Board Game: Here I Stand
Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Leader alone under siege rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denis Cobrousev
Russia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cyberboard playerMicrobadge: Card-Driven Wargames fanMicrobadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Reds! The Russian Civil War 1918-1921 fan
If lone leader (with no units) is in besieged space, will the player receive dice for his battle rating during assault?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Al Williams
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of MasksMicrobadge: Banksy fanMicrobadge: Hardcore Ludography fanMicrobadge: Public Domain fanMicrobadge: Defeats Children Without Mercy
Interesting question.
My guess from the rules would be yes.
But it's hard to imagine a situation where this would happen.
A player would have to move units out of a fortification and purposefully leave a leader behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Al Williams
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of MasksMicrobadge: Banksy fanMicrobadge: Hardcore Ludography fanMicrobadge: Public Domain fanMicrobadge: Defeats Children Without Mercy
I'd also note that it would seem that because the formation size would be 0 in such a case, the attacker would roll a full die for each unit as opposed to the more common 1 die for every two units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
Microbadge: The Beatles fanMicrobadge: Bruce Springsteen fanMicrobadge: Elvis Costello fanMicrobadge: Johnny Cash fanMicrobadge: Creedence Clearwater Revival fan
Monday Bio wrote:
My guess from the rules would be yes.
The step-by-step procedures in the rules for counting Defender dice in a Siege instruct that the highest rated leader adds in his rating without regard to the number of SPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: LifeMicrobadge: FreedomMicrobadge: Human Rights
Actually, the attacker would not get 1 die per attacking unit. He only gets that if there are no "defending units" in the city (see assault procedure step 3, page 21), and a leader is a military unit (see the first sentence in section 5, page 6).

Lone leaders are left in a city more often than you might think, because a city with a leader in it is not "unoccupied" and thus in most cases it cannot be targeted for unrest. If you have two leaders and the weaker one is not going to contribute anything to your campaign (because you don't have so many units that you need the second leader to move them all), you can prevent unrest in your capital without reducing the strength of your campaign force by leaving the weaker leader behind during spring deployment.

Of course, as the situation that gave rise to this question shows, you have to be careful about doing that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Barrington
United States
California
flag msg tools
>Interesting question.
>My guess from the rules would be yes.
>But it's hard to imagine a situation where this would happen.
>A player would have to move units out of a fortification and >purposefully leave a leader behind.

I've seen it happen when the formation under the leader was all Mercenaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Al Williams
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
Actually, the attacker would not get 1 die per attacking unit. He only gets that if there are no "defending units" in the city (see assault procedure step 3, page 21), and a leader is a military unit (see the first sentence in section 5, page 6).
Except the language repetitively and consistently through the entire section distinguishes between land units and leaders and then cites a fortification with no units. Not only does this strongly lead to there being a distinction here, but it's far more in spirit with the rules.

Ed Beach? You out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: LifeMicrobadge: FreedomMicrobadge: Human Rights
Yes, it distinguishes "land units" from "leaders," because those are two different types of "units."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: WBC attendeeMicrobadge: Civilization VI fanMicrobadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: Baltimore Orioles fan
A leader alone inside a fortification does not cause the attacker's dice to be halved. To be clearer, the rules in Step 3 of the Assault Procedure should read:

"If against a fortified spaces with no defending land units"

OR

"If against a fortified spaces with one or more defending land units"

(Bold text is new).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
That goes under errata rather than FAQs, right Ed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallagher
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: ASLSK#1 fanMicrobadge: Dystopian Wars fanMicrobadge: Wellington fan
So, Phil Thomas has a strategy of leaving a leader in a key to prevent unrest being placed there.
Yet the rule talks of land or naval units in reference to the cards that cause unrest but to unoccupied spaces for excommunication and failed reformation attempted-- is the distinction on purpose?
Doe that negate Phil Thomas's strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Eklund
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Whose turn is it anyway?Microbadge: Skydiving fanMicrobadge: My cat destroys games in progressMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fan
A leader alone in a space does “occupy” it for determining placement of unrest. FAQ 12.4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls