Subject: Shout out to the best FLGS in Utah Valley rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Nielsen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
So awhile ago I posted a request for recommendations about what I should buy with my Make-A-Wish shopping spree. I'm sorta sporadically active around here, so I never really got a chance to thank everybody for their awesome ideas (many of which I purchased) But anyways, that's not the point of this thread.

I wanna say thank you to the game store where I did all of my shopping. I live in the Orem/Provo area in UT and there are two really well known game stores, but honestly they're pretty average. If you're a true geek in this area you should really check out Boardgame Revolution. They've got a website with a pretty modest selection, but the actual brick and mortar store is a geek's dream. They've got prices that compare with the online discounters. In fact, when you factor in shipping, they're probably better. They're also the only store I know of that lets you rent games, then put the rental price towards the purchase of any game at the store!

The guys that work there are awesome. They know their stuff and generally have great recommendations. When they found out I was coming in there on my shopping spree they contacted lots of game publishers and got me about 10 free games(for anybody who's curious I might write up a geeklist later with the stuff I got.) You can become a member at their store and rent the stuff for free (at least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works). Seriously, if you live in Utah County, check this place out. It's kind of hard to find (it's in the basement of an obscure business park) but it's completely worth it. Sadly, they don't have a gaming area (not enough space) but everything else about Boardgame Revolution is excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory G
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't agree more!! I drive from Lehi a couple times a month to visit Boardgame Revolution. It's by far the best FLGS in Utah County!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atomic_Zen wrote:
Sadly, they don't have a gaming area (not enough space) but everything else about Boardgame Revolution is excellent!
They will soon be moving to a new location with more gaming space. But even now there is enough space for their once a week game night on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. Come check it out!

Disclaimer: I do not work for BGR but have instructed several friends to shop there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I am awaited in Valhalla!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Their other store in Murray does have some tables set up for play but unfortunately they are only open three days of the week. I can say that the Murray Boardgame Revolution guys are also very friendly and helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever purchased things from their side of the road tent sales by Riviera/Glenwood apartments, but the selection and prices were excellent.

I can't really speak highly of the Murray store, though. It had a very poor selection compared to Orem, and it smelled terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I am awaited in Valhalla!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Valid points. You may be right about the smell. While the selection in the store is not as large, they are more than willing to bring any game in stock at the Utah Valley Store up to the Murray Store by the next business day. They have done this for me a couple of times and I've been very appreciative of this as I would rather not make the trip down to Utah (happy) Valley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been to the Utah Valley store (it would require a trip to Utah Valley gulp) but the Murray store is really nice. I didn't notice the smell but then usually when I go in there I've just eaten at the nearby Mexican place and all I can smell is delicious tacos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from game night there. Played Inca Empire and Innovation for the first time. Inca Empire was a bit of a let down. Innovation was fun and, well, innovative. But BGR is a really good place to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beisaic wrote:
I've only ever purchased things from their side of the road tent sales by Riviera/Glenwood apartments, but the selection and prices were excellent.

I can't really speak highly of the Murray store, though. It had a very poor selection compared to Orem, and it smelled terrible.

Since this post, I've been to the Murray store a few times. It has improved, and the smell is gone. Selection seems like it has also equalized between the two stores. So now I have no complaint against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Beisaic wrote:
Since this post, I've been to the Murray store a few times. It has improved, and the smell is gone. Selection seems like it has also equalized between the two stores. So now I have no complaint against them.
Isn't the Murray store closed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
Beisaic wrote:
Isn't the Murray store closed?

Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! I forced them to close with my negative comment above!

I think the last time I was there was October of last year, so I hadn't realized they were done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not shop at BGR since sell games myself and don't like helping the competition, but I can definitely vouch for one of their employees. My cousin Joseph is top-notch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wheeler
United States
North Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
Is BGR still open anywhere? And failing that, is there a store that either has used games or discounted games in the salt lake/Provo area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls