Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys answer the same questions in every MT discussion thread.

It is very nice, friendly, and courteous of you, but please consider answering each question once in the wiki and referring repeated questions to the appropriate link. This helps all of us out in the long run.

Thanks!

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I've added another sweetener to Geeklist Item #929.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y Park
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I listed Last Night on Earth in the MT, and was asked whether it's first or second edition. I assumed second edition since the first edition sold out everywhere and I only got the game recently. However, there is no indication I can find on the box that makes clear it's the second edition.

Anybody know how to verify from the outside of the box whether the game is 1st or 2nd edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Taylor
United States
Camino
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: The Willow Game fanMicrobadge: Hangtown fanMicrobadge: HeroQuest fanMicrobadge: Werewolf fan
jpbartleby wrote:
I listed Last Night on Earth in the MT, and was asked whether it's first or second edition. I assumed second edition since the first edition sold out everywhere and I only got the game recently. However, there is no indication I can find on the box that makes clear it's the second edition.

Anybody know how to verify from the outside of the box whether the game is 1st or 2nd edition?

There is no second edition. They had a second shipment in November of 07, but it's exactly the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a little help.

A copy of "Mr. President" ('72 edition) and "Stocks & Bonds" ('68 edition) are currently sitting on my desk. Neither one was really my cup of tea, so I'd like to add them into the trade. I'm currently unsure of what condition rating to use. Up until now, all of the games I've posted in math trades have easily rated "very good" to "excellent". So, this is a first for me. Below is a quick overview of both. Any thoughts on what condition grade I should use?

Mr. President:

- Complete

- The outer sleeve has a bit of wear at the corners and a small dimple on the front right where you slide the box out.

- Appears to have suffered a bit of spotted discoloration due to storage. It can be found on the instructions, the voting box lid, the inside of the sleeve, and (thankfully) only a couple of cards.

- A previous owner also carved a small heart into one of the card slots. That's hardly noticeable and didn't damage the card tray. Nevermind.

Stocks & Bonds:

- Complete

- Outer sleeve definately shows wear, but the box and components appear almost brand new and unused (except for the one game I played). In fact, all of the original 3M catalogs are there.

Thanks!

-Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kidsplinter wrote:
Any thoughts on what condition grade I should use? -Nate
No need for a grade. That description does the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
No need for a grade. That description does the trick.
Alrighty. More than anything, I didn't want these to trade and have someone be disappointed by the condition.

Thanks for the help!

-Nate

(corrected a typo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Caledor wrote:
jpbartleby wrote:

There is no second edition. They had a second shipment in November of 07, but it's exactly the same.
I was the one who orginally asked that question. If it was just purchased, chances are it is the 2nd edition/printing.

However, if you go checkout the Last Night forum, you'll see that there IS a difference in the board printing. The pictures are there to prove it, and the publisher acknowledges the difference as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:English, Dutch, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: [Carl's quote was something to the effect that he expected over 17,000 entries - I didn't highlight something correctly.]

Are you going to have another prize offered to the trader who guesses most closely to the final number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
caltexn wrote:
Are you going to have another prize offered to the trader who guesses most closely to the final number?
Anyone can run such a contest... but please create a separate thread for the guessing contest (but obviously provide a link to that thread from this thread) so it doesn't clog up this thread.

Hope everyone got their taxes filed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first math trade and something is baffling me. Why are such a large percentage of the games still in shrink wrap? I buy a game, I open it, and then I play it. Many people also seem to have multiple copies of the same game. Are you all in the industry or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shrimple wrote:
This is my first math trade and something is baffling me. Why are such a large percentage of the games still in shrink wrap? I buy a game, I open it, and then I play it. Many people also seem to have multiple copies of the same game. Are you all in the industry or something?
Some people have extras laying around. Some people are incapable of saying no to Tanga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shrimple wrote:
Sometimes they're gifts. Sometimes they're sweeteners (extras) from previous trades or online game store specials (Tanga is a very common source for these). Some come from second hand stores (yes, you can find games in shrink there occasionally) and some come directly from stores just for the express purpose of trading, the theory being that if you get a deal on a game you don't want you can trade it for one you do and still come out ahead (relatively speaking).

