Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I would like someone to confirm, but as best I can tell Die Monster game store in Cumberland Maryland is kaput. I attempted to contact them this weekend and got a "number no longer in service" and spoke to several locals who indicated they had a going out of business sale last month.

I used to stop there when staying at Rocky Gap Resort. Apparently there weren't enough people like me for them to make a go of it.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats too bad. I used to stop in there on my way to Columbus from the DC area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jeffries
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Die monster games went out of business at the end of May. Business there had dwindled to almost nothing. The business owners were forced to close the store due to lack of business. According to the owner Sarah, they started losing business in 2006 when the gas prices starting rising after katrina. They tried moving in 2007 to a smaller location from the burton shopping center to a new location on mccmullen highway lavale, but that didnt help and during 2008 there was hardly no business at all. CUmberland just does not have the support base of customers to maintain a game or comic book store in this area. They were the last comic book store in this area. They are not operating the ebay store either. I was one of their last few remaining customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary McNemar
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yea i used to go there for magic: the gathering on friday nights. Its sad to see a store like that go. I was there on the last day it was open. If any of get any information about the store, owners, or any other magic arrangements in the area email me.

Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Nanes
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the brick and mortar options left for those of us in Maryland then, especially in Frederick or Montgomery County?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I count three --

1. Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie.
2. Family Game Store in Savage.
3. Arkham Asylum in Aberdeen.

Feel free to add to the list.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Nanes
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, those are not close to the counties I mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

"Local" game stores have a life expectancy of about 9 months right now. Your best bet is to get on the mailing list of any stores within an hour of you so that you will be notified of their going-out-of-business sale.

Soon to be a bygone era.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schraml
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theres dream wizards in rockville, but their board game selection is kinda lackluster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schraml wrote:
theres dream wizards in rockville, but their board game selection is kinda lackluster

I know they used to have a decent selection, but it was poorly displayed.

Is Other Realms still in Gaithersburg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
dream wizards in rockville

I try to go there when we go vist my wife's sister, one of my favorite places to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Child's Play in Chevy Chase, DC is two blocks from Montgomery County (just south of Chevy Chase Circle on Connecticut Avenue), has a good selection of gamers games, a great selection of kids games (Haba, Selecta), a knowledgeable staff, and they'll order almost anything you need/want (and can usually get it within the week). It's walkable (15 minutes?) from the Friendship Heights metro stop. No table space for gaming.

And my orders from gamesurplus.com usually arrive the day after I made them, so I think of them as my FLGS as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Broh-Kahn
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Baltimore City and County still have a few FLGS... In fact, I have stopped buying new stuff on line, because I have come to the realization that brick and mortar stores NEED my bizness.

I shop at Renaissance Games in Fallston, and there is also a great store in Towson on York Avenue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I count three --

1. Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie.
2. Family Game Store in Savage.
3. Arkham Asylum in Aberdeen.

Feel free to add to the list.

Sag.

Canton Games at Essex and Fleet streets in the Canton area of Baltimore City.

Walt's Cards and Games off German Hill Road in Dundalk.

Both carry wargames (Walt's has more than Canton), Euro's, family games, CCG's, RPG's and miniatures.

And, sadly, neither is near Frederick or Montgomery counties (although both are within 15 minutes of my home, so I'm good. Although my bank account isn't).

Arkham is in Aberdeen? He used to be just a couple of minutes away from me. I thought he was moving to Bel Air. Glad to hear he's still operating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Fenton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am looking to start a comic/gaming store in LaVale if anyone is interested in attending again please let me know, thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is West End Comics in York, PA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
StevenFenton wrote:
I am looking to start a comic/gaming store in LaVale if anyone is interested in attending again please let me know, thanks again

Let me know if you open one. I'm out that way a couple of times a year.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
Plenty of stores in Maryland though.

Not in Naptown. And I believe the entire Eastern Shore is empty.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
jgerman wrote:

Sag.

Yes.. shocking that niche hobby stores would be nearer to the higher population centers

Games & Comics & Stuff is only 40 minutes away from Annapolis by the way.

And yet, downtown Baltimore, DC, and Annapolis have nothing in spite of having high population densities. Anne Arundel County is one of the most populated parts of the state and has one store in the far north of it. DC is painfully wanting. Baltimore has stores on its outskirts but I believe nothing inside the city.

Given the huge tourist traffic generated at the beaches, I am very surprised that there is nothing along the Atlantic coast in either Delaware or Maryland.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
jgerman wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
jgerman wrote:

Sag.

Yes.. shocking that niche hobby stores would be nearer to the higher population centers

Games & Comics & Stuff is only 40 minutes away from Annapolis by the way.

Baltimore has stores on its outskirts but I believe nothing inside the city.

Sag.

As I already said, there is Canton Games at Essex and Fleet streets, which is in Baltimore City. Walt's Cards and Games is minutes from the city line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Reznik
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
canton games isnt close enough to downtown for you sag? i've been to both canton games and renaissance games and both are good.
canton may be a bit cheaper and they often have sales. the owner of the store was at the register every time i've been there. the selection is great, though you may need to ask her where something is since everything is crammed onto a few shelves without much in the way of order. there are also some comics and action figures/statues but i dont know if what they have is a good selection since i'm not into that stuff.
renaissance is a bigger store, but i feel like the selection isnt any bigger than canton's. this place doesnt have comics/figures as far as i remember, but there is a lot more in the way or miniatures and supplies for painting and whatnot. the biggest advantage of this store is that there are tables in the back to play games and a bunch of open demo games on the shelf. it is a bit out of the way though unless you live in perry hall or thereabouts.

sorry if i missed this, but what/where is the game store in towson? i live in pikesville so this one would be the closest one to me. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Google is saying it's a forty minute walk from where I work -- it's now officially on my "nearby" list. Thanks for the tip.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Canton Games is a nice little shop. Unfortunately it doesn't have the room in-house to gather and play games. The owners wife did mention to me once that many gamers will take their games out to Patterson Park (which is like half a block away) when the weather is nice.

I primarily split my business between Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie and Family Game Store in Savage. Ed at Games and Stuff is a great guy, and the property has a very large area upstairs for playing games. Just as an FYI, there is a board game night every second tuesday of the month at Games and Stuff.

I haven't really gotten to know the folks at Family Game Store. I just found out about it right before Christmas, which is odd, because I live in Columbia, about 15 minutes away. They also have a huge play area, and have board game nights every Saturday from 6 until.

Both stores have great stock, and all of the owners and employees are friendly and knowlegable.

I try to make it out to Canton games from time to time, but I am hardly ever in the city. Brian and his wife are great folks as well and run a great little shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
slateman wrote:
What are the brick and mortar options left for those of us in Maryland then, especially in Frederick or Montgomery County?

I highly recommend The Game Parlor, in Chantilly VA. It's maybe 30 minutes from Rockville, so not close but not exactly far. It's well worth the trip.

They also have a Woodbridge VA location, which is right across the street from Potomac Mills Mall. So if you're ever dragged to that mall, you can at least go to a first class FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently there's a new store in the Baltimore area. The owner just posted on a new thread.

Xanadu Games.

We just opened up a couple of weeks ago and I just wanted to give a shout on BGG forums letting people know we're here. We're right by the 95 // 695 Junction south of the city. We are specifically located at:

3921 Vero Rd. Suite B
Baltimore, MD 21227
www.xanadu-games.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |