David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am proud of my profile. I enjoy keeping it up to date.

In my profile I have many sections, but one I've been asked numerous times how I did it, so I thought I'd share.

This is how to get the BGG widget in you profile.

1) Go to your profile and click the link "BoardGame Web Widget" (its on the top third of the page when you click your profile.
2) Put in your criteria for what you want... I use ten last played games (so Recently Played and # of items 10)
3) For Text put "no text"
4) I use small thumbnail... b/c of space
5) Image position "left"
6) No Header and No items w/ images
7) Yes to "Display in line"
8) Yest to "Display as image" (to check what you want)

Now's the trick part... copy and paste all the html into your profile... or word document (somewhere where you can figet with the code).

Find in the code where it begins "http://www.boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?"

Delete everything before that (including the ' right before the http)

Then find "...&inline=1&imagewidget=1" (the numbers might be different but you get the jist) delete everthing after the 1 (once again including the ' )

bracket it with [img} for the beginning and [/img} at the end... (replace the }'s with ]'s ... they don't show up.

That is the basic code... put it anywhere on the Geek (in your profile) and you'll have it:

Recently played Games:

(I put one space in between the Recently Played Games: Title and the pic for spacing)

This is the text I bracket, feel free to copy and paste to see:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=DKahnt&nu...

***You can also just copy and paster the above link and replace "DKahnt" with your username... that will work too... just make sure you braket it.

The widget will automatically update on your profile.

*Please note: My profile is full of stuff that already expands it... so my widget shows up without the scroll bars because of the rest of the stuff making it a bit wider already.

-DK
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

The easiest method was to copy the text and replace your user name with mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
Awesome!

The easiest method was to copy the text and replace your user name with mine.

Yeah, that's probably easiest if you want your ten last games played in small pictures.

Otherwise you'll have to go through the steps.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great

Thanks for this

Is there a way to get rid of the scroll bars other than adding this things to make the profile bigger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
asta wrote:
Great

Thanks for this

Is there a way to get rid of the scroll bars other than adding this things to make the profile bigger?

Ah! Eureka, I've just changed the number of items displayed and this now fits and looks tidy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great tutorial, David!

I just spent a good hour trying to find a way to include an image map so that the individual games within the image are clickable, to no avail. There's simply no way to squeeze that kind of code into the UBB markups.

Looks like we're up to some feature request...perhaps a modification/extension of the [url] tag?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great ideas.

It is too bad that the wanted list does not take into account the level of want. I am getting a bunch of the '5' wants that are just there to mark for someting I want to play. It is too bad the top 10 does not limit it to the top 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlin Deckert
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf wrote:
Thanks for the great tutorial, David!

I just spent a good hour trying to find a way to include an image map so that the individual games within the image are clickable, to no avail. There's simply no way to squeeze that kind of code into the UBB markups.

Looks like we're up to some feature request...perhaps a modification/extension of the [url] tag?

Maybe it's changed in the past few months ... when I generate my own at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekwidget.php, I get clickable images, as long as "Display as Image" is not selected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
Thanks for the great ideas.

It is too bad that the wanted list does not take into account the level of want. I am getting a bunch of the '5' wants that are just there to mark for someting I want to play. It is too bad the top 10 does not limit it to the top 10.

Yeah - same here. Is there anyway to change this? I'd like it just to show the top of my wishlist if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Bailey
United States
Fairview
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Finally got this done! thumbsup

I feel like the coolest kid on the block.
Well, the coolest nerd anyway.cool

Thanks-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McFadden
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Game night any night!
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

I have no computer sophistication. But thanks to you, I have a cool working widget in my profile.

To you, sir, I say 'thank you'.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Thanks for helping a computer idiot like myself add some chrome to the old profile!

I've done both my "Top 10" and my "Hot 10", and I've discovered that when I change a game on one of those lists, it automatically updates the image. Sweet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Ball
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the I generate the code what do I do next? The box to the right gives me the code and the images which I can see but I don't know how to put it in my profile. I have tried copy and paste. HELP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oddzilla wrote:
After the I generate the code what do I do next? The box to the right gives me the code and the images which I can see but I don't know how to put it in my profile. I have tried copy and paste. HELP!

Quote:
bracket it with [img} for the beginning and [/img} at the end... (replace the }'s with ]'s ... they don't show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I was actually able to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this in my profile for a while now.

After one of the more recent updates, I now note it has a nice extra feature, and a nasty annoying side-effect.

The nice extra feature is the appearance of the magnifying glass icon, so if you would like to change the size up to better see just what that one game is, you can.

The annoying extra effect is that it appears to want to load the large images before you click on it, each and every time you navigate there - regardless of any imaged cashed.

Every time I go to my profile, and change to any other page in my profile, I have to wait a bit - say, five seconds - for the large images to load (which push all the second column info off), and then switch back to the smaller images.

Anyone know what's up with this, and how I can avoid it?

Here's the particular code I'm using (with a few extra space to make it break for display):

[ IMG ]http ://www.boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Chanfan&numitems=10&text=none&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagepos=center&inline=1&imagewidget=1[ /IMG ]

Here it is inline:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this! Worked like a charm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Τhe cave you fear holds the treasure you seek.
badge
My lucky number is four billion. That doesn't come in real handy when you're gambling. "Come on, four billion! Darn! Seven. Not even close. I need more dice." Mitch Hedberg
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Kehoe
United Kingdom
St Clement
Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this great looking Pimp idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretentious? Moi?
United States
Pocomoke
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

So, what determines if the '+/-' zoom widget appears above the images? Width of the individual pics?

Sometimes it appears above the images in my profile, and others, not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RicochetRita wrote:
So, what determines if the '+/-' zoom widget appears above the images? Width of the individual pics?
When the resulting image is more than 600 pixels wide, a scaled down version is displayed, and the +/- gets added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretentious? Moi?
United States
Pocomoke
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
When the resulting image is more than 600 pixels wide, a scaled down version is displayed, and the +/- gets added.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has some copy & paste code that will give you your "Top Ten" and "Hot Ten" as well:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/362678
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Shuck
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, is there a way of putting this into a blog?

I've tried the above method to paste the img into my Wordpress blog - and the page then asks me for my BGG password.

Any ideas how I get around this (I can't seem to get the script to run in Wordpress)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |