BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Good Calgary Stores? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Megan Allyson
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi there,
I just moved to Calgary, Ab, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good specialty game stores in town. I'm hoping to get a couple harder to find games for my sister, but I haven't been able to find anything more than the usual at any stores I've been to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipped from another post:

Quote:
Mike A wrote:
If you've never been to The Sentry Box, you must go there. It's the game store against which I compare all others, and all others I've seen fall short. The prices aren't great, but it's been around a long time and is a really nice setup.

When I lived in Calgary, I would also shop at Revolution Games & Music. They often had better prices, were closer to my house and were very friendly - a good place to buy games but without the space to hang out and play them like Sentry Box has.

http://revolution-games.com/shop/

It's been a couple of years since I've been to Calgary, though, so my advice may be dated.
Mike's comments are spot on. For selection - you simply can't beat The Sentry Box. It's definitely a gamer store. For non-gamers, I generally recommend Revolution Games as the setting and prices are a little less intimidating.
You should also check out the Calgary Boardgamers Meetup and the Fallcon Gaming Convention in September.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baldboy_1 wrote:
Clipped from another post:

Quote:
Mike A wrote:
If you've never been to The Sentry Box, you must go there. It's the game store against which I compare all others, and all others I've seen fall short. The prices aren't great, but it's been around a long time and is a really nice setup.

When I lived in Calgary, I would also shop at Revolution Games & Music. They often had better prices, were closer to my house and were very friendly - a good place to buy games but without the space to hang out and play them like Sentry Box has.

http://revolution-games.com/shop/

It's been a couple of years since I've been to Calgary, though, so my advice may be dated.
Mike's comments are spot on. For selection - you simply can't beat The Sentry Box. It's definitely a gamer store. For non-gamers, I generally recommend Revolution Games as the setting and prices are a little less intimidating.
You should also check out the Calgary Boardgamers Meetup and the Fallcon Gaming Convention in September.
That's just what I would say

Take him up on the Calgary Boardgamers Meetup invitation. Jasen has a good thing going there with lots of nice people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiki Girl
Canada
flag msg tools
I've also heard that there might be a new game store opening up on the U of C Campus, right by this really good Asian food place that I've been to...I can't remember the name, but I'll find out more and re-post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Myth Games also has a reasonably good selection. Cory is pretty good about special ordering items as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kikigirl wrote:
I've also heard that there might be a new game store opening up on the U of C Campus, right by this really good Asian food place that I've been to...I can't remember the name, but I'll find out more and re-post.
There's a *good* asian food place on campus? Wow, things must have changed since I graduated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls