Popular Tags: [View All]
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few strategic principles I use when playing Torres:

- Think *efficiency*. That's what the game is about.

- In the 1st Year, try to diversify your knights, get them all over the place.
This is advantageous in at least 3 ways: 1) It prepares the 2nd and 3rd Years for you to have lots of building in lots of different castles and in places where other players will likely not bother you as much, 2) You must place a new knight next to a preexisting knight, so diversifying will let you place a knight closer to it's destination, and 3) It annoys the heck out of your opponent(s).

- Getting high is good. Preventing your opponents from doing the same is important.
Getting so high that opponents cannot jump unless they spend a lot of Action Points is a common technique, as well as placing a spare knight in a lower level (sometimes the same level) just to deny the spot to another player.

- Don't waste action points. Try to use all of them.

- When playing the Master Version (my favorite), be efficient with your action cards.
Try to avoid playing the most valuable ones in the 1st Year. A good example is not playing your "place-a-block-underneath-one-of-your-knights" action card, which is one of the most valuable cards in the game.

- When playing the Master Version, play all of your action cards! This is important. If you did not play all your action cards, then you did not use them efficiently!!! Not using your extra action points cards is especially damaging. One exception might be the "jump-over-another-knight" action card, since it is only useful in super dense games.

- The kings bonus is big, but if it causes you to go out of your way too much (especially in the 1st Year), then it might not be the most efficient way to go. Besides, if you are in last place after the 1st or 2nd Year, you get to move the king anywhere you want, usually meaning you can get the king's bonus pretty easily while denying the same to your opponent(s). (Sometimes placing it in a spot where nobody can get it if it's possible is cool, especially if your in the lead or can take the lead, and it REALLY annoys your opponent(s).)

- Keep track of how many turns you have left in the game. Ten rounds (twelve with 2 players) is not all that much time. Make sure you have enough turns to execute your master plan.

- Have fun!!! You play better when you are enjoying yourself. (This applies to all games, and having fun does not equal carelessness.)

If I remember anything else, I'll add it to the list, and if you know something, feel free to share it!

Remember, these are only principles. They are very helpful, but there are always exceptions. It always boils down to the game situation and the player's ability to find the most efficient and beneficial moves. (This applies to all games.)

Good gaming, and I hope this article not only helps the reader(s) play Torres better, but also helps them to gain more appreciation for this wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
My only strategy insight is that you should use the "enter any door, exit any lower door" rule to your advantage when moving. By placing tower blocks before you move so that the castle you enter has doors near where you want to go to, you can sometimes move your knights long distances cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. That is a very good technique. Moving cheaper almost always increases efficiency (because moving efficiently is efficient! ).

I completely forgot to mention that. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the use of the 6AP card ?
(when you have to spend 1 AP to get it)
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically you get to keep that AP for another round when you might need it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.