Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I have begun to question why I log my plays. The only reason I can come up with is to submit data for statistics that other people compile (Five and Dime and Friendless). Is there something bigger that I'm missing, why should I log my plays? I feel like I'm merely logging my plays as a slave to my obsession for the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmb
fargus9 wrote:
I feel like I'm merely logging my plays as a slave to my obsession for the hobby.

Dang, you took my answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
Becacause I'm.....

Insane in the membrane...I'M INSANE, GOT NO BRAIN ♫
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I am a numbers / Stat geek

2) it allows me to see what games I've played and what in my collection might be better in the hands of somebody else.

3) I am a stat geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I like rankings. I log plays so I know which game is "winning".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, just really dig recording my plays.

It gives me a feeling of "accomplishment" at all the time I spent with friends having fun when I look back on my stats.

And even immediately, I feel like I'm sharing my experience with the community a bit, even if it's just a simple click and not a detailed review or session report.

I'm not sure how important it is to log your plays really, so if it seems like a chore I'd say drop it...but click on your "games played" tabbed and scroll through, and see if that alone doesn't trigger some good memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that when your collection grows your memory can become vague about certain games. So it's great to look back on your games played history and find a game you really like hasn't been played for a while and bring it back into rotation. It's like discovering the game all over again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went to see what games I played back on July 5th 2007 and instantly I remembered the game night the situation and who was at the table. That's almost a year ago and I can still remember the event.

'Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like contributing to the statistics because I've found them useful.

When I first got onto this site and discovered modern board games one of the ways I found new games to try was looking at the games ordered by number of plays. I've found that games with lots of plays registered also tend to get lots of plays in my group so it's a useful thing to look at along with reviews and ratings when deciding what to pick up. I like contributing to this data since I'm not much of a reviewer.

I also enjoy knowing how much 'return' I've gotten out of my 'investments'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly? Because I'm bored at work at it's something to do.

...I'm so ashamed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't log my plays because it reminds me how little gaming I actually do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do it because it's fun to see what I've been playing, how much work my collection is getting, and all of that.

The extended stats by Friendless make great use of the data and are fun to sift through. I think his efforts to that end in particular have made me very glad that I log my plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmb
custom golf clubs wrote:
I am a numbers / Stat geek

FTW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I keep track of my plays both offline and on BGG. Offline, I keep my plays in a bound journal where I list the name, date, players, and final scores/positions for the game. This helps me keep track of what I've played, and how well the other players and I have done at it. Online, I track my plays because BGG keeps stats on plays, and can tell me with a few clicks how many games I played in a month, how many times I have played a particular game, and how many games I have played overall since I began keeping track of games played (coming up on 2000!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I may need an alibi someday.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I track my plays because I find it interesting to see what my gameplay habits are and how they change.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kaiser
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it for several reasons. One is so that other people can get an idea of what games are being played and the frequency at which people are playing them. I feel that looking at the frequency at which an older game is played is a great marker of staying power.
My more self-centered reason for tracking my games is to keep an objective record of what I actually play. Knowing how oftern I play a game helps me excuse paying money to buy other games or explain away the money I have already spent. I tend to be prone to hyperbole, so anything that keeps me honest is helpful.
-Abis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gilkey
United States
Eureka
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
I like contributing to the statistics because I've found them useful.

I feel the same way. I have found the information on BGG useful and therefor want to help keep that information up to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't log my plays for the same reason I don't blog. I don't care and I'm pretty sure noone else cares.

I keep my collection up to date, as that is pertinent. But what game I played on Tuesday? Not so much.

The whole play logging thing mystifies me. Then again I'm about as far from OCD as you can get...

Also...I don't get the whole solitaire thing. I just don't. Isn't the whole point to play with others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh! BGG Widget on your blog. That's the reason I do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How else would I know that Yinsh is the game I've played the most in my collection?

This actually influenced me to buy a copy of TZAAR, even though I already had a 2 player thinky abstract game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never used to, and then I tried it for a couple of months just to see what would happen. Even after just that short an amount of time I was surprised to see which games I was playing and which games I wasn't, so I've kept it up. It's just a matter of curiosity -- I don't keep track of opponents or scores or anything like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I like stats - it's always interesting (yikes!) to see which games are moving up (or down).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.