Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After many plays of the game, it suddenly occurred to me that a very simple twist could be added, bumping up the tempo a little. SUAMAD allows a player the option of using a combined Army/Muster action die in a split fashion:

- Muster one regular unit, leader or Nazgul, AND

- Move one army, whether or not it has any leaders

- Restriction: the two actions may not affect the same army (so you may not muster a dwarf regular in Erebor and then move the Erebor army to Dale with the same action die).

A few permutations come to mind:

Mutual SUAMAD:

All players can use Army/Muster dice in this fashion.

One-sided SUAMAD:
The more experienced player grants the SUAMAD handicap to the less experienced player while foregoing it him/herself.

Faction-specific SUAMAD:
Give one side the option of split use but not the other. For example, in the Basic Game, this could slightly compensate the Free Peoples for their disadvantaged odds and allow them to use a single action to both defend and advance with a force.

I don't see a lot of drawbacks to this - players now could move a single army more times while slowly mustering a unit here or there. The agonizing question of whether to muster or move gets a little less agonizing. Perhaps a slight drawback is that this flexibility benefits the FP relatively more - all FP army dice are combo army/musters.

Has anyone already tried this? If you have, or do so after reading this post, please share your impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It provides the advantage of flexibility and reduces the "luck of the dice" a bit, and in that it's a good idea.

But since your dice are one of the key resources you'll consume during the game, it reduces the impact of the choices you have to make and therefore removes some of the pressure from the game.

It's interesting and I expect the overall impact would be reasonably low (it's not like the army/muster result is a common roll). But it might reduce how much time at the game table I spend biting my nails, and that would be bad.

Might be worth trying, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
"I love beautiful melodies telling me terrible things."
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea!

But, what is SUAMAD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
But, what is SUAMAD?
An acronym for Split Use Army/Muster Action Die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:

- Muster one regular unit, leader or Nazgul, AND

- Move or attack with one army, whether or not it has any leaders
Seems that the second half of the SUAMAD would have to be move one army only - not with the option of attacking w/one army. Attacking with an army, either by asing an Army or a Character die, uses up the ENTIRE die.

It is an interesting option to use to either a) help balance a game against an inexperienced player, or b) give to FP when playing the game without the expansion.

I don't think this would help the FP more than the SP - both varieties of dice only have one A/M side on them, right? Yeah, I know the SP sometimes has more action dice available after the hunt dice have been removed, but that factor is built into the game already.

Anyway, don't know if I'd ever use it, but it is a pretty cool idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zordren wrote:
Seems that the second half of the SUAMAD would have to be move one army only - not with the option of attacking w/one army. Attacking with an army, either by asing an Army or a Character die, uses up the ENTIRE die.
D'oh! excellent point.

I've edited out the attack option. Thanks for catching that and for the feedback in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Christian Kirketerp
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea as well. I will try it out and tell you what I think afterwards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I thought about this too. The prime benefit would be to the FP, as they seldom have a dire need to move two armies at once - usually there's one important move, and then an also ran move, like Iron Hills -> Erebor.

I don't think it would be a good balance sop to a totally new player. They're already overwhelmed with choices, the help they need is a reduction in options, not more of them!

As a benefit for a player that's played 10 times against a player that's played 30 times, then sure, I think it'd be fine. However, I doubt it would come into play often enough to make a measurable difference in outcomes. It might be another "Dwarf of Erebor" ability that is mostly ornamental.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls