Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
So I'd say the GeekList Contributions thing is nearly useless.
I agree some links are missing (they used to be there I think before Aldie rewrote the geeklist system, and I believe some of us have reported it, but ...)

However it is useful to see if someone has left a comment on your item(s)... and if they did, you can from there directly reply to the comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
There's no harm in any of it, IMO. That being said, the noise level from these does tend to get a bit high sometimes...shake
Your 'In-Demand' trade did a good job of cutting this down significantly.

Twice a year event, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Queen Games Lancaster Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Queen Games "Urbanization" Contest participantMicrobadge: Ares Games "Age of Conan" Contest participantMicrobadge: Queen Games Kingdom Builder Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Sirlin Games Yomi Contest participant
caltexn wrote:
Quote:
tweetlebeetle wrote:
"Die mittlere Pinguin Tänze und baut Zug Routen zu Verdammnis"
Wait a minute, that game is not in the database. Besides, who would play or trade a game called "The Middle Penguin Dancing around the Train Route unto Condemnation"???
I'm sure I rated it last week (gave it 7 because I didn't have many of those!). I also modded 4 photos of the game - one with cat, one with child, one with underside of box and one with a Mongolian variant of the dead penguin.

So don't you dare say that one of my all time favourite games is not in the data base!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Springtime Math Trade discussion thread - what's with the micro geekgold items?
I'm seeing lots of geek gold offerings in the sub-60gg catagory

Folks, keep in mind that the value of geek gold is between 7 to 9 geek gold per US$, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/304153

So for someone to put some of these small geek gold items on their want lists for a real item they have, it would have to be something relatively low value to being with, and cost relatively little to ship, or so I would think?

Even at the 7gg/US$ rate, 45gg for example is worth only $6.42

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

Folks, keep in mind that the value of geek gold is between 7 to 9 geek gold per US$, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/304153

So for someone to put some of these small geek gold items on their want lists for a real item they have, it would have to be something relatively low value to being with, and cost relatively little to ship, or so I would think?

How is this any different than the endless copies of Saga and Relationship Tightrope that together are barely worth their shipping cost? Or Vegas Showdown, or Hollywood Blockbuster, etc.

The system is self-correcting, because of the want lists. Maybe there's a market for low-end items like Tanga garbage and small GG sums. It's one of the things that is cool about these free-for-all trades; there are many different angles that people approach it from.

I think it's interesting anyway. I can't be the only one who approaches math trades like a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

How is this any different than the endless copies of Saga and Relationship Tightrope that together are barely worth their shipping cost? Or Vegas Showdown, or Hollywood Blockbuster, etc.
I think you miss the point of my post... I think a lot of folks aren't aware of the value of geek gold so was trying to provide that information.

And it is different because the gg/$ exchange rate is relatively well known.

The value of the games you list is quite a bit different because you are trying to compare the cost others paid for them, with what they are worth.

1st even assuming that's what they are worth, then the value of Vegas Showdown and Hollywood Blockbuster past the cost of shipping them (at least within the USA).

2nd, it's not what someone paid for them, but what it would cost someone else who is interested in those games to buy them now. Even here on BGG where a lot of Tanga/Pozy/B&N/etc items end up the lowest price in the marketplace for Hollywood Blockbuster is $14+$9ship=$23. That's why that game and others keep trading.

Regarding Tightrope and Saga... the vast majority of them in this MT are being offered as sweeteners or in combinations. Again look to see what it would cost you to try to out right buy them. Tightrope someone has for $4+ship, and Saga is $5+ship. In my case I'm offering Tightrope/Saga together with a Tanga t-shirt for those interested in being walking advertisements, and another set of Tightrope/Saga together with Hive, Slide 5, and Perudo.

I do agree it's unlikely the 2 or 3 Tightrope's or Saga's that are being offered solo will be wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And one more thing to think about that Jeff did not mention involving the "value" of Tanga games. Tanga will not ship to our friends in the great white north (Canada for you geographically challenged), so the demand for the Tanga games is usually greater from those outside of the US, and there are several regular Canadian math trade participants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Queen Games Lancaster Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Queen Games "Urbanization" Contest participantMicrobadge: Ares Games "Age of Conan" Contest participantMicrobadge: Queen Games Kingdom Builder Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Sirlin Games Yomi Contest participant
JeffyJeff wrote:

Agree with what you say, but another simple reason why people may want small amounts of GG is because they ain't got none now! If you are desperate for that avatar or badge and you haven't got real cash to splash around, then the opportunity to dump an unwanted game for a tangible amount of GG, however, small, may be just the ticker. Exchange rates just don't come into it.

As others have said, it's whatever stirs your porridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I support the Women and Gaming communityMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: bounceMicrobadge: Box Fart
FYI, I've added sweeteners to Geeklist Item 225.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about the Linear Priorities. From what I can gather, the format is:

XXXXX-MyGame: XXXXX-Game1 XXXXX-Game2; XXXXX-Game3; XXXXX-Game4

(Where X's represent numbers.)

This would mean that Game1 and Game2 are tied for my highest priority, Game3 is the next tier down, and Game4 is the next tier below that. Is that correct?

Also, can I do something like this:

XXXXX-MyGame: XXXXX-Game1; ; ; ; XXXXX-Game2; ; ; ; XXXXX-Game3

so that Game1 is my highest priority (Tier 1) Game2 is my second highest priority, but is in Tier 5 so because I think it is that much less desirable than Game1 and Game3 is in Tier 9? Does that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/TradeMaximizer#toc4

game1 and game2 aren't tied... game2 is one SMALL-STEP higher in value (which is lower priority) than game1... and the value for game3 is going to be one SMALL-STEP *plus* one BIG-STEP... etd

Most folks aren't going to really want to lower the priority that much (ie. use ;'s for big-step's)... you are basically yielding saying it's ok for someone else to trade than yourself in the case of what would have been a tie.
Vydar wrote:
I have a question about the Linear Priorities. From what I can gather, the format is:

XXXXX-MyGame: XXXXX-Game1 XXXXX-Game2; XXXXX-Game3; XXXXX-Game4

(Where X's represent numbers.)

This would mean that Game1 and Game2 are tied for my highest priority, Game3 is the next tier down, and Game4 is the next tier below that. Is that correct?

Also, can I do something like this:

XXXXX-MyGame: XXXXX-Game1; ; ; ; XXXXX-Game2; ; ; ; XXXXX-Game3

so that Game1 is my highest priority (Tier 1) Game2 is my second highest priority, but is in Tier 5 so because I think it is that much less desirable than Game1 and Game3 is in Tier 9? Does that work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Swanson
United States
Maplewood
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question.

I have 10 games listed to trade. I want to make sure or at least increase my chances at obtaining a cetain game.

Can I list that certain game as my #1 on several if not all of my games?

Will I possibly get multiple copies of the same game or does the program check for that and make sure I just get one copy?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbuckingham wrote:
And one more thing to think about that Jeff did not mention involving the "value" of Tanga games. Tanga will not ship to our friends in the great white north (Canada for you geographically challenged), so the demand for the Tanga games is usually greater from those outside of the US, and there are several regular Canadian math trade participants.

Exactly!!!!!! But if the Tanga traders arn't willing to ship the Canada then ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mariners95 wrote:
Can I list that certain game as my #1 on several if not all of my games?

Will I possibly get multiple copies of the same game or does the program check for that and make sure I just get one copy?
Obviously each item in the math trade can only trade at most once max... so any number of folks can list the same item on their want lists.

If however when you mean a certain game (vs. a certain copy being offered)... and you directly list multiple copies on more than one of your want lists... then yes, you could end up receiving more than one copy.

the solution.... use duplicate protection, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/TradeMaximizer#toc5

edit: just to be clear... it's only an issue if you have more than item in the math trade...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell a newbie why there are so many copies being offered of very highly ranked games like Ra and Hollywood Blockbuster but not others? Lets say I have 1 game to trade and I list 5 unique games I'll accept. If I then add the 10 copies of Ra to my want list, does that mean my odds of getting Ra are 10 times more likely than any other game? Are there any guidelines on how many games (unique or otherwise) I should list on my want list to ensure I get something? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uberplay was clearing out those two titles at a very good discount on their www.tanga.com website.

Obviously the more different copies of the same game you put on your want list, the more likely that's what you'll end up trading your game for (if it trades at all). The fewer copies you put though, the less chance you'll end up trading your game at all.

You can order your want lists to give preference but the trade finder is 1st going to max out the number of items overall traded, so it's quite possible the item you have last on your want list will be the one you end up trading for.

Not just general, but absolute rule is to NEVER put anything on your want list that you would not be happy to receive in trade for your item.
shrimple wrote:
Can anyone tell a newbie why there are so many copies being offered of very highly ranked games like Ra and Hollywood Blockbuster but not others? Lets say I have 1 game to trade and I list 5 unique games I'll accept. If I then add the 10 copies of Ra to my want list, does that mean my odds of getting Ra are 10 times more likely than any other game? Are there any guidelines on how many games (unique or otherwise) I should list on my want list to ensure I get something? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dany Simard
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patt wrote:
mbuckingham wrote:

Exactly!!!!!! But if the Tanga traders arn't willing to ship the Canada then ...
:-) Pat you read in my mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I used the OLWLG, and now I've got my list - in Table and Summary format. Neither looks to be appropriate to copy/paste into a GeekMail. Is there any way to get the list in "single line per game" format for pasting into the GeekMail to moderator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until lot names are assigned to each item, which can't be done until after the geeklist is locked down, there is no way to generate the official format want lists for submitting (either by the OLWLG for for those composing them by hand for that matter).

Actually lot names could be assigned before hand... the problem is that most math trades the ordinal position geeklist item number is used as part of the lot name, and if an item does happen to be deleted, that causes a renumbering. I did run one math trade once where instead of the changable ordinal geeklist item numbers, I used the unique non-changable geeklist item identifier. Those are fine if the OLWLG was required, but is confusing for non-OLWLG users.
TheCat wrote:
So, I used the OLWLG, and now I've got my list - in Table and Summary format. Neither looks to be appropriate to copy/paste into a GeekMail. Is there any way to get the list in "single line per game" format for pasting into the GeekMail to moderator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh - I see - he changed the closing time in the GeekList but not at the start of this thread. It was originally 5pm PDT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Oh - I see - he changed the closing time in the GeekList but not at the start of this thread. It was originally 5pm PDT.
It's also only Wednesday, not Thursday just yet (not even here on the East coast )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Update about item #1610 Knight Hawks.

I have counted the chits. Of the 285 chits (according to the back of the box) there are 967! Oh, and I'm missing the two ten sided dice.

I still believe the game to be complete (save the ten siders, but I think you can find a pair of them). There was a black hex map in the box that I don't think is part of the game, but I'm leaving it and the 682 extra chits in the box.. consider them sweetners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

Agree with what you say, but another simple reason why people may want small amounts of GG is because they ain't got none now! If you are desperate for that avatar or badge and you haven't got real cash to splash around, then the opportunity to dump an unwanted game for a tangible amount of GG, however, small, may be just the ticker. Exchange rates just don't come into it.
Unless you have some method of shipping packages for free, you will end up paying more for shipping than if you just bought the GG straight up in the marketplace. $5 gets you 35gg. Why would anyone give away a game and pay for the shipping just to get 40-50gg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TheCat wrote:
I think Jeff essentially answered this, but yes--we still have around 20 hours to go. I double-checked, and the GeekList matches the thread, if not letter-by-letter then in substance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [35] |