Recommend
63 
 Thumb up
 Hide
853 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [35] | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: The Springtime Math Trade discussion thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Swanson
United States
Maplewood
MN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be my first math trade as well.

My question:

Where do you send the want list to?

Thanks in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
mariners95 wrote:
This will be my first math trade as well.

My question:

Where do you send the want list to?

Thanks in advance.
After the submission period ends next Thursday, I'll post an official list that contains the lot names/numbers (e.g., 00001-DOOM). You'll then compose your want lists and send them via GeekMail to me. Don't send anything until the official list is posted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One change to a sweetener for Item 380 (Sing Sing). The original game, Sing Sing, remains. However, the sweetener has been changed to Ravensburger's You're Bluffing!. Sorry for any confusion this may cause.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
starspangledgirl wrote:
DVDs:
Battlestar Galactica (except 2 and 2.5 which I already have)
Star Trek Next Generation (any)
Buffy complete set
Angel complete set
Hmmm, I've picked up BG season 1 and 3 since our last trade. Finished them just before the airing of the newest episode, but not sure if I want to get rid of them just yet.

I've left my entire DVD collection (like over 250) behind in Houston during my move, including several TNG sets. Would love to get them somehow (or get rid of them locally) but never got the chance to, so they just sit in boxes in my relative's place, that is if they haven't tossed them out yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go Pats!
badge
My awesome son =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for running this trade, Carl!! I was about to go crazy...

Now, if I can just manage to snag a copy of Here I Stand then my joy will be complete!!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I don't know if I mentioned it, but we're running around the same pace as the Cabin Fever Math Trade (I checked this morning). Could we have a new king on our hands?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:
I don't know if I mentioned it, but we're running around the same pace as the Cabin Fever Math Trade (I checked this morning). Could we have a new king on our hands?
More insteresting to me would be the number of games actually traded. Do you happen to have that figure handy from the Cabin Fever trade?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Seelbach
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
carl67lp wrote:
I don't know if I mentioned it, but we're running around the same pace as the Cabin Fever Math Trade (I checked this morning). Could we have a new king on our hands?
More insteresting to me would be the number of games actually traded. Do you happen to have that figure handy from the Cabin Fever trade?

Games traded, or total trades? Because it has been proven that Geekgold arbitrage squeezes out the number of games traded by artificially inflating the trade count. Actual games traded is a much better number for considering the success of a math trade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
More insteresting to me would be the number of games actually traded. Do you happen to have that figure handy from the Cabin Fever trade?
2420 items, 994 trades. (According to Jeffyjeff's stats on it).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there some way to search the GeekList for a specific game? Or get all the items on a single page? As much as I love looking at games, clicking through a 50+ page list will get tedious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Granger
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
Is there some way to search the GeekList for a specific game? Or get all the items on a single page? As much as I love looking at games, clicking through a 50+ page list will get tedious.
My question too. Or is there any way to sort the list other than by the order in which items were submitted?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Taylor
United States
Camino
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: The Willow Game fanMicrobadge: Hangtown fanMicrobadge: HeroQuest fanMicrobadge: Werewolf fan
I have a bunch of games that I have 2 or more copies of for trading. Should I list these more than once? Or is that not allowed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
Is there some way to search the GeekList for a specific game? Or get all the items on a single page? As much as I love looking at games, clicking through a 50+ page list will get tedious.
Use the online want list generator:
http://activityclub.org/bgg/bgglogin.cgi

Helpful instructions here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/30011
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caledor wrote:
I have a bunch of games that I have 2 or more copies of for trading. Should I list these more than once? Or is that not allowed?
Go for it. Many people post multiple copies of the same game.

I suggest mentioning in the entry that it is "copy #2" or whatever, so people don't think you accidentally duplicated an entry.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onkst
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, I know this is BGG 101 to most of you, but what's the best way to upload an image of a DVD cover and insert it into the body of an entry? I've tried the insert external image function several times as an experiment on one of my own geeklists (from both a commercial site that has the image, and a free uploader site that has a copy of my own image), but the external image does not seem to upload--I only get a white box with an X in it. I've uploaded many game images before, but that function allows me to upload from my hard drive. Some basic Goggle Site Searches did not seem to turn up an apparent answer.

Sorry to bother everyone with such a basic question.

Many Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
donkst wrote:

OK, I know this is BGG 101 to most of you, but what's the best way to upload an image of a DVD cover and insert it into the body of an entry? I've tried the insert external image function several times as an experiment on one of my own geeklists (from both a commercial site that has the image, and a free uploader site that has a copy of my own image), but the external image does not seem to upload--I only get a white box with an X in it. I've uploaded many game images before, but that function allows me to upload from my hard drive. Some basic Goggle Site Searches did not seem to turn up an apparent answer.

Sorry to bother everyone with such a basic question.

Many Thanks
Upload your image(s) into your personal gallery (My Geek > Gallery > Upload Image), then use the camera icon below the emoticons and type in the image# of the ones you want to include in your text body (or alternatively just change the representative image of the game to one of your own).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
High Level
AB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I'm not participating in the math trades as they are likely not feasible for NZ/Aussie participants because of the huge shipping costs involved but I just wanted to say what a great tool the online want list generator is. It's amazing how well run and how effective these Math Trades are at getting a lot of great games traded and into the hands of those that want them. Thumbs up to everyone involved in making this such a cool process.


thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onkst
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalasta wrote:


Upload your image(s) into your personal gallery (My Geek > Gallery > Upload Image), then use the camera icon below the emoticons and type in the image# of the ones you want to include in your text body (or alternatively just change the representative image of the game to one of your own).
Thanks Jason--that was very helpful. I had looked at my individual user image gallery as an option, but I feared I would not be able to delete the image later. It is nice to know that I won't be stuck with an image of a DVD cover for life in my gallery
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
PLEASE STAND BY FOR AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM YOUR MODERATOR

I was looking over the dates I have posted for this trade, and once again reminded myself that Thursday is going to be a busy night. I have two large school projects due that evening (anyone feel like offering some InDesign assistance? ), so please understand if the summary isn't up lickety-split. That's why I have the caveat of "or earlier" in the description--it might happen, it might not.

Also, I'm offering a lot more items than I originally anticipated. Please understand that due to financial considerations I may need to send things out in "waves." (I really ought not to list as many games as I do, quite frankly.) That is, I'll send a few out once the trade closes, then some a week later, and--heaven forbid--a the rest a week after that. Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Things are running quite smoothly right now; I'm pleased. As I enjoy doing, I've once again compared our progress in this trade to that of the Cabin Fever math trade. At present, we're running several hours ahead, possibly a full day; in other words, we have as many items right now as we did in the Cabin Fever trade, but a day earlier. That brings a smile to my face. (See? That was it, right there.)

Finally, just because you don't see me post or respond to a ton of questions doesn't mean I'm not keeping tabs on things. I've been reviewing the pages upon pages of entries every couple of hours (or sooner), and am keeping tabs on the discussions. The nice thing is that things tend to be self-moderating; I like that.

That said, if you have any questions or concerns, please let me know via GeekMail or a post in the discussion thread. I'm here to help and to make this experience an enjoyable one for everyone.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onkst
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:


You have many questions, Mr. Sparkle! I'll answer in a general sense.

Remember that, in general, like-value trades for like-value. That is, you're not usually going to trade something like, say, Palazzo for a copy of Roads and Boats. Thus, while you're certainly welcome to put Roads and Boats on the want list for Palazzo, it isn't likely to make a trade.

Thus, you have two strategies:

1. Play it like a lottery. Put a cardboard Checkers game in and put nothing but Merchant of Venus on the want list.
2. Group bundles of games together to increase the overall desirability (and value) and put higher-value games on the list.

I do a bit of both. If you look at my entries, some are certainly more desirable than others. Doom and expansion is much more likely to trade than my Star Trek items.

And that leads to bundling (or the addition of sweeteners). Don't add a sweetener just go get it out of your hair; I've been known to pass up games that have undesirable sweeteners. For example, I have Word Jam that isn't worth much, but I didn't add it to anything because I didn't feel like it would "go" with any of my offerings. Star Trek CCG and Star Trek UNO, though, make a nice themed pair.

Similarly, you'll often see a bunch of two-player games in a bundle, perhaps with one main game.

There are no hard-and-fast rules. I'd recommend looking through all of the entries thus far, and maybe some of the Cabin Fever entries, to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

At the end of the day, though, just keep my first point in mind: like-value for like-value.
dcorban wrote:
Sweeteners are usually added to games of low desirability or monetary value. Also, sometimes someone will be offering the exact same game as you, so you can add a little extra to make your game more desirable.

It all depends on what games you are looking to get. If I am happy with getting an in-print $25 game, I will just trade a single game. If I am looking to get a copy of Hannibal, then I will slap together one entry with a few games.
Thanks Carl and Dan--these were very helpful answers, especially for a newbie. And thanks Carl for moderating the trade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caledor wrote:
I have a bunch of games that I have 2 or more copies of for trading. Should I list these more than once? Or is that not allowed?
As Dan said, you can list multiple copies you have of the same game as long as the rules for the given MT allow it (this one does).

However a warning though... this appears to be your 1st math trade.... and on top of that, you just registered here on the geek just nine (9) days ago... and you've added twenty (20) items for trade, some of them recent games, lots of them new in shrink. Needless to say being on the geek only 9 days you also have no trading feedback. And on one has you on their geekbuddy list.

I know the PC police may beat me down on this too, but to me this raises a red flag, or at least a yellow flag of caution. I'd love to put some of your items on my want lists, but I am a 1st born in my family What may help those of us who tend to be cautious is if you have gaming buddies on this site that may be able to vouch for you? Normally if you were making a direct trade with someone else, what folks sometimes agree to is that the 1st time trader ships 1st, and the other party only ships out after they've received the shipment (or sometimes will ship after receiving tracking information). That's kind of hard to do in a math trade because most trades are not direct...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still working on my taxes, but have taken some time to resync the OLWLG with the GL (and add a few more items myself), and am seeing some things that are going to make both Carl's work (in generating the summary) and those using the OLWLG harder...

* Lots of non-game items (ie. "outside the scope of bgg" and "misc game acc") do not have the +altname+ short title here -altname- OLWLG tag added to them. Please also keep that alt name short (saw one that was really long)... and also keep in mind that the OLWLG "consumes" the tag (ie. uses it for the name of the item, but strips it from the description or comment from where it picked it up).

* Those listing a shipping policy of something like "I'll cover the first $x of the shipping".... while Carl may not be requiring it, PLEASE state at least which country where the item will be shipping from. Remember that sadly the OLWLG can't get your location information from the BGG XML API, so anyone interested in your item will have to click on your username (the one that brings up your trading feedback) or the link to the actual GL item, to see your country flag.

Why does it matter? Even cross border shipping can be quite expensive. In one math trade the guy shipping from Canada to me in the States cost him almost US$30! And it wasn't even a big game (I'm not sure he used the most econmical way as I had to pick it up at the post office as signature was required).

Also I know some folks (including outside the USA) are offering items that they do not have in their position but plan to purchase and have shipped directly from a USA based online retailer. In those cases it's actually to your advantage to state it will be shipped from the USA as you'll likely have more folks putting those items on their want lists who otherwise had assumed, based on your country flag, that it was shipping overseas, and would therefore require us to pay for the difference in postage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
JeffyJeff wrote:
I'm still working on my taxes, but have taken some time to resync the OLWLG with the GL (and add a few more items myself), and am seeing some things that are going to make both Carl's work (in generating the summary) and those using the OLWLG harder...

* Lots of non-game items (ie. "outside the scope of bgg" and "misc game acc") do not have the +altname+ short title here -altname- OLWLG tag added to them. Please also keep that alt name short (saw one that was really long)... and also keep in mind that the OLWLG "consumes" the tag (ie. uses it for the name of the item, but strips it from the description or comment from where it picked it up).

* Those listing a shipping policy of something like "I'll cover the first $x of the shipping".... while Carl may not be requiring it, PLEASE state at least which country where the item will be shipping from. Remember that sadly the OLWLG can't get your location information from the BGG XML API, so anyone interested in your item will have to click on your username (the one that brings up your trading feedback) or the link to the actual GL item, to see your country flag.

Why does it matter? Even cross border shipping can be quite expensive. In one math trade the guy shipping from Canada to me in the States cost him almost US$30! And it wasn't even a big game (I'm not sure he used the most econmical way as I had to pick it up at the post office as signature was required).

Also I know some folks (including outside the USA) are offering items that they do not have in their position but plan to purchase and have shipped directly from a USA based online retailer. In those cases it's actually to your advantage to state it will be shipped from the USA as you'll likely have more folks putting those items on their want lists who otherwise had assumed, based on your country flag, that it was shipping overseas, and would therefore require us to pay for the difference in postage.
Quoted for excellent insight. I always miss that bit about shipping; I should make a note to require it next time around. If I get a chance I'll correct my own entries too.

And indeed, people, try to use some common sense on your altname usage. Your comments on the game will still show up no matter what, so just pick something snappy for the altname. Makes things easier.

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Taylor
United States
Camino
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: The Willow Game fanMicrobadge: Hangtown fanMicrobadge: HeroQuest fanMicrobadge: Werewolf fan
JeffyJeff wrote:
Caledor wrote:
I have a bunch of games that I have 2 or more copies of for trading. Should I list these more than once? Or is that not allowed?
As Dan said, you can list multiple copies you have of the same game as long as the rules for the given MT allow it (this one does).

However a warning though... this appears to be your 1st math trade.... and on top of that, you just registered here on the geek just nine (9) days ago... and you've added twenty (20) items for trade, some of them recent games, lots of them new in shrink. Needless to say being on the geek only 9 days you also have no trading feedback. And on one has you on their geekbuddy list.

I know the PC police may beat me down on this too, but to me this raises a red flag, or at least a yellow flag of caution. I'd love to put some of your items on my want lists, but I am a 1st born in my family :( What may help those of us who tend to be cautious is if you have gaming buddies on this site that may be able to vouch for you? Normally if you were making a direct trade with someone else, what folks sometimes agree to is that the 1st time trader ships 1st, and the other party only ships out after they've received the shipment (or sometimes will ship after receiving tracking information). That's kind of hard to do in a math trade because most trades are not direct...
Well I have already done 4 trades and my stuff has all been delivered. I left feedback for the games i got, I just haven't received any feedback yet. I sell these games on Amazon, so that's why I have multiple copies and they are all new.

I've been visiting this site for years. I just never felt any need to join, until 9 days ago, when I realized that you can trade games here.

I'm just hoping to score some nice older games in exchange for the new games that I get at discounts.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
[q="JeffyJeff"]Why does it matter? Even cross border shipping can be quite expensive. In one math trade the guy shipping from Canada to me in the States cost him almost US$30! And it wasn't even a big game (I'm not sure he used the most econmical way as I had to pick it up at the post office as signature was required).[q]

I think that for $30 the games must have been shipped ExpressPost (2-5 business day delivery). The majority of my trades have been to the US and my shipping has been in the range of $13 for small items to $27 for large items shipped Regular Parcel (9-14 business day delivery). The large items were quite heavy (2-3 TTR sized games).

For $30 shipping, the game must have been sent by Express Post (2-5 business day delivery), the most economical way is Regular Parcel (9-14 business day delivery). Most of my trades have been to the US and I have paid in the range of $12 for a smaller game (mutiny or shipwreck size) to $17 (Cash and Guns or TTR size) to the most I ever spent shipping was $27 and that included 3 large games.

It is only a fair bit more expensive for Canadians to ship to the US than to ship within Canada.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [35] |