Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Katrina @ Boxed Cat Gamers
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Nuts! is a crazy dice game that introduces kids to the concept of "push your luck." It supports 2-4 players ages 8 and up. It's part of Gamewright's 12-Minute Game series and really does play that fast.

The game consists of a scorepad, pencil, and 9 custom dice.

At the beginning of the game, each player is given a "dog die" -- a 6-sided die where 5 sides have houses and 1 side has a dog.

The remaining 5 dice are given to the starting player. These dice (the "squirrel dice") are also 6-sided dice, with 2 sides showing acorns, 1 side showing a car, and the remaining 3 sides showing squirrels.

On your turn, begin by rolling all five squirrel dice. Any die that shows a car is immediately removed from play. Any die that lands on an acorn scores you 1 point. At this time, you may re-roll any dice that landed on acorns or squirrels. For every roll during your turn, you have two options:

1) Keep a running total of all acorns rolled so far on your turn and keeping rolling any dice that land on acorns or squirrels (placing cars off to the side); or

2) Stop rolling, taking as your score the total number of acorn points you've accumulated.

The push-your-luck aspect comes into play because if, at any time, you roll all cars, your turn ends immediately and you lose all accumulated points for that turn. The key is collecting as many acorn points as possible, while stopping before you roll all cars.

Now, what about those squirrels? So far, they're just sitting there.

If you happen to roll all squirrels, you lose all points accumulated so far in that turn, but you immediately start a "Go Nuts round." Shout "Go Nuts!" (we treat this as an optional response) and grab the squirrel dice you just rolled. Roll those dice over and over as fast as you can, adding up acorns as you go. Cars don't matter -- just keep going. Now...while you are rolling like crazy, all other players must roll their dog dice as quickly as possible, over and over, until they roll a dog. Once everyone has rolled a dog, you must stop rolling and record the total number of acorns rolled during the Go Nuts round as your score. It can get pretty loud and crazy!

Pass the dice to the next player. The game continues until one player reaches 50 points. Naturally, you can adjust this goal to make a shorter or longer game.

I thought Go Nuts! was a great way to introduce kids to the concept of pushing their luck. It's not too stressful, since the crazy "Go Nuts! round" pops up regularly and almost guarantees points, but it really makes kids think about whether they should stop and keep their points safe or roll "just one more time."

[Note: This review, in slightly different form, originally appeared on my personal blog. My blog would most likely be labeled a "mommy blog," and is read primarily by other women, many of whom are wives and mothers. My goal in providing game reviews on my blog is to introduce others (particularly families) to games that they might not find during a quick trip to Wal-Mart or Toys 'R Us.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Mejor Juego de la Vida
Chile
Santiago
Region Metropolitana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not just a kids game, it's an awesome family game and also a great drinking game. The laughs never stop with my gaming group and everyone that was introduced to this game wanted to buy it.
We change a few rules: for example, in our case if you don't scream ¡ardilla! (squirrel) you can't win points in a Go Nuts round. Also, I think that the game is more stressing for the guys who are trying to roll a dog, than the one who is collecting acorns.

A blast.
By the way, nice review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vince wang
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thx for the review.
Just want to clarify two things
If u choose to reroll, u have to rerol all the available dice right? Can u choose only to reroll some of them?
When go buts happens, the active player keep rolling all the rest available dice or all the five dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.