Subject: Board game retailers in Croydon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patryk Grzesik
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm visiting friends of mine in Croydon this July and going to do some shopping as well. Do you know any board and card game shops in this area?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I know of (and bear in mind that I haven't lived there in years so it might not still be open) is A Place in Space down Church Street. They did comics, cards and roleplaying stuff last I was there but (if they're still around) I imagine that they've evloved a bit since then. As to anything else Croydon was always a bit of a wasteland really. There was APiS, a Games Workshop and a Forbidden PLanet and that was pretty much it. You might be better travelling into central London on the train and visiting some places like Leisure Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be a slog to get from Croydon to Finchley. But it is just 30 minutes by train into Victoria, so combine a day trip to London with visits to Playin' Games on Museum Street and Orc's Nest on Cambridge Circus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Jeffery
United Kingdom
Horsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
also, the forbidden planet on shaftsbury avenue does boardgames too (small selection, but they are there) downstairs. I don't know about the one in croydon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Planet in Croydon has very little in the way of games, in fact gaming wise it has very little at all.
As per the other comment, go to London and Playin Games and Orcs Nest.
Or go to Aldershot and Esdevium games
Is there a London store for Esdevium at
27, 28 Eastcastle Street, London W1W 8DH?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Ottery
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't been up there myself recently, but reports suggest that Playin' Games is nowhere near as good as it used to be - a much reduced level of stock and range available. But I can't confirm this myself as I've not been up there in well over a year.

Another alternative in central London is Orc's Nest at Cambridge Circus, but I've never personally been fond of the shop as a place to visit - it's a bit cliquey for my tastes.

I can vouch for Leisure, but as pointed out, it's a bit of a trek across to Finchley.

As for heading out to Aldershot and the games shop there, again a good range, but I'd've thought the journey from Croydon to Aldershot wouldn't be a straight train run. Driving would likely be OK though.

However, if you're considering heading out from Croydon as far as Aldershot, Reading is also a viable alternative - we (Eclectic Games) are literally just opposite the main station, and there's a pretty decent range on our shelves. If there's anything specific you're after and want to come out that far, feel free to geekmail me or drop us an email to shop@eclecticgames.co.uk and we'll see what we can do for you.

If you're travelling further afield you might find http://www.findyourgamestore.co.uk/ useful.

HTH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Grzesik
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks a lot. I was going to go to central London anyway, so I'll hunt there.
Best,
P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls