Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just wanted to let anyone who is interested know that

Maxx Collectables
2067 Portage Ave
Winnipeg
(832-3306)

is carrying board games. They have a website too, but I haven't checked it out yet - http://www.maxxcollectables.com

I was there today. Their selection is somewhat limited, but the games they stock are the right ones -- titles that are harder to find in Wpg. Apparently their selection is growing and they seem to be more than willing to bring in anything they don't have in stock. Their prices are really reasonable... I picked up Twilight Imperium 3rd Ed, and the Shattered Empire expansion, which I was about to order online. Almost all of my purchases have been online in the past, but once I factored in shipping I found it was a better deal in the store, and I didn't have to wait a week or two to get it delivered.

The owner is super friendly and helpful, and frankly seemed downright genuine; something that I haven't experienced at the other 'brick and mortars' in the city. Seems like a great guy. I spent about an hour just chatting with him about the business, games, etc., and he seems to have the right attitude about things like mark up and supporting the geek scene in our little town.

The store hosts gaming on Sunday afternoon.

I hope people will support this guy and buy games here if they can. I know this is a pretty glowing recommendation, but it was nice to deal with someone that was actually interested in the experience I had in his shop, something I haven't experienced at some other stores in town (i.e. - he actually got out from behind the till, brought out open boxes of games for me to check out components, answered my questions, and checked to see how much games I mentioned would be to bring in), and I like the idea of being able to go to an actual store and look at the actual games, and if I want, buy them right then and there.

Support the locals, especially when they deserve it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Stevenson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'll be up in Winnipeg in a month to visit my folks. I might try and stop by.

Thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trampas Johnson
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also pick up your registration numbers for PrairieCon there! But hurry.. Saturday's the last day for registration!

Please come! We need as many people as we can get! I want to play lots of games!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Stevenson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
HallandOatBran wrote:

Please come! We need as many people as we can get! I want to play lots of games!!
I would, but I don't get into town until the 16th of June. That's a real shame, too, because I'll be staying at my Mom's house in Portage la Prairie, which is just an hour from Brandon.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Schultz
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to add my two cents to this. Maxx is a great place to buy games. As my comic store of choice I'm there quite often. Garth (the owner) is an awesome guy and as the original poster said is one of the few retailers who I genuinely trust. The prices I feel are on par with other stores and he also has a great selection of graphic novels, sculptures and figures. I'm thinking of heading down tomorrow for my first dose of Sunday gaming.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls