Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Giron
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any good game stores in downtown Toronto, specifcally near the Hilton on West Richmond? I am going to be in downtown Toronto for business in a couple weeks and was hoping to check out some local games stores. Something within reasonable walking distance would be perfered as I won't have a car.

5 days x $100 per diam + skipping breakfast and eating cheap lunch = Shiny new game for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bets are:

The Hairy Tarantula (www.hairyt.com)
401 Games (www.401games.ca)
Game Trek (www.gametrek.ca)

There's also a Mind Games in the Eaton's Center, but I'd be more inclined to check out the other first.

All four are within walking distance. If you're willing to take transit, there are some others to check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is one of the ones mentioned above, but if you go over to the Royal York Hotel, there is a game store in the basement. It's pricey, but the selection is actually not too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Not sure if this is one of the ones mentioned above, but if you go over to the Royal York Hotel, there is a game store in the basement. It's pricey, but the selection is actually not too bad.
That would be Game Trek. They are, by far, the most expensive store I have ever seen. Caylus is $70 there. Those little 2-player Kosmos games are $35-40. You will sometimes find an out of print game there, likely due to the outrageous pricing turning everyone but the most desperate away. I have only bought one game there on clearance for half price and I still thought it was too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a game store (I forget the name) at 2 Bloor west (on the north west corner of Bloor and Yonge), in the underground plaza. They have a good selection of games, but the prices are higher than Hairy T and 401 Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
You will sometimes find an out of print game there, likely due to the outrageous pricing turning everyone but the most desperate away.
Tell me about it. I keep eying the copies of Wooden Ships & Iron Men they have, but they're $79.99. surprise

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
otrex wrote:
That would be Game Trek. They are, by far, the most expensive store I have ever seen. Caylus is $70 there. Those little 2-player Kosmos games are $35-40. You will sometimes find an out of print game there, likely due to the outrageous pricing turning everyone but the most desperate away. I have only bought one game there on clearance for half price and I still thought it was too much.
True. The only purchases I have made at Game Trek were a couple of out-of-print games that I found in their clearance section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
Your best bets are:

The Hairy Tarantula (www.hairyt.com)
401 Games (www.401games.ca)
Game Trek (www.gametrek.ca)

There's also a Mind Games in the Eaton's Center, but I'd be more inclined to check out the other first.

All four are within walking distance. If you're willing to take transit, there are some others to check out.
Thanks for the info, that is just what I was looking for! Also thanks to those of you for the heads up on the high prices at GameTrek. I'll be sure to hit HT and 401 first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:
There is also a game store (I forget the name) at 2 Bloor west (on the north west corner of Bloor and Yonge), in the underground plaza. They have a good selection of games, but the prices are higher than Hairy T and 401 Games.
Game and Hobby Zone

Go down into the Yonge/Bloor subway under The BAY and head left or west...

or come up from the Bloor subway line and follow the shopping corridor past shoppers drug mart, past starbucks, down some stairs, up some stirs and around a corner. It's right at a corner of the hall.

but as mentioned above, 401 games and Hairy T are the best prices and selection in the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got back from my trip and thought I'd post an update on my downtown Toronto FLGS experience.

I ended up staying at the Delta Chelsea rather then the Hilton which meant I was basically right next door to 401 Games and Harry T. My mission for the week was to find a game or 2 for a good price that I could easily fit in my luggage. Since most of the games I'm buying right now are of the lighter variety, I didn't expect it to be too hard to meet that criteria.

I went to the Harry T first and, as a looked up those steps I almost didn't go up. I had thoughts of going through that door and seeing the Gimp from Pulp Fiction! surprise I finally got over myself and I'm glad that I did. They had a very nice selection among which I was able to find a copy of For Sale. Sold! The store had a little gamer funk to it, but the staff was friendly, letting me know of a sale they were having when I walked in, and then leaving me be to browse. And no sign of the leather clad Gimp anywhere which was a bonus! laugh

Then I made my way over to 401 and the selection there was also good. It seemed their prices were also by and large cheaper then HT. A bunch of guys were over in the back playing some sort of CCG (probably Magic but I don't know anything about CCGs so who knows) which made it a little dfficult to peruse the games due to how crowded it was. No big deal though as I still managed to find many games that I was interested in. I decided on Hey, That's My Fish! and Ticket to Ride: USA 1910. When I brought them to the register I noticed that there were some small card games behind the counter so I also threw in Coloretto for good measure.

Oveall it was a good experience and it made me jealous since the FLGS's near me pale in comparison. I will be sure it hit these stores again the next time I'm in town.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

-Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls