Popular Tags: [View All]
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a query, perhaps best answered by French users: where are the good game shops in Paris (ones that might stock English language versions also)? I'm going to be there this weekend and I was just wondering... Merci.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Fleischman
United States
Lemont
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oya Shop

I have been there twice--they are set up for gaming and you can rent games to play there with the cost of rental being deducted from the game price if you decide to buy. One item of note, the owner is selling his collection of games which included a lot of unusual German titles from the 90s and before. Last time I picked up few wooden box games (including a Sid Sackson title) from Schmidt Spiel (I think). If you speak French, you'll do fine of course. If you are a lone non-French-speaking player, the going could be tough in fitting in with other players. If you are with other English speakers who are going to play a game, then the employees will (somewhat grudgingly) teach the rules of a game in English. If you are just going to buy, then there won't be a problem (although when I wanted to buy the game Mont Saint-Michelle the owner wouldn't sell it to me until I pronounced Mont correctly--I don't know if he was honestly perturbed by my accent or whether he was just having some fun with me). If the games for sale are not international editions (with multiple languages) you're not going to find English editions there. I don't know exactly where it is any more (I have their business card at home and will try to post the address this evening) but I took the Metro to the Avenue des Gobelins stop along with the address and a map and found it. It's off the main road and, with street orientations being random it was a little hard to find, but was worth the effort. Have a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much appreciated. I will seek it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Fleischman
United States
Lemont
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have been looking for Oya's business card but have come up empty handed. I thought for sure I had it. If I can think of where it is, I will post it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Fleischman
United States
Lemont
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Got the address:
25 Rue de la Reine Blanche in the 13th arrondisement's Gobelins neighborhood.

More importantly, it's called the Oya Cafe. They do serve light refreshments but rest assured, they have games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks again.

I found it, actually easily enough. If you alight from the Metro at Avenue des Goeblins, it's just up the street and to the left.

I planned my day around a few things, and this was my first stop. I figured, "It's a cafe, so I'll go there and have a light breakfast maybe, look around, play a game maybe and go on with my day". I got there just after about 10am to find.... it opens at 2pm! Bah!

I guess it would have been great, given that it opens until midnight, but all I could do was look in the window. My schedule didn't really allow me to get back there in the course of my trip.

I did, however, find another place, and actually I do remember being there before some years ago, but had forgotten it: Variantes, 29 rue saint-andre-des-arts Paris 75006 (www.variantes.com), just around the St. Michel area along one of those streets mainly consisting of eateries. Very well stocked, but no play space. After looking around practically in tears at the amazing range of games (many of them not available in English, but they had all the major big box and multi-language games too), I contented myself with buying the Mr. Jack extension (I simply couldn't get anything much else into my bags, so I had to carry whatever I bought in a plastic bag, which made Twilight Imperium a no-no). Funnily enough, while I was there looking and holding the extension in my hand, two other people bought copies of the basic Mr. Jack and I could hear the retailers telling them there was an expansion only they didn't know where it was...

Thanks again for the tip on Oya. Next time I'll organise my time differently and get there later in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Fleischman
United States
Lemont
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hob69 wrote:

...I did, however, find another place, and actually I do remember being there before some years ago, but had forgotten it: Variantes, 29 rue saint-andre-des-arts Paris 75006 (www.variantes.com)...

...Thanks again for the tip on Oya.
Darn! I totally forgot about the late opening in spite of the fact that it got me, too. Luckily I arrived only about an hour before it opened so I had no problem killing the time. I am glad you found another store (and thanks for that information--I will have to keep it in mind next time I'm there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls