Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
We added a 3-fish tile that has a Killer Whale on the back, and when it is revealed, that player loses the penguin that was on the tile (as well as the 3 fish).

It added a nice extra bit of tension to the game... people tend to shy away from the 3-fish tiles until later in the game, using them in a bid to catch up when they feel they're behind. Before, the 3s went away first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Chan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
sounds quite good.

I will try this next time I play.

My 2 sons (3 and 5) and I really enjoy playing this and I can see them getting quite nervous as they lie right down on the floor to see if anything is under that precious 3 fish tile they are about to claim.

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sounds fun, but if the purpose is to "balance" the 3s then it's unnecessary. Going after the 3s first indiscriminately is actually a poor strategy--positioning is more important. A 1s in a favorable location is better than a 3s in a poor one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so much the purpose as an observation. The purpose was simply to add in an extra level of tension to the game, and it's been a lot of fun for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great idea! I'm now looking for a cartoonish Killer Whale sticker to make my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
Sounds like a great idea! I'm now looking for a cartoonish Killer Whale sticker to make my own.

Here you go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael zalter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great idea!
Our group came up with an almost identical idea yesterday that I was going to post today. I wanted to check first to see if someone else had thought of it, and lo and behold yes. The only difference in our idea was to use a polar bear instead. Of course that doesn't make as much sense as a killer whale since the bears live in the arctic and penguins live in Antarctica. We thought of adding this 'bear' sticker to each of a 1,2,3 fish tile to add a bit of tension and risk. But I think we will modify this idea and put a killer whale sticker on a '3 fishes' tile, a seal on a '2 fishes' tile and a polar bear on a '1 fish' tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls