Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] MN [+] [View All]
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow I will be off to Twin City for 5 days and I am wondering if there is a local game store that anyone could recommend?

Thanks for the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Source Comics & Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. One of the best game stores I've ever been in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yollege wrote:
The Source Comics & Games.

Quoted for Truth.

It's one of the reasons I moved to the Twin Cities..!

The Source Comic and Games
1601 West Larpenteur Ave
Falcon Heights, MN 55113

Phone: 651 645 0386

Open Monday through Saturday 10 am to 9 pm, Open Sunday Noon to 6 pm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there public transportation available to easily get to The Source Comic and Games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lars Vogt wrote:
Is there public transportation available to easily get to The Source Comic and Games?

Yes, it is located on Snelling and Larpentuer and there are City buses that run up Snelling frequently. They also tie into University ave which is a major crossway from Minneapolis to Saint Paul.

Another alternative is Phoenix Games in Deephaven but you'd need a car to get to that one. They have fantastic prices and a good selection but they are out of the way.

The Source has a TON of good boardgames, but be prepared to pay MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you search for Metro Transit there is a utility on their website that will show you how to use the bus from one address to another, sort of like map quest. Ah heck let me find it:
http://www.metrotransit.org/tripplanner/default.aspx

The Source does charge MSRP on a number of titles but for 10 dollars you can get a Source card. The card gives you 10% off everything in the store so if you are planning on spending over 100 dollar it is a good bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daniels
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
I seem to remember a FLGS in the Mall of America from my trip last year. There is public transportation (including a light-rail system) out there. Not to mention over 500 stores selling everything. And an amusement park right inside!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redneon wrote:
I seem to remember a FLGS in the Mall of America from my trip last year. There is public transportation (including a light-rail system) out there. Not to mention over 500 stores selling everything. And an amusement park right inside!

There is a Games by James and an Air Traffic at the MOA. Air Traffic has some games, but has alot of other stuff too (Disc Golf, Juggling Supplies, stuff like that).

Thanks to everybody for filling in details on The Source. I wasn't able to go find the info, just leave a quick reply . It really is an amazing store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:

The Source does charge MSRP on a number of titles but for 10 dollars you can get a Source card. The card gives you 10% off everything in the store so if you are planning on spending over 100 dollar it is a good bet.

Ignoring the effects of the 6.5% sales tax:

When you figure in sales tax, you are pretty much paying MSRP, discount card or not. I don't have their actual prices but my experience has been they charge MSRP or very close to it for almost all games. Using MSRPs:

You *DO* end up saving about $12 compared to not buying the card, but it is still an expensive place to buy from regardless.

I do buy stuff from them (game bits & games I want to have RIGHT NOW) but I go into it knowing that I will end up paying MSRP or darn close to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the information!!!

Could anybody tell me, what "MSRP" means?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lars Vogt wrote:
Thanks for all the information!!!

Could anybody tell me, what "MSRP" means?

Manufactuer's Suggested Retail Price, I believe.

It is basically the maximum standard price that you would see in most retail establishments, and is the price that most "discounts" are based on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Source is a great store (Games, comics, books, movies, miniatures, and terrain modeling). And, to top it off, it has a good crew to talk with while you're in there.

I stop in over lunch often to say howdy and catch up; might even see ya down there.

I buy from them because I like them, I like having them around, and they really support the hobbies with effort and special events.

Yennen, when did you move up our way? Welcome and I hope you're having fun up here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in the middle of nowhere (tm) MN.

However, I travel to St Paul for work (almost to within lunch hour walking distance of this store) I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town.

As luck would have it, I'll be there this coming Monday-Wednesday.

So this thread was nicely timed for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Rebertus
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a store in Richfield, Mn called Universe Games. Richfield is a suburb of Minneapolis that borders its southwest side.

Universe Games has boardgames for 20 percent off of MSRP. They have a selection that is only about 1/3 the size of The Source's boardgame section, however. They have an odd mix of new boardgames and some stuff from a few years ago. The owner likes boardgames and has some knowledge of them. He is almost never there, though. The regular staff doesn't seem to like boardgames as much or know very much about them.

If I want something right away, I usually check this place first. I have found special orders to be a frustrating experience at this store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your suggestions.
I am in Minneapolis right now and will be leaving home tomorrow. I went to the MOA and found Games by James, but did not find anything interesting for me - Air Traffic seems to have closed down.

The Source Comics & Games was a hit though, although they have a lot of European Games which I can get cheaper in Germany. Unfortunately, their last copy of Wealth of Nations was sold some days before and I also couldn't find a copy of Race for the Galaxy, which I was eager to get... But it is indeed a nice Games shop!

So, thanks again for the good advice!
Lars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls