Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've done business with this company, please relate your experience here. Good or bad.

Potential customers can review this thread and decide for themselves if this is the right bricks & mortar/online vendor for themselves.

This is for:
www.rainy-day-games.com
Rainy Day Games LLC.
18105 SW Tualatin Valley HWY
Aloha, OR 97006

NOT www.rainydaygames.us or www.rainydaygames.ca which is a different company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Loop wrote:
Potential customers can review this thread and decide for themselves if this is the right online vendor for themselves.

I thought they were just a bricks & mortar store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
They'll actually process and ship orders called in though that's not really an on-line system. Plus, the prices don't change from what the store price is. I've purchased from the store location a few times. They have one of the better in-store selections of board games around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly B&M, but http://www.rainy-day-games.com/order.html
will take order online via cash, credit card, PayPal, or money order.

Service is good, prices are MSRP. But I posted this thread because there are 2 Rainy Day Games, and wanted to make sure others are not confused by which is which...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have dealt with Rainy Day as a Brick And Mortar store when visiting in the Portland area and as an electronic store via Ebay auction. I have found them helpful, speedy and professional in both cases. I don't believe they are a deep discount operation, but that is not always my most important buying decision factor.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice store. When I was originally looking for Arkham Horror a few years back and no stores had it, they offered to put my name down and hold a copy when they got more in stock.

I had forgotten about this until one night I got a call from them saying they just received shipment (this was after the second printing) and were verefying I still wanted a copy held. They held it for almost a week until I had enough time to drive out and pick it up.

My only complaint is they are so far away from where I live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Weis
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great store -- we'd visit more often but for the traffic in getting there from our side of town. Excellent selection of games, including those that are hard to keep in stock. They recently held a copy of Pandemic for me, which I appreciated, and have honestly answered questions about games that I likely would have ended up giving away had I bought them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to spend some time in the Portland area last summer. I visited the store several times and they actually are the main reason I have gotten back into board games. Browsed there a few times, purchased a couple of games and, most importantly, attended game night there. Had a really good experience with all aspects of the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salzwedel
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it may be an okay place to shop, but I don't like the management. Besides being rude to vendors, they did a big no-no. They requested a sample for evaluation of one of our games, told us that they wouldn't stock it, and then turned around a week later and sold the sample in their store.

I won't do business with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgames wrote:
Well, it may be an okay place to shop, but I don't like the management. Besides being rude to vendors, they did a big no-no. They requested a sample for evaluation of one of our games, told us that they wouldn't stock it, and then turned around a week later and sold the sample in their store.

Wow, that makes me reconsider doing business with them. I don't know about anyone else, but to me that's like a college professor requesting sample textbooks for evaluation and selling them online or DVD reviewers selling their studio screeners (at least the copies that specifically say not for resale).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salzwedel
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampyur wrote:
ssgames wrote:

Wow, that makes me reconsider doing business with them. I don't know about anyone else, but to me that's like a college professor requesting sample textbooks for evaluation and selling them online or DVD reviewers selling their studio screeners (at least the copies that specifically say not for resale).

Well, I've never had a problem with any other retailer, but it's made me consider stamping the sample game covers with "SAMPLE - NOT FOR RESALE". I only found out because I noticed someone's geeklist talking about all the cheap games they got at the store.

If they're not convenient, I'd just see if a closer store would be willing to special order for you, or just shop online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salzwedel
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampyur wrote:

I found out from this geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/29341

I wonder how many other games they've requested for free and then sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgames wrote:
Vampyur wrote:

The store wasn't selling the games in that geeklist. They were auctioning them off for private individuals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgames wrote:

Is that the only evidence you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salzwedel
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
ssgames wrote:
Vampyur wrote:

The store wasn't selling the games in that geeklist. They were auctioning them off for private individuals.

Do you work for them? Taking money for a sample is wrong, no matter what you call the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgames wrote:
quozl wrote:
ssgames wrote:

Do you work for them? Taking money for a sample is wrong, no matter what you call the process.

No I don't. My point is that it may or not be the store copy that was sold in that auction. It may have been one of your customers auctioning it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jonathon. You're making a very serious accusation without really having any evidence that the store sold your sample copy. The auction is an auction of games that customers bring in not games the store owns.

I have no affiliation with Rainy Day Games other than visiting as a customer three or four times. I certainly agree that IF they sold a demo game you have a right to be upset and to let others know your story. My concern is that if you have no real evidence other than a geeklist, which it seems you misinterpreted, you really aren't taking the high road here. You're unfairly accusing them.

A phone call to confirm your suspicion might be warranted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ellis
United States
Aloha
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Try a new game today :)
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't normally respond to topics on BGG for a variety of reasons this topic obviously requires my response due to the incredibly uninformed Mr. Mark Salzwedel's personal attack on my reputation.

Here are some important points...
1) The Rainy Day Games auctions consist of games from customers to customers (my thanks to the customers that already pointed this out). In full disclosure, I have sold personal copies of games at these auctions but certainly did not sell his sample games as that wouldn't have been the ethical thing to do.

2) The auction took place months after Mr. Salzwedel sent sample copies out to me (NOT within a week). These were sent to me under my dual identity of game reviewer (for GamesBuyer Magazine) and owner/buyer (for Rainy Day Games). I'm fairly certain that the games were either given away or thrown away quite some time before the auction in question. Mr. Salzwedel did not request them back (which is normal for review/sample copies).

3) I did not contact Mr. Salzwedel to begin this process (either he contacted me directly or was sent my way via the editor of GameBuyer Magazine). He wanted retailers like myself to stock his games. He wanted free press via reviews for his games. I chose not to stock his games and they didn't make the cut for reviews. Business is business - no hard feelings intended. At the time, I attempted to offer Mr. Salzwedel feedback on his products but he seemed uninterested and I have not communicated with him since.

In closing, anyone is free to ask reputable people within the hobby gaming industry about my reputation because I believe that is is excellent. I have run a successful and responsible retail store for almost 10 years. I stock as much as possible in my store (from the largest publishers down to local independents). I strive to provide excellent customer service. I have served on the Origins award council. I have written for GameBuyer magazine since 2005. I have been a speaker at numerous industry events (trade shows, open houses, etc). Publishers often seek my honest and forthright opinions on their upcoming products. I have donated thousands of dollars of games (not to mention my time) to local schools and community groups. I am an adjunct professor at a lcoal university (for the love of teaching, not the pay). I am an active member of my local gaming community and the greater community as well. I love what I do and I try to do it well.

Thanks to everyone for reading my side of events and I hope that you'll take this information into account any time in the future when Mr. Salzwedel jumps to conclusions without any facts.

Happy Gaming!
- Steve Ellis
- Rainy Day Games, LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. It is good to read both sides of the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ssgames wrote:

It appears Mark you have somewhat of a chip on your shoulder regarding your personal game designs. This geek list, by you, displays your attitude towards retailers clearly:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/30279

It's also important to note that your assertion that you "won't do business with them" is basically pointless seeing as how they didn't end up buying your games in the first place... which is almost like saying they won't do business with you.

Good luck with your game designs and try and not take it personal when retailers aren't interested... it's very competitive out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo El Dorado
United States
Portland
wannabeinhawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a frequent purchaser of mostly FFG games there. My wife would buy me most of the small box games as a suprise about 1-2 times a month.

In the early 2007 auction, I had gone to the earlier ones, My wife and I went to the auction. My wife was just recovering from a heart ailment and tired if standing to long.

I asked the clerk behind the counter, tall dark haired guy,if my wife could have one of the chairs to sit on. He said no, there was no room. I looked at the end of the counter where several people, young, were sitting. I let him know what the situation was and that she could sit anywhere they wanted her to in the store. I didn't want her sitting alone in the car. He said "no, we don't have chairs for customers"...

Well, we left the auction early. I realize anything I said would make little difference in the goings on with this store, which I had enjoyed going to. We have not been back since.

We go to Bridgetown hobbies now. They allow my wife to sit when needed, as I browse for my purchases.

I let my pocketbook speak for us. Just a little dent in the gross/net income, just about 1000.00 dollars a year. A fun store, very clique-ish in attitude, however if you are not part of the clique, you are left out to dry. Remember, it appears kids run the store, not the owner.

If you are 40 or older (slightly more disposable than an average teen), then I recommend Bridgetown, or anywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shavala wrote:
I was a frequent purchaser of mostly FFG games there. My wife would buy me ....
I asked the clerk behind the counter, tall dark haired guy,if my wife could have one of the chairs to sit on. He said no.... We have not been back since....

If you are 40 or older (slightly more disposable than an average teen), then I recommend Bridgetown, or anywhere else.

I have arrived at this thread late, but I need to add my (wife's) experience.

Being a great wife, some time ago she bought me Dvonn for my birthday, but of course I had recently bought it for myself. She returned to Rainy Days Games with the receipt and the game in shrink, and the person at the counter refused to accept the game in return, even for store credit. What bothered her most was the rude and dismissive attitude towards her.

My wife is sweet and polite. She did not deserve this treatment, regardless of whether or not the game was accepted in return.

She asked that I not return to that store, and I have not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ellis
United States
Aloha
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Try a new game today :)
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike -

I am one of the owners of Rainy Day Games and this experience you describe is not in line with the store policy...unless the game was being returned outside of our exchange period (which is printed on the receipt).

PLEASE contact me with a private message so that I can understand what occurred and address my staff appropriately. The only way for the store to continuously improve is with direct customer feedback.

Thanks.

Steve Ellis
steve@rainy-day-games.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a long time (if infrequent) customer at Rainy Day Games and it is the bar by which I measure other game stores. They have the best selection I have ever seen, knowledgable staff who are always helpful and great at giving game suggestions, and I can always find something I want and don't already have when I go there (usually MANY somethings). I live a couple hours away from Rainy Day Games, but we take every opportunity to swing by and I have never been disappointed. I like my local game store just fine, but often can't find a new game when I want one. I highly recommend Rainy Day Games, and have always had a GREAT experience there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard
badge
Gates of Eden - Ethan Coen
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in SE Portland yesterday, and visited Rainy Day Games while my wife was doing some shopping up the road. I'd never been there before, and truly enjoyed seeing the store. They didn't have much in the way of hex-and-counter wargames, but their stock of everything else was very impressive. The staff seemed friendly and knowledgeable; the lady who helped me said that there was a group of wargamers who meet there regularly (they've got a large, well lit play area at the back).

I picked up a copy of Forbidden Island while I was there. It was priced at full retail, but it was the first copy I'd seen and I couldn't resist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls