Popular Tags: [View All]
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be in Cambridge, MA next week, close to MIT, for training. Are there any convenient game stores near there? I won't have a car, so walking distance is preferred....

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The classic store is "The Games People Play". I remember paying $48 there for a brand-new copy of McMulti back around 1985, when there were no stores in the US selling this kind of games.

It's a full-price FLGS, but it's definitely worth a visit. Here's a link:

http://www.thegamespeopleplaycambridge.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim K.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the Compleat Strategist across the river in Boston (201 Mass Ave.) - maybe a 20-30 minute walk from MIT (or take the #1 bus). Realtively small store and I haven't been there in years but they had a nice selection of wargames among other fare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Pandemonium at Central Square. It's great for Euro type games.

If you are doing training and have some time off, Wednesdays are board gaming at Pandemonium, from about 7 till 11 and Fridays at MIT, 7 till when we want to quit, generally 12-3, or never if we're playing titan.

If I remember correctly, there's also one in Coolidge Corner too. I haven't been to that store in a while, and don't remember the name, but they do board gaming at the holiday in every other tuesday I believe.

Those two, plus the two previously mentioned are the board game stores I visit. if you want CCGs, there's Your Move Games in Davis Square. It's also home to Battle Ground, I hope I got the name of the game right.

that should be enough for you to get your gaming fix I hope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, About walking distance, most things are T-accessible, meaning that you can use the public transport system to get to these places. Get a t-map at one of the stations, most likely Park, Kenmore, Downtown Crossing, or South Station. None of these stores are more than about a 5 minute walk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Lafayette
CO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skink wrote:
There's also the Compleat Strategist across the river in Boston (201 Mass Ave.) - maybe a 20-30 minute walk from MIT (or take the #1 bus). Realtively small store and I haven't been there in years but they had a nice selection of wargames among other fare.

Thumbs up to the Compleat Strategist. Not only do they have a good selection, but they're very helpful and knowledgeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Pandemonium and Compleat Strategist are your best bets. Very good selection and great customer service. Games People Play has a nice selection, but I (and others I know) have had numerous customer service issues with them.

Compleat Strategist lacks good evening hours though. Plus, Pandemonium is closest/most accessible from MIT (#1 bus to Central Square or Red Line to Central Square).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Waltham you have Danger Planet. great store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
if you want CCGs, there's Your Move Games in Davis Square. It's also home to Battle Ground, I hope I got the name of the game right.
Battleground

They also have a moderate selection of boardgames, RPGs, and such in their store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
badge
ACT AS IF THE TRUTH IS REAL
mb
That's pretty much the list. All great places (for different reasons).

Right near by (and all easily accessed w/o transfer from bus or T from MIT):
The Games People Play
Pandemonium
The Complete Strategist

A bit farther away:
Danger Planet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hickernell
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prestonisnormal wrote:
In Waltham you have Danger Planet. great store.

Yep, and gaming every evening. Check out their website (included above somewhere). Not super convenient from the MIT area but you can take the commuter rail (Fitchburg line, outbound from North Station in Boston) to the Waltham stop and it's about half a mile down Moody Street. There must be a bus, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Cobb
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do any of the above mentioned stores actually discount their games at all? I'm taking a trip next week from Boston, MA up through Portland ME and I'd love to stop at some of these stores.

I'll stop regardless, but put special emphasis on any that might potentially offer a good deal.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemonium has a 25 dollar store credit when you buy 250 dollars worth of merchantdise. I think Your moves does have something, but I completely forgot, I think a 10% discount if you spend 100 dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What preview button?
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one in Coolidge Corner is www.eurekapuzzles.com. I've never visited, but I get the impression from the website that they aren't strictly gaming, but also lots of puzzly things too. But they appeared to have a fairly nice selection of the right kinds of games too. So, ymmv. Check out the site first. (Coolidge Corner would be Red line at Kendall/MIT in to Park and switch to the Green line out ... B or C? I forget: http://www.mbta.com.)

As far as Your Move Games in Davis goes: it's not much of a destination shop for tourists unless you are looking for something in particular and you've called ahead and they have it. Small euro selection. Pretty extensive Warhammer selection though. http://www.yourmovegames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coolidge corner is C line, which is the Green line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the Boston Metro area just off the Turnpike so this is a great thread to help me figure a quick trip to get to Pandemonium and the Strategist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dujo wrote:
The one in Coolidge Corner is www.eurekapuzzles.com. I've never visited, but I get the impression from the website that they aren't strictly gaming, but also lots of puzzly things too. But they appeared to have a fairly nice selection of the right kinds of games too. So, ymmv. Check out the site first. (Coolidge Corner would be Red line at Kendall/MIT in to Park and switch to the Green line out ... B or C? I forget: http://www.mbta.com.)

I stopped by Eureka a few months ago when I went back to visit Boston, and while I definitely would have loved it had it been around when I was going to school in the area, I don't know if it's really a "destination" store. It's very small, with no playing area, but the staff was helpful, and they had a pretty good selection of games, mostly Euros.

Also puzzles and such, but I sort of ignored that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kuznick
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
Pandemonium has a 25 dollar store credit when you buy 250 dollars worth of merchantdise. I think Your moves does have something, but I completely forgot, I think a 10% discount if you spend 100 dollars.

Your Move also gives you a 25% discount if you have them order something that's not in stock, that they don't ordinarily carry. That was a couple of years ago, they may have changed policies since then. And obviously it doesn't help people passing through. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
Oh, About walking distance, most things are T-accessible, meaning that you can use the public transport system to get to these places. Get a t-map at one of the stations, most likely Park, Kenmore, Downtown Crossing, or South Station. None of these stores are more than about a 5 minute walk.

The kids and I had a great time yesterday pretty much riding the T starting a block away from Pandemonium at Central Square (Red Line) riding to Park and transferring to Green Line (Riverside route) west to Hynes station and then a short couple couple blocks south to the Strategist.

Pretty cool train trip for everyone. I grew up NYC subway and I've only seen trolley-style trains (on the Green Line) in Toronto. Cool ride - open air on the bridge over the Charles, too. We (Queens) New Yorkers are all familiar with always riding under the river and my Manhattan to Brooklyn trips were almost never over the lower east side bridges (Coney Island trips we under the river to on the F line).

Anyhow, it might've put me in the mood for railroad games because I was ogling Age of Steam expansion maps and I don't even have the game yet. My kids and I were treated very friendly at both stores. Lunch was at Spike's burger joint on Boylston (off of Mass) looking at the fence off of Rt. 90.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls