Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be spending two weeks in San Francisco and I'm hoping to pick up World at War: Eisenbach Gap and maybe some other interesting games while I'm there.

Can anyone suggest some good local game stores?

Cheers,

Matt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the GamestgoreDB.com search page for San Francisco:

http://www.gamestoredb.com/?addr=San+Francisco&c=plugin&p=&p...

On the list the best 3 in order of ease to get/selection (though all three are very good) to are:

- Endgame in Oakland (2 blocks from 12th ST. BART Station)
- Gamescape in SF
- Gator Games in San Mateo (definitely need a car to get here)

If you are out here at the end of May, go to Kublacon which is held May 23-26. Dirk & Aldie will be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fassio
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have some free time I would suggest checking out Endgame in Oakland, CA. Knowledgeable staff, great selection, and lots of space upstairs for miniature and board games. It is also very accessible from BART (our version of the Underground).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Otterdance wrote:
I'm going to be spending two weeks in San Francisco and I'm hoping to pick up World at War: Eisenbach Gap and maybe some other interesting games while I'm there.

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt, welcome, (soon), to America. There are several game stores from which to choose, however, IMHO. Engame towers regally high above the rest. Not only that, but from the sound of it you are a wargamer. If you are planning to be in the area on the 1st, or 3rd Sunday, we have a friendly wargaming group that meets from 10-5 and ably 'gets our war on'.

If you'd like to hear more, let me know, and I can give you greater details.

Cheers,

Will Green
Alamda, CA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I was traveling in the Bay Area just last week, and saw WaW:EG at Games of Berkeley, which is in a much more interesting neighborhood than Endgame. Easy to get to, also -- right across the street from the Berkeley BART station.

Maybe it is because I work in downtown Oakland when I am in the Bay Area, and it's charms are spoiled for me by work-related issues, but I wouldn't wish downtown Oakland on any touring visitor. Endgame is nice, but other than that, you are in Oaktown, baby, which has (and needs) a very high police/pedestrian ratio. It's depressing.

In any event, I would definitely contact the store(s) in advance of your arrival, to make sure that they have what you are looking for (or will order it for you). There was only one copy of WaW:EG at Games of Berkeley when I was there, and none at Endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hansell
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Remediator wrote:
Endgame is nice, but other than that, you are in Oaktown, baby, which has (and needs) a very high police/pedestrian ratio. It's depressing.
Hey wait! I live in Oakland and it rocks. It is definately gritty but you have a ton of artists and very interesting folks who cannot afford to live in SF over here! Maybe it helps to be green with big teeth!

BUT - much more on topic. Endgame in Oakland has a wonderful play environment and it is usually full of folks playing games. Check out the calendar to make sure you go on the right day so your types of games are being played.

Games of Berkeley is also a super store and is in a great area for food. (Jayakarta for Indonesian is excellent) Both of these stores are on the same BART route so you can go from one to the other in about 10 min. You would not go wrong by visiting both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otterdance wrote:

Cheers,

Matt.

Gamescape North in San Rafael. About 15 miles north of Golden Gate. The two owners and people that go there, like myself, are really cool and they have a game night every Thursday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help guys.

I'll definitely check out Gamescape in SF, Endgame and Games of Berkeley. San Raphel and San Mateo are both possible, but our time with a car will be limited so I might not make it to either Gator or Gamescape.

I visited Games of Berkeley when I was out there in 2001, though my tastes were a little different back then and I don't have a clear memory of what they stocked. I seem to remember buying a couple of Cheapass games and playing them around the corner in one of the cafes/bars.

And thanks for the offer of some of gaming, which I'll probably have to pass on. I'll be on holiday with my girlfriend and although she enjoys a bit of gaming I don't think she'd be too delighted to meet up with some random bearded folk to plays games (I'm picturing everyone with beards at the moment for some unknown reason). But stranger things have happened so I won't entirely rule it out.

Once again, cheers for all the help.

Matt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otterdance wrote:
I don't think she'd be too delighted to meet up with some random bearded folk to plays games (I'm picturing everyone with beards at the moment for some unknown reason)

I HAUNT YOUR EVERY WAKING HOUR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
I HAUNT YOUR EVERY WAKING HOUR.

Andy's beard hides the sorrow of losing yet another wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was most amused to see the following thread in General Gaming:

Moved: San Francisco