Subject: Waikiki game stores? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm going to Waikiki Hawaii for vacation. Does anyone know of any cool games stores there? Any other cool geek points of interest?

Thanks,
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hills
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armchair Adventurer
1199 Dillingham Boulevard Spc C106,
Honolulu, HI 96817
(808) 843-1250

Jelly's the Original
98-023 Hekaha Street Suite 9,
Aiea, HI 96701
(808) 484-4413

Other Realms
(808) 596-8236
Honolulu, HI 96813
http://www.other-realms.biz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Armchair Adventurer has moved:

1287 Kalani St Ste 105
Honolulu, HI 96817
(808) 843-1250

The owner is named Glen and he is a nice guy. It is a funky place, with games and miniatures stacked to the ceiling, but can be fun to hunt around for the rare treasure.

Gecko Books also has a good selection:

1151 12th Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 732-1292

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fink
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not been to the Armchair Adventures store, but the Outer Worlds and Jelly's are pretty sad places to find board games. The only thing they both tend to stock are out of print, low quality titles.

Thoughthammer has been my Hawaiian gaming outlet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Armchair Adventurer and Gecko Books are the 2 best places. I do my share of online shopping as well, but give local stores business from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Brum
United States
Ewa Beach
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThoughtHammer.com has been my hawaiian game store too...meeple

I'm still amazed how much care and how well they pack the games. I never received a game with a dent or scratch, and probably never will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you guys find Thoughthammer's shipping policies to Hawaii to be a little "prohibitive", especially when you can often get free shipping on items from Amazon? I mean, I looked at ordering from them once and the cost of the shipping was nearly the same as the cost of the item...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Brum
United States
Ewa Beach
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
Don't you guys find Thoughthammer's shipping policies to Hawaii to be a little "prohibitive", especially when you can often get free shipping on items from Amazon? I mean, I looked at ordering from them once and the cost of the shipping was nearly the same as the cost of the item...

Each month ThoughtHammer refunds me about half the shipping costs I was charged for the orders I placed that month. They told me that the software they're using reflects Hawaii with an "international" shipping rate, instead of a U.S. shipping rate. Their accounting department each month audits their books and notifies me via email they're refunding my credit card for the shipping overpayment charged. Which seems to almost half the original shipping quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fink
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeed. Nearly half of the shipping does get refunded. Amazon doesn't usually carry the titles I want for free shipping anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Ingalls
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
The Armchair Adventurer has moved:

1287 Kalani St Ste 105
Honolulu, HI 96817
(808) 843-1250

The owner is named Glen and he is a nice guy. It is a funky place, with games and miniatures stacked to the ceiling, but can be fun to hunt around for the rare treasure.

The Armchair Adventurer is designed like an antique store. It is total chaos. When you find what you are looking for it is like finding the pure treasure in a pile of junk. Only AA doesn't have a bunch of junk, so you are finding treasure after treasure. Glen is really nice, if not organized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Ingalls
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TileGrout wrote:

Thoughthammer has been my Hawaiian gaming outlet.

I've used Boards & Bits since moving here. Their customer service is top notch and they ship USPS, which saves some money. I'm really satisfied with them. Because of shipping buying games in Hawaii is definitely something you've got to do in bulk. It is that first game that costs so much. After that the shipping on each game is pretty reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls