United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JeffyJeff wrote:
kdickerson_az wrote:
Hey guys, I would really like to participate, cause I've got a couple hot items (Formula De and Thurn and Taxis), but I don't really understand how to tell everyone what I want. Will someone enlighten a poor noob?
I think you may be setting yoru expetations high already if you feel T&T (and FD for that matter) are "hot" items
If the definition of "hot" is a large want:trade ratio, then Thurn and Taxis qualifies more than Formula De, believe it or not.

That said, toss 'em both in anyway. You never know what you might receive in return. It's not called a "no-risk" trade for nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, kids. I'll be attending Vegas Conquest that weekend, and will not have ready access to the Internet to submit want lists in time.

Maybe next time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
I'll be late posting items due to wanting to see the results of an event in progress first, but I'll be there. The deadlines work out nicely for me...
Oh, I couldn't wait to support Carl in his effort to blow away his old record here, so I've dug up 10 items of varying value off my not-for-trade list to put up here that I might be persuaded to part with. There are still 24 entries in another event right now, some of which will make their way here closer to the deadline if they don't trade in that one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
anglotiger wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
I'll be late posting items due to wanting to see the results of an event in progress first, but I'll be there. The deadlines work out nicely for me...
Oh, I couldn't wait to support Carl in his effort to blow away his old record here, so I've dug up 10 items of varying value off my not-for-trade list to put up here that I might be persuaded to part with. There are still 24 entries in another event right now, some of which will make their way here closer to the deadline if they don't trade in that one...
Consider this my effort to persuade you.

Mind you, there's no way this trade will shatter any records. I'm fairly convinced of that. However, at this moment in time (~7 hours in), we're ahead of where we were in the Cabin Fever math trade at the same time. So you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dickerson
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By "hot" I mean I don't want them. Haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dickerson
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, so I think I got it. Post stuff we want to trade, then after posting is done, we send in our wants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdickerson_az wrote:
OK, so I think I got it. Post stuff we want to trade, then after posting is done, we send in our wants?
Yes. And very importantly, do not under any circumstances delete your geeklist entries. If you decide that you do not wish to trade your games away, you can submit a blank want list for them and they will not trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question to those of you with greater experience of this than me.

I want to offer the PC version of Diplomacy by Micropose. In fact they call it " Avalon Hill's Diplomacy ". My question is whether this should be called " outside the scope of BGG " or whether it is acceptable to use the Diplomacy ID details and state, quite clearly, that this is the PC version on offer only.

I don't want to mislead anyone. Thoughts or suggestions please.

Cheers
Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is NOT the board game, go ahead and use "outside the scope of BGG" and THEN explain it is the computer PC game. Remember, this is for board/card games FIRST, "geeky stuff" second.

Ahiksking wrote:
Quick question to those of you with greater experience of this than me.

I want to offer the PC version of Diplomacy by Micropose. In fact they call it " Avalon Hill's Diplomacy ". My question is whether this should be called " outside the scope of BGG " or whether it is acceptable to use the Diplomacy ID details and state, quite clearly, that this is the PC version on offer only.

I don't want to mislead anyone. Thoughts or suggestions please.

Cheers
Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ggg ggg
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
I have a game, Under The Sea, for which I am the only owner. I added the game, and the photos, to the db. It's a kids game and missing many parts.

I added it because I thought it may be of interest to a collector somewhere even though it is missing parts.

Am I correct in my 'may be of interest' assumption, or off base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always interested in kids games but only when they are offered in a lot of at least 3 games.
Unless it's a really good HABA or Selecta or other one that is expensive and not readily available used or for trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:

Date Closed For Submission: Thur Apr 7 2008 @ 5pm MST

Please note the dates. They will not be changed except in cases of extreme catastrophe.
I think you should change it just to obtain amusing responses from people with tight sphincters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dickerson
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
kdickerson_az wrote:
Yes. And very importantly, do not under any circumstances delete your geeklist entries. If you decide that you do not wish to trade your games away, you can submit a blank want list for them and they will not trade.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onkst
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm new to math trades and I've read over the wiki entry, but I'm still having a difficult time figuring out how to use sweeteners and whether or not to list each of the games I want to trade as separate individual entries. I've seen it done in a variety of ways on the "for trade" list and I'd like a little guidance.

Essentially, I have a few well-know and fairly high-ranked games in excellent condition that I'd like to trade

and

I've got a couple of fairly well-known and liked boxed DVD sets of some television series (an entire season of a series per a box).

Can someone please briefly tell me the pros and cons of listing all of these items separately or together, particularly with an emphasis on the strategy of sweeteners. It seems the TV series box-sets of DVDs I've seen listed, have been separate entries.

I thought one of the main points of a math trade was to increase the pool of items so that everyone gets what they want, but if you double up on items (i.e. two games as one entry), it seems like some people are going to get games they really don't want as add-ons (i.e. sweeteners).

Thanks in advance for your patience with these newbie questions.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweeteners are usually added to games of low desirability or monetary value. Also, sometimes someone will be offering the exact same game as you, so you can add a little extra to make your game more desirable.

It all depends on what games you are looking to get. If I am happy with getting an in-print $25 game, I will just trade a single game. If I am looking to get a copy of Hannibal, then I will slap together one entry with a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
donkst wrote:

I'm new to math trades and I've read over the wiki entry, but I'm still having a difficult time figuring out how to use sweeteners and whether or not to list each of the games I want to trade as separate individual entries. I've seen it done in a variety of ways on the "for trade" list and I'd like a little guidance.

Essentially, I have a few well-know and fairly high-ranked games in excellent condition that I'd like to trade

and

I've got a couple of fairly well-known and liked boxed DVD sets of some television series (an entire season of a series per a box).

Can someone please briefly tell me the pros and cons of listing all of these items separately or together, particularly with an emphasis on the strategy of sweeteners. It seems the TV series box-sets of DVDs I've seen listed, have been separate entries.

I thought one of the main points of a math trade was to increase the pool of items so that everyone gets what they want, but if you double up on items (i.e. two games as one entry), it seems like some people are going to get games they really don't want as add-ons (i.e. sweeteners).

Thanks in advance for your patience with these newbie questions.

David
You have many questions, Mr. Sparkle! I'll answer in a general sense.

Remember that, in general, like-value trades for like-value. That is, you're not usually going to trade something like, say, Palazzo for a copy of Roads and Boats. Thus, while you're certainly welcome to put Roads and Boats on the want list for Palazzo, it isn't likely to make a trade.

Thus, you have two strategies:

1. Play it like a lottery. Put a cardboard Checkers game in and put nothing but Merchant of Venus on the want list.
2. Group bundles of games together to increase the overall desirability (and value) and put higher-value games on the list.

I do a bit of both. If you look at my entries, some are certainly more desirable than others. Doom and expansion is much more likely to trade than my Star Trek items.

And that leads to bundling (or the addition of sweeteners). Don't add a sweetener just go get it out of your hair; I've been known to pass up games that have undesirable sweeteners. For example, I have Word Jam that isn't worth much, but I didn't add it to anything because I didn't feel like it would "go" with any of my offerings. Star Trek CCG and Star Trek UNO, though, make a nice themed pair.

Similarly, you'll often see a bunch of two-player games in a bundle, perhaps with one main game.

There are no hard-and-fast rules. I'd recommend looking through all of the entries thus far, and maybe some of the Cabin Fever entries, to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

At the end of the day, though, just keep my first point in mind: like-value for like-value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, general announcement:

I have promised to decrease my game collection, so PLEASE add lots of non-game items (that I'm interested in ) so I can join in!
I even have Dune for trade if I see a good bundle! Here are some ideas:

Books:
Neil Gaiman's Sandman
Buffy Season 8 TPBs
Books about how to write for comics
Issues of McSweeney's or The Believer
Vintage Philip K Dick
Anything by Octavia Butler
Theories of Everything by Roz Chast

DVDs:
Battlestar Galactica (except 2 and 2.5 which I already have)
Star Trek Next Generation (any)
Buffy complete set
Angel complete set
Eddie Izzard shows
James Bond movies with Sean Connery

There is one game I especially would like though, for my son, and that's Cranium Hulaballoo. I'm very likely to put it on my want lists if it's paired with another kid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:

Star Trek Next Generation (any)
Your wish is my command. I will be adding my ST:TNG DVD box sets right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl, it might be worth pointing out, on the main list, that you've listed times in MST. While Arizona (where you seem to live) does not observe DST, the rest of the US, and probably many other places in the world, do.

I used to live in AZ and I do miss this part of it. We never changed our clocks, and somehow, the world didn't implode.

For reference, MST is equivalent to PDT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daylight savings is something I would immediately abolish if I had the power to do so. Thanks a lot, USA, for extending it even longer. My toddler really loves going to bed while the sun is still shining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
swaits wrote:
Carl, it might be worth pointing out, on the main list, that you've listed times in MST. While Arizona (where you seem to live) does not observe DST, the rest of the US, and probably many other places in the world, do.

I used to live in AZ and I do miss this part of it. We never changed our clocks, and somehow, the world didn't implode.

For reference, MST is equivalent to PDT.
I'll try to find the 17 places that I (stupidly) copied it to. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ggggggg wrote:
I have a game, Under The Sea, for which I am the only owner. I added the game, and the photos, to the db. It's a kids game and missing many parts.

I added it because I thought it may be of interest to a collector somewhere even though it is missing parts.

Am I correct in my 'may be of interest' assumption, or off base?
'may be' is right. I wouldn't expect much from it - usually games are completely obscure and rare because they aren't desired or very good. However, some collectors could still be interested. I traded a (complete) copy of Interplay, which I got somewhere as a kid and added to the DB myself, a few math trades ago. I think it made 2 people's want lists, and traded for Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things, one that makes me happy, one that makes me unhappy:

1. Dan Corban and cornjob rock!! Now I can get in this MT.

2. I have noticed several people are using the "comments" section under each entry to give a negative personal opinion of the item offered. I don't think that's very fair as it "poisons the well" for everyone that views that item. If you feel the need to say something, you should email the user privately. If you have noticed a trend in several entries that bothers you, then comment on it in the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
starspangledgirl wrote:

2. I have noticed several people are using the "comments" section under each entry to give a negative personal opinion of the item offered. I don't think that's very fair as it "poisons the well" for everyone that views that item. If you feel the need to say something, you should email the user privately. If you have noticed a trend in several entries that bothers you, then comment on it in the forum.
Which entries?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Seelbach
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:

Don't worry too much. The OWLG does not carry anyone else's comments, and in a math trade this size the majority of people will be using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [35] |