Personally, I always found the idea of buying new games for Math Trading to be a bit odd (if not a bit tacky) until I found a local hobby shop that just happens to have a back room filled with old out of print games offered at their original eighties prices. It's like some kind of bizarre retail museum. The titles don't really appeal to me, but they're cheap and I figure they're somebody's grail game, so every Math Trade now I put a couple in.

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble with buying games online from places like Tanga just for trading is that sometimes (perhaps often) people seem to forget to take shipping into account.

Buying a game for $10 or less is great. Especially if it costs $20 elsewhere. But then you pay some shipping. Then when you trade it in a math trade for a $20-25 game, and pay $9 to ship it priority mail (for instance), you've probably just broken even or perhaps gone to all of that effort to save a few dollars. Now if you're lucky enough to turn that cheap find into a more valuable game, then it's really worked out for you. But for most, it really hasn't.

There's no harm in any of it, IMO. That being said, the noise level from these does tend to get a bit high sometimes...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. H.
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shrimple wrote:
A big reason so many in shrink games are in Math Trades (Alternatively titled: Patterns of the crack addiction that is board game buying and trading-- a cautionary fable for the new hobbyist):

Sometimes you read and read about a game on bgg and it sounds great; you think, "zombie I muuuuuuustttt own this game zombie" and so, even though last Monday when that big BoardsandBits box arrived at your doorstep and you promised yourself, your spouse and your neighbor's dog that you wouldn't get any more games for three months, you go ahead and order it.

But.... you have to order 4 more with it, and 2 fillers too-- because of course, if you only order one you won't get free shipping and that would be like wasting eight or nine whole dollars!

At the same time, everyone else in your game group reads about ten other games that excite them. And so of course they order those... and 4 more with it, and 2 fillers too, because-- although you love them and you hate to even think this about them let alone say it out loud-- your game buddies have no self-discipline. Didn't they just promise that they wouldn't order any more games for three months?

Now, as a group you play a few times a month, but it seems that every month everyone has 5 cool new games they just got, oh yeah, and you have to make time to get old favorites to the table too. So you play Bob's new "LoAndYonderTheMedievalKing'sArchitect" and Joe's new "DeadlyNinjaDiceChucker" and sadly your own brand-new cool "Die mittlere Pinguin Tänze und baut Zug Routen zu Verdammnis" that you just got and cannot wait to play, well it sits in shrink sad and unplayed.... for.... a.... long.... long.... time.

And so it goes month after month until you wake up one morning and realize you have 25 (25? Ha! All addicts are liars! 35!) games in shrink on your shelf and you say to yourself: "Self! OMG @%^@%^@ and %^@$%^@; I have 15 %#^#&#^&#%^ games still in shrink sitting there unplayed!"

Meanwhile, Joe from your group just got "Die mittlere Pinguin Tänze und baut Zug Routen zu Verdammnis" in a Math Trade ("played gently 2x, slight shelf wear.")

You are thrilled about Joe's trade, because now-- nine months later (with it still in shrink on your shelf)-- that game is so "yawn-Da-Pillers-of-Cayla-cola-mechanic which is just so tired-yawn." So, with one eye on the Math Trade that just started and already has four hundred games listed, you call Joe and say, "Hey! Bring "Die mittlere Pinguin Tänze und baut Zug Routen zu Verdammnis" this weekend and we'll get it to the table!!!!"

And sure enough you get it to the table. And you know what, the game is ok. Not great. Or rather, and possibly: you know what, that game is great. See, it doesn't really matter if you like a little or like it a lot. You know why? Because there is a math trade going on with two (two!) copies (one in shrink!!) of the A-W-E-S-O-M-E and OOP title: "Indonesian Roads of Antiquity." And heck, now that Joe has a copy of "Die mittlere Pinguin Tänze und baut Zug Routen zu Verdammnis," if you want to play it again you can just ask Joe to bring his copy.

Yeah, that old thing "Die mittlere Pinguin" is just taking up valuable shelf space and collecting dust. Better to get a game that you'll really play; besides clearclaw pointed out in his game comments that the hidden but trackable information in this dog really ruins the whole experience. And so it goes, and you list six in shrink games in the Math Trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I'm screwed!Microbadge: Registered Trademark
jdludlow wrote:
Some people have extras laying around. Some people are incapable of saying no to Tanga Pozy.
Fixed.

And what is this "ennn ohhh" you speak of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:English, Dutch, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anyone can run such a contest... but please create a separate thread for the guessing contest (but obviously provide a link to that thread from this thread) so it doesn't clog up this thread.
That's fine, but we'll need Carl to give us an update somewhere close to the end like he did last time so we will all be in the ballpark. I'm not in the trade yet, but thinking of joining. Still recovering from all those shipping charges last time...

Quote:
Hope everyone got their taxes filed!
Barely made it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PLEASE STAND BY FOR AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM YOUR MODERATOR

I just checked a few moments ago, and we're at 1610 entries in this math trade. That means we've got the second-largest math trade in 'Geek history on our hands! (I'll admit I was hoping to see the venerable Cabin Fever knocked down from its pedestal, but there's time for that in the future...)

Remember that the submission period ends tomorrow at 5pm MST/PDT. I'll have the official summary shortly after that (thanks, Jeff). At that point I'll explain how I expect want lists to be sent to me.

Finally, I'll be sending out a GeekMail soon with a few reminders, just to catch the people who don't always check this thread. The list of people will be based on the most recent snapshot of Jeff's list, so it might miss a small handful of people--so if you don't get the GeekMail, don't fret too much.

Thanks, everyone, for participating.

EDIT: Wow...forum subscriptions are working wacky for me. I didn't know about the last ten messages or so. Sorry about that. If anyone wants to run a contest, that's fine. I'd like to enter, though, this time around, so I'll do so before I get any want lists in. And yes--do it in a separate thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tweetlebeetle wrote:
"Die mittlere Pinguin Tänze und baut Zug Routen zu Verdammnis"
Friggin' Brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but you can check your listed items quickly by going to My Geek, then Contributions tab, then Geek List items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
starspangledgirl wrote:
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but you can check your listed items quickly by going to My Geek, then Contributions tab, then Geek List items.
Yup--I put that in the GeekMail I sent everyone. I've found it most useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
tweetlebeetle wrote:
Wait a minute, that game is not in the database. Besides, who would play or trade a game called "The Middle Penguin Dancing around the Train Route unto Condemnation"???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:
Unfortunately, that's not very useful. It doesn't tell me on which page my item appears, nor does it tell me what # my item is, nor does it have a link to the appropriate place in the geeklist where my item appears.

Instead, it just has a link to the first page of the geeklist and to the game page.

So I'd say the GeekList Contributions thing is nearly useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TheCat wrote:
starspangledgirl wrote:
Unfortunately, that's not very useful. It doesn't tell me on which page my item appears, nor does it tell me what # my item is, nor does it have a link to the appropriate place in the geeklist where my item appears.

Instead, it just has a link to the first page of the geeklist and to the game page.

So I'd say the GeekList Contributions thing is nearly useless.
It's most useful to find out if anyone has commented on your entry, and to see at a glance all of your listings on one page (if, like many of us, your entries span a few pages). It's not entirely useless. If you use the OLWLG, you can click the green double arrow to go right to your entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caltexn wrote:
Quote:
tweetlebeetle wrote:
Wait a minute, that game is not in the database. Besides, who would play or trade a game called "The Middle Penguin Dancing around the Train Route unto Condemnation"???
The endgame is a little fiddly, but how many penguin games do you know that scale well from 2-9 players and can be played in 30 minutes?

Good luck getting me to trade my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [35] |