arkham Horror for Christmas that year.
A small bonus for The Portal is their "Portal Card". It's a card that gives a 5% discount on all purchases and a 10% discount at Angelo's Pizza across the street. I think The Portal may actually rent their space from the pizza shop owner.

toomanyminis wrote:
If you want to remain "local" on-line, consider purchasing from Game Surplus (http://www.gamesurplus.com/site/index.cfm). It is a family run operation out of Lititz, PA.
I'll second this. I've ordered from them in the past and would definitely order from them again.
Hope this helps, Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freakin' Ed
United States
Saylorsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob,
I don't get to Easton too often but I have been to Phantom of the Attic a time or two. So, where have they move to now?
Thanx, Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get down to the King of Prussia area check out The Compleat Strategist. They have an excellent selection of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all who posted information.

Others are welcome to add and when things change as they always do, please update this thread so that we can all benefit.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE!

I spoke to the owner of the Go! Game Store in the Lehigh Valley Mall yesterday. They are relocating to the Promenade Shops in Center Valley in 2 weeks and they will be greatly expanding their selections, including restocking many eurogames.

For now ALL GAMES in stock are 33% off at the Lehigh Valley Mall until they move. This is equivalent to the online prices and of course you don't have to pay shipping!

Good luck!

Tom Zebro reports that as of 4/20 all games are 50% off!

(edited to add the 50% off update)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Lehigh Valley Mall Go! Games Store I picked up Ingenious and Blokus for 50% off for myself and Settlers of Catan and 2 Carcassonnes at 50% off for gifts last week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weevol wrote:
UPDATE!

I spoke to the owner of the Go! Game Store in the Lehigh Valley Mall yesterday. They are relocating to the Promenade Shops in Center Valley in 2 weeks and they will be greatly expanding their selections, including restocking many eurogames.

For now ALL GAMES in stock are 33% off at the Lehigh Valley Mall until they move. This is equivalent to the online prices and of course you don't have to pay shipping!

Good luck!

Tom Zebro reports that as of 4/20 all games are 50% off!

(edited to add the 50% off update)

After a longer than expected hiatus, the Go! Game store is now open at the Promenade Shops in Center Valley, PA. I was there yesterday and they have some mainstream strategy games (Settlers, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Bohnanza, etc.) and several Axis and Allies varieties.

They told me they would be getting a wider selection in some time in July.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go! Games at the Promenade in Center Valley currently has everything in the store at 50% off. I picked up Acquire there for $17 last week. They have several Carcassonne expansions, Puerto Rico, Bohnanza, Diplomacy, Zooloretto, Pillars of the Earth (1 copy left), Ticket to Ride Marklin Edition, many Axis and Allies varieties, Tide of Iron, Killer Bunnies, Munchkin, A House Divided, and more things I can no longer remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freakin' Ed
United States
Saylorsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for the heads up. I've been meaning to stop by and see if they were have this sale this year, but I keep forgetting. This reminder will make sure I get there tonight.

Okay, so I stopped by last night and picked up a copy of Tide of Iron. They only had one copy of Acquire left and no more copies of TtR: Marklin or Pillars of the Earth. All of the other games David mentioned are still there. They also had three Dreamblade starters that were 75% off, as well as all of their D&D books being 75% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
see the hot deals thread for the current selections (as of 6 pm on 1/21)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/374668

I was majorly bummed about Marklin Edition....I went there the day after I posted after getting some good feedback on that version. I was PUMPED!! I wanted to pick up just one of the SEVERAL that were previously there but they were ALL gone!!!! Someone likely bought the whole lot....

Why, oh why did I wait???? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go! Games is now down to 75% off all remaining stock and is closing on SUNDAY. Call 610-798-9514 to check for items in stock...you can't lose on anything at these prices!

As of Friday night they still had :

Ingenious $8.75 (1 left)
Diplomacy $8.75 (2 left)
Risk: Godstorm $12.50 (1 left)
House Divided $11.25 (2 left)
Runebound Second Edition $12.50 (2 left)
Carcassonne: The Discovery $6.25 (1 left)
Duel in the Dark $13.75 (1 left)
Go $6.25 (8 left)
Zooloretto $12.50 (2 left)
Tide of Iron $20 (1 left)
Axis & Allies: Guadalcanal $12.50 (1 left)
Axis & Allies: D-Day $11 (1 left)
Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge $12.50 (1 left)

plus lots of card games and toys and calendars ALL 75% off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dave, are you aware of "The Portal" over in the Easton/Bedlam area? They stock some board games too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weevol wrote:
Go! Games is now down to 75% off all remaining stock and is closing on SUNDAY.
Thanks for the heads-up. I went last Saturday and found some great deals. I spoke to the store owner, who said that he plans to re-open as an independent retailer perhaps as early as this summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie F III
United States
North Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Portal and Encounter is all I know of being left in this area. Am I missing any that are still up and running?

Does anyone know if Test Drive Games still hosts parties?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the Northeast is a bit rough for buying games like this. Most of my purchases are online...I do, however, frequent MEPACON, which is held 2x per year in Clarkes Summit (just north of Scranton). They have 2-3 vendors who attend each year who bring in a wide selection of boardgames. Fantasy Flight Games are heavily represented, but you can find others as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |