Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'll be in Frankfurt for about two weeks in late June. During the daytime of Monday thru Friday, my girlfriend will be working and I will be free to do whatever I want. I'm looking for any FLGS or hobby shops where I can buy and play some games. I have looked through this site and found some discouraging facts about Frankfurt. But since the last posting I found was in January, I was hoping for new shops that opened up or something I missed in the threads. If not, maybe some info on dept stores or thrift shops? Thanks so much. I appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah Frankfurt, the Detroit of Germany..

Anyways, you should be able to find a decent selection of games at any major department store such as Karstadt, Hertie, or Kaufhof. I'd be surprised if they didn't stock recent "Spiel des Jahres" winners. For more exotic items you would have to search for a specialty store though.

I just did a google search and there's a FLGS about 20 miles north of Frankfurt downtown :
Adam Spielt, Königsberger Strasse 10, 61169 Friedberg, Germany - (06031) 5029
This one's 5 miles northeast- you might be able to get to it via subway:
Faix, Borsigallee 26, 60388 Frankfurt, Germany - 06109 31771
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect some of the depressing facts were from me, and I don't have anything more recent to add since I haven't been shopping there since last year. It's a shame if the Zeil shop has closed, as someone else reported.

I've never been there on a Saturday, but I believe there is then a flea market on the south bank of the Main. Might be an interesting place to take your gf, to help her unwind after a hard week in the office?

Thrift ... there's one (Oxfam) at Merianplatz, on the U4 line, and another small one not far away from it as you walk towards the centre of town.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross_ wrote:
you should be able to find a decent selection of games at any major department store such as Karstadt, Hertie, or Kaufhof.
True. Don't remember seeing a Hertie. The other two have big central stores with games departments.

Quote:

Adam Spielt, Königsberger Strasse 10, 61169 Friedberg, Germany - (06031) 5029
Adam Spielt closed their online operation a while back. I don't know if they have a physical presence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tycho wrote:
Adam Spielt closed their online operation a while back. I don't know if they have a physical presence.
I found a post saying that they don't have a brick & mortar store, so I guess that address is outdated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, thanks for the replies ... ... regardless of how disappointing. I might hit up the flea market a little bit if we can fit it in.

Since I can't buy in person, which online store do you suggest I use. I can have the order sent to my hotel, but I need reliable and fast service, hopefully decent prices as well. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
River Otter wrote:
This is Frankfurt am Main, right?
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MatthiasC
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Gordon,

unfortunately there are no FLGSs in Frankfurt any more. Some of the other posters have already mentioned Karstadt and Kaufhof and their toy departments, but they only have the really popular games like "Spiel des Jahres" and the like.

In addition there is a Boardgame Café in Frankfurt: Café Vorspiel. It's a nice place, the food is ok, and they have a nice shelf full of board games. Their website is in German, but the pictures there should give you an idea what you can find there.

Give it a try, but bring some gaming buddies along to make sure that you can play there. If you should have the time to play, drop me a note and we can meet there for a game or two.

Enjoy your trip,

Matthias

Edits: clarity, spelling,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matthias. I would definitely love to meet up and play. I'll geekmail when I figure out my schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kreutzer
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a nice shop in Friedberg that has
RPG stuff as well as boardgames.

Pegasus Media
Strassheimer Str. 2
61169 Friedberg
Tel: 06031/721760

http://www.pegasus.de/laden.html

Unfortunately, you'll need a car and 20 minutes on
the Autobahn to get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard of this place, but I don't plan on renting a car just to get there. Is there any other way to reach the location? If not, guess I'm outta luck.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
...mmmmh MEAT
badge
FlgAbw
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also posted parts of this in your original Geeklist as a comment.

Personally, I travel quite a bit back and forth between Germany and the US and I always have a suitcase full of boardgames with me, going either direction. But bringing boardgames from the EURO-zone to the US can only pay off if you find:

a) Boardgames on sale
b) Great deals on Ebay

For a), check major department stores like Galleria Kaufhof or Karstadt. Depending on which city you are at, they will have a more or less decent collection of boardgames from the mainstream publishers (e.g. Kosmos, Ravensburger, Queen Games). The quality of selection is very dependant of who is in charge of the toy store department. Of course, the selection of what you will find in some German department stores might, in some cases, easily beat your local US FLGS.

Another option for a) is Toys 'R Us in Germany. They carry a large selection of boardgames for the mainstream publishers mentioned above. They especially seem to have cut great deals with Queen Games and you will always see some of their games on sale. In addition to that, Toys 'R Us often has special boardgame sales, like 3 for 2 or special items of the month. For example, last month they offered a 3 for 2 sale on all Queen items. I was able to buy 3 copies of 'Airships' (EUR 9.99) for a total of EUR 19.98. Another time the offered 'Thebes' + a free copy of 'Thief of Bagdad' for EUR 15.98.

German FLGS are not such a great option for good deals. Just like in the US, they have to compete with the major retailers and online competition. Mainstream games in those stores will be priced close to MSRP or above, making the games too expensive when coverted form EURO to US$. However, some of these stores are great if you are looking for special games aside from the mainstream. I have travelled several FLGS in Germany and can personally recommend (for collection, friendliness and atmosphere): 'Hiveworld' in Cologne, 'Fantasy Stronghold' in Ludwigsburg, 'Fantast-In' in Hannover, 'Pegasus Spiele' in Friedberg, 'Der Spielewahnsinn' in Schwaebisch-Hall and 'Merlins' in Wiesbaden (although not for friendliness). A good selection of German FLGS (although not always up to date) can be found at: http://www.gamemob.de/wiki/index.php/Spielel%E4den

For b), get a German Ebay account and search for your favourite games on German Ebay. I have already bought several copies of 'Web of Power' for ~EUR 5.00 and brought them back to the US. They will sell easily for >$30.00 on the BGG marketplace or Ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice. Thanks a lot. I will definitely keep this all in mind while I'm in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Duck wrote:
I don't plan on renting a car just to get there. Is there any other way to reach the location?.
You should be able to catch a train. If time is no such matter for you it could be an ejoyable trip giving you an impression of the landscape as well while travelling.

Flix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls