Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kiko chirol
Brazil
rio de janeiro
rio de janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can anyone tell me where I can find good shops in washington DC?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the menu bar, look for BAZAAR, GAMESTOREDB.COM to get a map.

Two healthy ones I have visted: Child's Play on Connecticut Ave, and Game Parlor out in Chantilly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pow
United States
Westminster
Maryland
flag msg tools
How about now?
badge
Looking for my next game
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
On the menu bar, look for BAZAAR, GAMESTOREDB.COM to get a map.

Two healthy ones I have visted: Child's Play on Connecticut Ave, and Game Parlor out in Chantilly.

Game Parlor is an EXCELLENT store, we sometimes take hour long trips down there just to go there (from Southern MD) even though we have a much closer store (that we also love, of course- but it's so big!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Child's Play has the advantage of being accessible via public transportation from any place within the city. Also, if there's something in particular you know you want, they can usually get anything their distributor has in stock in a couple of days. Their selection is impressive to begin with, though.

If you want me to check availability/ask them to order something in advance of your visit, just email me. I live a few blocks away and visit the store regularly, so it would be no problem.

As a non-driver who lives in the city, my trips to Game Parlor are few and far between -- you can't get there without a car and unless you start out in the VA 'burbs, it's quite a schlep (45 minute drive). But the Chantilly store is near Dulles (and the other one is near Potomac Mills Mall), so if you'll be in either of those locations anyway, check them out. It's a very nice store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I CAN NOT stress enough how excellent a game store Game Parlor is... *sigh* One of my biggest regrets of leaving the DC area is having to leave this wonderful game store behind...

ninja

(Actually, I didn't stress it enough... thus the edit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have nothing to compare it to, but I regularly visit the Game Parlor in Chantilly. Then again, I live 5 minutes away, so I have no reason to go anywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not inside the city that's for sure.

On the Maryland suburb side, there's Dream Wizards in Rockville and the Family Games Store in Savage Mill.

There used to be a Compleat Strategist in downtown Falls Church, but I don't know if it's still there (I used to live right by it, but that was a few years ago).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
They're not inside the city that's for sure.

On the Maryland suburb side, there's Dream Wizards in Rockville and the Family Games Store in Savage Mill.

There used to be a Compleat Strategist in downtown Falls Church, but I don't know if it's still there (I used to live right by it, but that was a few years ago).

It's still there, and it still rocks!

My FLGS is Comics MD in Accokeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.gameparlor.com/

Check out Game Parlor's website. Both locations are outstanding.

The Chantilly store (which I frequent) is a few miles north on Rt 28 from I-66 west. The Woodbridge store is just off I-95 south.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kiko chirol
Brazil
rio de janeiro
rio de janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lehto
United States
Occoquan
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yup- I can vouch for both The Compleat Strategist (I was just there last week) and I go to the Game Parlor in Woodbridge on a weekly basis. Our ASL club plays there every other weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Arbo
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your ASL group still going? I live in Woodbridge and I still love that game. Haven't played in years though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmoridin wrote:

Game Parlor is an EXCELLENT store, we sometimes take hour long trips down there just to go there (from Southern MD) even though we have a much closer store (that we also love, of course- but it's so big!)

Which FLGS in Southern MD are you referring to? I live in Lexington Park in St Mary's County and am slowly getting back into boardgaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I HIGHLY recommend the Game Parlor (Chantilly and Woodbridge). They are great stores with very friendly and helpful staff. Their prices are reasonable, too! They offer free use of their tables for gaming, too!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:
They offer free use of their tables for gaming, too!!
I think that just changed. They surveyed patrons for a couple weeks before implementing a minor charge.

I understood it to be $2 for the day starting August 10th. A function of the economic downturn, and subject to removal upon improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Sappington wrote:
They offer free use of their tables for gaming, too!!
I think that just changed. They surveyed patrons for a couple weeks before implementing a minor charge.

I understood it to be $2 for the day starting August 10th. A function of the economic downturn, and subject to removal upon improvement.

Ah, good to know. Makes sense, though. I remember doing Friday Night Magic a couple times there and it was free, but that's the only time I've actually used their tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle X
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:
I HIGHLY recommend the Game Parlor (Chantilly and Woodbridge). They are great stores with very friendly and helpful staff. Their prices are reasonable, too! They offer free use of their tables for gaming, too!!

This seems quite dated at this point. I went out there a month or so ago and it is a dingy dirty place with tons of minatures. If you are looking for actual board games this is a very poor choice. Not only does it smell, it has hardly any games and of the few that they do have many are old and obscure games no one would want.

Labyrinth in Capital Hill is a pretty good place to go for games, but as most places the games are about 20% more than they cost online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haebooty wrote:
Sappington wrote:

This seems quite dated at this point. I went out there a month or so ago and it is a dingy dirty place with tons of minatures. If you are looking for actual board games this is a very poor choice. Not only does it smell, it has hardly any games and of the few that they do have many are old and obscure games no one would want.

Labyrinth in Capital Hill is a pretty good place to go for games, but as most places the games are about 20% more than they cost online.

Well, I guess it's all relative. It's certainly not Neimann Marcus, but my impression is not "dingy and dirty". As for the smell...well, okay, that goes with the territory. It's a popular place, so it attracts a lot of people who may not all bathe regularly. They have a full wall plus more for board games, and they have diversified to try and stay in business: comics, miniatures, D&D, models, and so on. I think their board games are fairly current, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I believe the Game Parlor in Woodbridge closed. Only the Chantilly location remains open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really sad that there are a couple missing/barely mentioned here:

Victory comics, down the street from the Complete Strategist, I find brighter, cleaner, etc. Is primarily a comics shop, and is often overrun with the more negative side of MtG players, but has a good game selection, and people playing somewhat regularly.

I also CANNOT more highly recommend Labyrinth Games near Eastern Market. Small, but they have a wonderful selection, friendly staff, and lots of games open to play/demo.

Went in once looking for a specific thing, wound up spending 30 minutes with staff and they pulled down a copy of a game we didn't know just to show off components and explain the rules. Great experience.

Both of course suffer from not being as cheap as online.. but what does one expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyellin wrote:

Victory comics, down the street from the Complete Strategist, I find brighter, cleaner, etc. Is primarily a comics shop, and is often overrun with the more negative side of MtG players, but has a good game selection, and people playing somewhat regularly.

I also CANNOT more highly recommend Labyrinth Games near Eastern Market. Small, but they have a wonderful selection, friendly staff, and lots of games open to play/demo.

Went in once looking for a specific thing, wound up spending 30 minutes with staff and they pulled down a copy of a game we didn't know just to show off components and explain the rules. Great experience.

Both of course suffer from not being as cheap as online.. but what does one expect.

This thread started before Labyrinth even opened. The more recent posts have mentioned it, as it deserves (I also recommend it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
Lyellin wrote:

This thread started before Labyrinth even opened. The more recent posts have mentioned it, as it deserves (I also recommend it).

True - one does (in my mind, qualifying as barely mentioning). Just adding my view, which I would think would be ok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:
haebooty wrote:
Sappington wrote:

Well, I guess it's all relative. It's certainly not Neimann Marcus, but my impression is not "dingy and dirty". As for the smell...well, okay, that goes with the territory. It's a popular place, so it attracts a lot of people who may not all bathe regularly. They have a full wall plus more for board games, and they have diversified to try and stay in business: comics, miniatures, D&D, models, and so on. I think their board games are fairly current, too.
More to the point, the OP asked for places in DC. I hardly considered Woodbridge and Chantilly to be accessible to the DC tourists, while Labyrinth is about 50 feet away from a Metro stop and about 5 blocks away from the Capitol building. It's a no brainer to send tourists there. Getting out to Chantilly means renting a car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
More to the point, the OP asked for places in DC. I hardly considered Woodbridge and Chantilly to be accessible to the DC tourists, while Labyrinth is about 50 feet away from a Metro stop and about 5 blocks away from the Capitol building. It's a no brainer to send tourists there. Getting out to Chantilly means renting a car.

In colloquial use, DC sometimes refers to the city proper, sometimes to the MSA, and sometimes to the CSA. Furthermore, the sad fact is that very few game stores are in urban cores in the U.S. I presume this is due to rent (I don't even want to imagine what Labyrinth pays for their modest storefront in Eastern Market). Offhand, I can think of Labyrinth in DC, Pandemonium in Cambridge, and the Compleat Strategist is NYC. There is nothing easily accessible in central Los Angeles. (I'm not sure about SF, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, etc., as I've never looked for game stores in those places). That's why I wouldn't put game stores high on the list for car-less tourists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |